Kobe Bryant foul upgraded by NBA

Lkaqnpnc
The foul Kobe Bryant committed against New Orleans center Emeka Okafor in Game 5 was upgraded to a flagrant one.

Bryant smacked Okafor across the face and neck with 3:14 left in the game Tuesday night at Staples Center but was called for just a foul on the play.

But after the NBA reviewed the play, Bryant had his foul upgraded.

The Lakers were informed of the upgrade during Thursday's shoot-around.

Incidentally, Okafor missed both free throws on the play.

-- Broderick Turner, reporting from New Orleans

Photo: Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, right, fouls New Orleans Hornets center Emeka Okafor as he goes up for a shot during the second half in Game 5 of a first-round NBA basketball playoff series, Tuesday. Credit: Mark J. Terrill / AP

kobe said that even if the tests were taken and " even if it was broken, i was going to play". Dr Buss said that even "when we didn't make the playoffs i thought we would win the title" I LOVE THESE GUYS!!

What does a F1 mean?? Dude can play today right?? Thats what all matters. I think Kobe might not worry about the fine!!

This must be what NO's coach is talking about.

"This must be what NO's coach is talking about.

Posted by: Magia32 | April 28, 2011 at 01:58 PM "

Monty looked frustrated after this one, the Shannon Brown elbow, the Ron Artest elbows in the first quarter, and on a few of Carl Landry's drives to the basket. Actually I guess he looked frustrated just about every time they panned over to him.

Well, what a surprise...the NBA looking out for its own team. If that's not a conflict of interest, I don't know what is.

That has been my one and only concern during this series...the league making sure their team does well. Guess we'll know tonight if the officiating is a little "off".

Just reeks of hate. Suppose lakerfans should be lucky he's not suspended!

"Steve, I think the flragarant comes with a "pocket change" fine, that's all. No suspensions.

Posted by: EastCoastJessie | April 28, 2011 at 02:04 PM "

I actually don't know if there is even a fine. I think fines and suspensions are only given out if it is ruled that the flagrant merits one.

It's just a point on his record. I think they get 4 in the playoffs before they're suspended for each additional point.

"Bay To LA/LakerTom,

As a long-hair, another thing I don't like about Michael Jordan is the "Shave Your Head" Baldness Epidemic he created.

Before Jordan, no one was shaving their head. But Michael was balding and didn't want to make it apparent, so he just decided to completely shave his head. Since the world had become programmed to "Want to be like Mike!" through Gatorade ads and whatnot, everyone started shaving their head.

Now every city in America is filled with wannabe gangsters with shaved heads looking like they just got out of a prison camp. It's threatening and unattractive and completely lacking panache.

Thanks a lot, Jordan, for introducing a totally sucky style into society. Well done, you degenerate gambler!

Posted by: Jon K. | April 28, 2011 at 01:31 PM "

I don't have much of an opinion on bald heads but isn't Jordan also credited for making the baggier shorts popular? That was one change that was great for the league.

Darth Stern is pure evil and must be destroyed.

It's a $1,000 fine and no additional penalties.

Section VII--Fines
a. Recipients of technical fouls for unsportsmanlike conduct will be assessed a $500 fine for the first offense, and an additional $500 for the second offense in any one given game, for a minimum total of $1,000. If a player is ejected on (1) the first technical foul for unsportsmanlike conduct, (2) a punching foul, (3) a fighting foul, (4) an elbow foul, or (5) a flagrant foul, he shall be fined a minimum of $1,000.

I agree justa...how are you?

Carl Landry and Emeka Okafor hammer the crap out of Gasol and Bynum, so I don't know what the hell Monty Williams is talking about. Shannon Brown's elbow got more air than his jump shots have gotten lately, so that makes no sense either. Now Fish, on the other hand, is the type of physical defender that Monty isn't used to seeing against CP3 because no other NBA lead guard plays as physical on defense as Derek Fisher does. Too bad, Monty. CP3 can deal with that himself. Look for Fish and the Lakers to be in foul trouble early tonight. For you Derek Fisher Haters in this forum, that means more of Steve Blake tonight.

