Ranking Metta World Peace's tweets on Jeremy Lin
Just as everyone wondered if Linsanity would translate when the New York Knicks hosted the Lakers last week, World Peace had trouble resisting a few playful digs when he talked to reporters, including The Times' Mike Bresnahan.
First at his game: "I know he used to miss layups on the fast break at Golden State. I know he used to turn the ball over at half-court. He was trying to find himself. He must have had a lot of pressure on him. Now, he's playing ball."
Then World Peace made fun of Lin's appearance: "We think he needs a better haircut. I don't like that style. We're in New York, the fashion capital. You're a star now."
Lastly came World Peace's poking fun at Lin's personality: "Put down the nerdy Harvard book glasses. Put on some black shades with some leather pants. Change your style. Put down that law book. Stop reading the New York Times. Come to practice with your pants sagging and just tell them, 'I don't feel like practicing.' Come to practice with a cigar lit."
Yet, when Lin made a game-winning three-pointer en route to a 90-87 victory Tuesday over the Toronto Raptors, World Peace stormed out of the Lakers' players lounge yelling at the top of his lungs.
Based on his revelation that he wants to buy Lin's jersey and his frequent tweets about the Knicks star, World Peace's infatuation with him surely hasn't died down. Below are a few of his best examples.
1. God created earth in 7 days, Jeremy Lin created energy in new York city in 6 games...
2. Chinese currency should say LIN instead of YEN...
3. Jeremy Lin can score on anyone without a ProbLIN...
4. I will be holding a press conference on Jeremy Lin's play. My congregation is very pleased. The best point guard in the NBA is here...
5. The only reason Jeremy Lin is playing in the NBA is because he is blessed and its not a LINconvenience to him...
6. Jeremy aka 'Mr. New York' Lin will be purchasing half the empire state building. No autographs until after season; sorry for the inconvenience.
E-mail the Lakers blog at email@example.com
Photo: Lakers forward Metta World Peace dunks over Atlanta center Zaza Pachulia during the third quarter of Tuesday's game. Credit: Allen J. Schaben / Los Angeles Times