Attorney: Ex-Laker Javaris Crittenton to surrender to police
Former Laker Javaris Crittenton, wanted because of his alleged involvement in a fatal drive-by shooting in Atlanta, will surrender to local authorities Tuesday, his lawyer told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
"Mr. Crittenton wants to clear his name," Brian Steel told the newspaper. "He's innocent of the charges."
Authorities allege that Crittenton fatally shot Jullian Jones on Aug. 19 in the woman's driveway in Atlanta. Police told the Journal-Constitution that Crittenton, 23, had reported being robbed of jewelry earlier this year and might have mistaken Jones as the thief when he opened fire as he drove by in a sport utility vehicle. Police had been seaching for him for several days, and the FBI was correct in believing Crittenton was in Los Angeles. He reportedly plans to take a red-eye flight from Los Angeles and arrive in Atlanta on Tuesday morning.
Crittenton played a limited role with the Lakers after they selected him with the 19th pick in the 2007 NBA draft, appearing in 22 games and averaging 3.3 points. But he was part of the seven-player trade with the Memphis Grizzlies that sent Pau Gasol to the Lakers.
Crittenton pleaded guilty and was sentenced to probation on a misdemeanor gun possession charge stemming from his confrontation with teammate Gilbert Arenas in the Washington Wizards' locker room in 2009. Both players were fined and suspended by the NBA for the rest of the season.
E-mail the Lakers blog at firstname.lastname@example.org