Posted by: KobeMVP888 | April 28, 2011 at 02:17 PM
---------------------------------------------------
I was kinda hoping for more Trey Johnson.

Speaking of Stern, did anyone see the article on Yahoo Sports about Stern wanting to bring the international goaltending rules to the NBA? I don't watch international ball but it seems like these rules would be abused in the NBA. Horrible idea.

Mike Callahan, Courtney Kirkland and Ron Garretson get the ref assignments tonight.

If F1 had been called during the game, it would have resulted in two foul shots, after which NOH would have retained possession. I guess we got lucky it was not called during the game.

Hell...even if their next possession resulted in a 4pt. play they still would've lost. Water under the bridge!

To quote the great basketball philosopher Rasheed Wallace "Ball Dont't Lie." Indeed sir the ball don't lie.

Posted by: Bay to LA | April 28, 2011 at 02:13 PM

@888.. Appreciate the comments on gasol but no way that guy withstands the physicality of play of those yesterdays IMO. No way! Some players games are just better suited for certain eras and his style of play is tailor made for todays whistle happy ticky tack rules. Can you imagine what charles oakley would do to pau today? Actually let's not go there.

Posted by: yellofever | April 28, 2011 at 01:50 PM
====

Pau Gasol would have eaten up the better-than-average Charles Oakley (lifetime 9.5, 9.5) in a 7 game series. What did Charles Oakley ever win? Nothin'. He was 6'8", 225 pounds. Carl Landry is 6'9", 250 pounds. My point is that the 90's were overrated and Charles Oakley, a cheap imitation of Paul Millsap (6'8", 245), is a microcosm of exactly what I am talking about.

Pau Gasol is a future Hall of Famer. Charles Oakley was no more "physical" than today's bigs. Think of him as an upgrade over Chuck Hayes, but not by much. Judging Pau Gasol by how he has performed in this series, or even this season, is ridiculous.

Kobe deserved a F1 on that one!

@Lew – Thanks for the roll call.

@Rob/NBA4ever/snake/Mrs. Bay to LA – Time zone is part of the reason the Lakers get the 8pm start, but I’m sure the Commish also wanted the strongest game to compete vs. the NFL Draft.

@MVP – I agree Pau would’ve been good no matter what era he played in. But I wouldn’t consider him one of the most underrated. I think he gets a lot of recognition…most skilled big man, etc.

@TNT – congrats on the Friedman. I hope you’re right about Boston beating Miami. I would love for the Lakers to have HC and delay the Lebron/Wade express as long as possible.

@LT – I haven’t listened to Cowherd this year, but in the past 2-3 years I felt he was more than fair to the Lakers. Maybe I just caught him on his good days. Congrats again on the classic Laker moment you and your grandson shared. I’m sure that moment will become more special to him the older he gets.

"Why would we be "lucky" snake...we won by 16, not much 3 points would've done for NO.

Posted by: EastCoastJessie | April 28, 2011 at 02:25 PM "

It wasn't a game saving call by any stretch but momentum can work in funny ways. Look at the Vujacic/Dragic flagrant from last year.

Hats off to NO (especially CP3) for making this a tough series. However, now it’s time for the Lakers to “Turn the Page” on this series.

Bob Seger – Turn the Page

@JovBatz – Let’s Get Physical….let’s do it!

@Mark G - Way down in the Hole..haha. Now you got me ready for the Wire, Avon, Stringer Bell, McNulty and co.

@jefe – I’ll take Santana word…It’s winning time for the Lake show.

@mclyne – Rocking the Peppers…yes sir the Laker express can’t be stopped!

justanothermambafan,

Agreed.

But how?

Exposure to sunlight?

A silver stake through the heart?

Throwing him down an abandoned mine shaft and filling it with liquid lead?

There has to be a way!

"Bay to LA, Jordan is currently on a campaign to bring back the Hitler mustache as well with his Hanes commercials but so far there are no takers.

Posted by: Bako Laker Fan | April 28, 2011 at 02:30 PM "

Yes the mustache is disgraceful.

Posted by: LRob | April 28, 2011 at 02:33 PM

=====

Not if you listen to Lakers fans. The reason I say he's underrated is because he is THAT good. In fact, he doesn't even crack Bill Simmons' Top 96 players of all-time, and Bill Simmons is an NBA addict. He puts guys like Robert Horry and Tom Chambers ahead of Pau and Dirk WELL ahead of him. Pau might get "recognition," but he's still not viewed as one of the great 7 footers of all-time. That's where I think he's underrated. He could have played and played well in ANY era.

"Hey Monte you want some cheese with than WHINE !!! God 1st we cant punch back and then you piss us off and we nail you and you go "crying " again...just play and shut up, you wont have to worry after tonight, your asses going fishing !!

Posted by: berko | April 28, 2011 at 02:31 PM "

Monty is doing what just about every coach does. When you feel your team isn't getting a fair shake or if you want to try to get an advantage, you make some comments. Phil definitely hasn't been shy about doing it over the years.

Bay to LA,

Jordan is responsible for making shaved heads popular.

Rodman is responsible for making ubiquitous ridiculous tattoos popular.

Put them together with gangsta rap and you get a nation embracing the visual display of thug life.

Toxic.

KobeMVP888,

In terms of pure SKILL, Pau Gasol is Top Ten, arguably Top Five Big Men of All-Time.

This is true Horse***t!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully stern beleives in reincarnation so he can come back as a public toilet...

Time for the lakers to move past their breakfast.... onto lunch! ha

that wasn't the worst thing that happened to okafor that night.

"Bay to LA,

Jordan is responsible for making shaved heads popular.

Rodman is responsible for making ubiquitous ridiculous tattoos popular.

Toxic.

Posted by: Jon K. | April 28, 2011 at 02:44 PM "

What do you think of Joe Smith, Lamar Odom, and Derek Fisher going with the bald look? Are they sending kids down the wrong path? Or how about Ron Artest's rap aspirations?

I don't understand the connection you're making.

@888.. Oakley no more physical than todays bigs?? BOLOGNE!!! This guy was one of the meanest SOBs of his time and even went toe to toe in a wrestling match with shaq. What does his size have to do with anything here? One hard intimidating shove by oakley on pau and guarantee pau would wilt like a flower. One factor you're severely underestimating is the refs LET THEM PLAY back then and even fight it out with no penalties or repercussions. That meant you better walk the walk if ur gonna talk the talk and physical intimidation played a big part... And I give full credit to pau on dwight in the finals but dwight has one of the most pleasant dispositions in the NBA today.. He's a gentle giant... As for garnett puhlease this guy is all bark no bite..

But enough of this stupid hypothetical talk warping a player from one era to another. This aint freakin playstation!

Hey MM, are you onsite in NO? If you have the chance to interview Trevor, could you ask him what words were exchanged between him and Kobe, just before The Dunk?

"I'm pretty sure Phil will have a dig about the league fining the Lakers so New Orleans, a team they owns, has a better shot to win

Posted by: Mark Medina | April 28, 2011 at 03:09 PM "

Yeah he already made that kind of comment about the Carl Landry trade. All coaches make comments, complaints, send videos to the league, etc. to try to gain an advantage. If someone is going to call Monty Williams a whiner, they're calling every NBA head coach a whiner.

I don't understand the connection you're making.

Posted by: Bay to LA | April 28, 2011 at 02:53 PM

@Bay to LA

Don't waste your time trying to rationalize with dogmatic JonK the biggest hypocrite around, he is our bigot uncle of the blog you just got to accept it and try not to get into it because you will never get anywhere. I personally think long hair men are creepy and slimy ;) but who am I to judge. LOL

888,

You think Pau should be one of the greatest 7 footers of al time?? LOL.. Sorry but I find that very comical!! Pippen barely cracked his top 50 and he was an 8x ALL DEFENSIVE NBA FIRST TEAM and used to show up to play EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK AND TWICE ON SUNDAYS AND ESP VERY PLAYOFF GAME!!!!

Posted by: KobeMVP888 | April 28, 2011 at 02:42 PM
-------------------
He's been All-NBA 3rd team the last two seasons and an all-star last 3 years. I think that's more than fair. As far as one of the greatest 7 footers of all-time I not sure what you're looking for there. I wouldn't take him over Ewing or DRob. While I agree he would've been very good in any era; I do think he benefits from not having to play against many other HOF big men.

I picked up Simmon's book last weekend, but haven't read much yet. Comparing Pau to Horry is a joke. However, Chambers was one of the top scorers for a 4-5 year span and scored over 20,000 pts so I don't consider that an insult, but I would take Pau over him because he has a better all around game.

Bay to LA,

Jordan is responsible for making shaved heads popular.

Rodman is responsible for making ubiquitous ridiculous tattoos popular.

Toxic.

Posted by: Jon K. | April 28, 2011 at 02:44 PM

I am sorry to do this Jon K., but when did it become 1998 again with this thug life nonsense, should I be getting Jiggy with it. Rap is dead, if you hated rap then you should be happy.

It's been awhile since I came in to post -- Lewsters is doing roll call now and I got axed? -- but I just want to say whatup to my blog brethren and share the love on game day. Closeouts are our specialty. Eat it, Nawlins!

#17, here we come.

Jesterguru of the North Woods

I'm not on site in New Orleans unfortunately so can't help you in that department

Bay to LA - Yeah it's all part of the gamesmanship. I wouldn't take it as anything more than that.

Lrob,

Ur gonna enjoy simmons book.. I'm finally on pg 350 of 700 and its been over a month! You gotta read the book to really understand his criteria of top 100 and of course he's got some very questionable picks (and lots of celtics btw) but all in all very sensible and enjoyable!

KobeMVP888,

Posted by: Jon K. | April 28, 2011 at 02:47 PM
------------------
Jon K,

I appreciate Pau's contributions. The Lakers wouldn't got the last 2 rings without him. However, top 10 let's not get carried away.

Kareem
Russell
Wilt
Olajuwon
Moses
Shaq
Mikan
Thurmond
Duncan
E. Hayes
McHale
Ewing
Karl Malone
David Robinson

Who on this list would you bump out? Plus there's a few others I left out...I just saying.

Posted by: Mark Medina | April 28, 2011 at 03:29 PM

---
MM,

Sorry to hear that.

First, they won't let you have an intern; then no out-of town assignments. Man, finance control must be really getting tight at LA Times.... 8-(

888,

Posted by: yellofever | April 28, 2011 at 03:19 PM
=====

That's your opinion. Pau's been a champion on the world stage, is a 4 time NBA All-Star, has 2 rings, and has a VERY consistent 19 and 9 average in 10 NBA seasons. Scottie Pippen was a 6'7" point forward in Phil Jackson's system, so I don't quite understand the reference other than Bill Simmons' list. Besides, I did NOT put Gasol ahead of him. I also find it funny how you 90's fans have such a selective memory about the Bulls and how perfect they were every time they took the floor.

As far as 7 footers are concerned, however, instead of just throwing mocking taunts my way, explain to me how he hasn't been superb as Kobe's Robin? As soon as he came to a team with any talent, he became an instant winner. Tell me, what did Patrick Ewing win? Nothin'. It took Tim Duncan to make David Robinson his second banana before The Admiral won anything. Bob Lanier? Zip. Nate Thurmond? Nada. Karl Malone? Nope.

No, Pau's not Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Hakeem, Moses, or one of the great centers, but he's right there with Kevin McKale as a power forward, only in a different way. He's obviously not Tim Duncan or Kevin Garnett either, but their games have similarities and as Timmy reached his 30's Pau surpassed him and last year he outplayed Garnett. Given Pau's body type and the amount of basketball he has played the past 4 seasons, it wouldn't surprise me if he's already started to slow down, but up until now he has proven to be among the great 7 footers in the history of this game. He's just different than all of them. Let's hope he proves me right and gets his second wind as these playoffs progress. Then again, he's already proven it as far as I am concerned. I recognize and appreciate all he has done already.

"@Bay to LA

Posted by: NBA4ever | April 28, 2011 at 03:17 PM "

Hahaha I just thought it was a weird connection to be made. Like because Jordan shaved his head or Rodman got tattoos, immoral behavior was somehow promoted and accepted. There's a real lack of personal responsibility that is implied by those connections. I feel that people are responsible for their own actions at all times and the fashion choices of complete strangers does nothing to change that. I hate when the NBA, music, or movies are used as a scapegoat for people's own poor decisions.

Mr Medina

Look how much fun the blog is today without moderation? No comparison; great comments, great back and forth conversations ... now if we could get a nice, decent argument started then we are back to normal.

Btw KobeMVP888, the PSP agree with you 100% (shudder) on Colin Cowherd; even though he is more of a football guy, you can tell he is pretty intelligent and has some great viewpoints. Only thing is that when you call into his show, he cuts you off before you can make arguments against him.

Thanks
PSP Intern

Does MM stand for Mark Medina or Mr. Medina?

"Only thing is that when you call into his show, he cuts you off before you can make arguments against him.

Thanks
PSP Intern

Posted by: Practice Season Police | April 28, 2011 at 03:40 PM "

Are you speaking from experience? If so, I hope you gave him a ticket.

ECJ - I'm doing well, thank you. The knee surgery may have been a success - not sure yet LOL!! Gotta do my PT and then we'll talk. How about YOU. How YOU doin..?

JonK - personally I'd love to put him in a meat suit in a room full of lions and let them have at it. But that's just me.

JESTERGURU!!! Hey!! Long time no see!! Hopefully you're back now. I always meant to thank you for being the first on here to ever respond to a post of mine... that made me feel at home. Unfortunately a lot has gone on since then that has made this place.... NOT home for lack of a better word... but regardless - it's good to have some of the regulars coming back.

Lew - get Jesterguru on the Roll Call man!!

T minus 90 minutes.... I'm so excited!!

GO LAKERS!!

PS - MM - maybe you could ask one of your LAT cohorts-on-the-road to ask either Kobe or Trevor what they said to each other. You do communicate with each other, no?

@LRob - you left out Walton (and I don't mean Luke).

Kareem
McHale
Ewing
Karl Malone
David Robinson

Posted by: LRob | April 28, 2011 at 03:33 PM

====

If the Lakers three-peat, tell me where I am being unreasonable.

What about the flagrant foul on Bynum? Did anyone else see Grey push Bynum with BOTH hands while he was in the air, trying to catch a lob pass? Absolutely NO play on the ball whatsoever. Dangerous. Lame. THAT was a Flagrant 1 foul. No league review on that one?

Go Lake Show!

Lrob,

Posted by: yellofever | April 28, 2011 at 03:29 PM
====

I finished it awhile back. Wait until you get to the last chapter. I won't ruin it for you. If you take away his Celtics bias and Lakers hatred, as an NBA fan I found myself agreeing with him more often than not.* Definitely a fun and funny read.

* If I was a Celtics fan, I would have agreed with everything he said.

LRob

All of this Pau talk proves my personal point about him, to me at least. :)

He's a vastly UNDERRATED player historically.

Justa,

Sorry to hear about your surgery. Really hope the surgery helps. I had to have surgery too in March. Fractured neck in a car accident in December so I had fusion done. Completely sucked but I'm feeling much better now.

My advice for the Lakers tonight:

Make this your Game 7. Don't act like you've got another chance to close this thing out. Pretend that this is your last chance to win the series, and then make it happen.

Go Lake Show!

Posted by: Bay to LA | April 28, 2011 at 03:40 PM

@Bay to LA

You know that Marilyn Manson was the reason those kids did Columbine. lol

Time to put the Cherry on top of this pie tonight and sends the Hornets packing tonight.Laker fans don't need no extra druma, just FINISH EM!

Go Lakers!

re: Pau & the HOF.

nope. He's not going to get in. At least not on the first ballot.

I am not telling you that he doesn't have skills. He does.
He's not *nearly* as athletic as other big men.

He's not *nearly* as aggressive as the other big men.

That spanish softness is going to prevent him from getting in.

*Laker* homers, say he's the great & we won championships with him, therefore
he should get in.

"Non-Laker" fans will say: Kevin Love. Dwight Howard. KG. Dirk!

re: this - He could have played head-to-head with any of the following: Mikan, Thurmond, Hayes, McKale, Ewing and Robinson.

my response: While he may have the skill set to compete with them, it's
questionable if he had the athleticism or toughness to play with them.

I say he's one of the most offensively skilled big men in the league. I don't
think I put him in the HOF because he got a chance to play with Kobe. If
we take that stance, Luke is a fantastic basketball player. Not good. Fantastic!

"He could have played head-to-head with any of the following: Mikan, Thurmond, Hayes, McKale, Ewing and Robinson. The fact that he surpassed Duncan a few years back is evidence of that. Just my opinion. Look at it this way. How did YOU react when we traded for him? Didn't you AUTOMATICALLY think dynasty? I know I did. Why? He's THAT good.

If the Lakers three-peat, tell me where I am being unreasonable.

Posted by: KobeMVP888 | April 28, 2011 at 03:44 PM "

I think Pau is absolutely underappreciated on here. There is a lot of attention paid to his finesse or softness but his combination of shooting, rebounding, passing, shotblocking, and basketball IQ is really unparalleled around the game. If he has a game where he is pushed around a bit, people seem to get fed up with him very quickly.

I think that all of those guys that LRob named would also be in line for a 3peat if they were on this Lakers team so I don't know if the Lakers winning this year changes Pau's ranking. He's better than Garnett and Duncan right now but Duncan and Garnett both started their decline around Pau's current age. He's very good and he has been a near perfect fit for the team but I don't know if I can put him above anyone on LRob's list.

@Justa
Surgury? What surgery? What is going on? Whatever it is, my family and I will be lifting you up in prayer!

Checking in after working 18 hours straight on trying to recover my desktop computer from some virus. Using my laptop for a while. May take 2 weeks to get my whole computer back, but right now it is time to get dinner and get ready for Lakers to close out!

New rooting hat was put on after 1st quarter last game, so I'll try it again.

Go Lakers! Go Kobe!!!

Anyone who post on this blog live in Portland or the surrounding area?

If the Lakers three-peat, tell me where I am being unreasonable.

Posted by: KobeMVP888 | April 28, 2011 at 03:44 PM
---------------------------

I didn't say you were unreasonable. I wanted context when you said "one of the greatest 7 Footers all time. And yes I was ectastic when the trade went down.

But c’mon MVP, Mikan dominated his era. And yes Pau could’ve played with Thurmond, Hayes, McHale, Ewing and Robinson, but I’d take all of them over him. Big E, Ewing and DRob were all much more dominant and all-stars as a #1 option. If you’re telling me he’s better than those guys then we can agree to disagree. BTW...I've defended Pau as much as anyone on this blog this season (excluding Ricky...lol).

Pau is an exceptional role player on Kobe's team, just as James Worthy was with Magic's team, and Wilt Chamberlain became with the Logo's team. Pau is an exceptionally tall small forward, as is Lamar.

Posted by: Bay to LA | April 28, 2011 at 04:02 PM
===

I didn't put him above anyone on the list, but he could compete with the guys I listed head-to-head. The reason he's not viewed among the greats is because he's been the best second best player on his team and not a very successful best player on his team, but Pau had no one with the Grizzlies. But if you look at Simmons' list, guys like Kevin McKale were also second best players on their team. In terms of guys who were #1's like Ewing and Robinson, they achieved nothing as #1's. The Big E did win a championship in his later years as a #1, but Wes Unseld was right at his side. Anyway, I agree that he's underappreciated and I maintain that he's historically underrated and would have been an excellent player in any era.

@fever/MVP - I'm looking forward to reading Simmons. I read his BBall related articles onlisten to his podcasts on ESPN. Anyone that loves hoops that much is all good with me.

@hobbit - I say Pau has a good chance to get in if he performs at his current pace for another 2-3 seasons and then have a few more decent seasons after that. His NBA and International accomplishments and numbers will warrant it. If the Lakers win another chip he'll be that much closer.

Enough of Pau's ranking talk....lets get the W today and rest up!

A team can only "belong" to one player, no matter how good the teammates. Magic knew to let the Lakers remain Kareem's team until the big man was ready to relinquish the throne. In 1969 Wilt was still trying to win a title all by himself, by '72 he knew better. West was so smart he deferred scoring-wise to Goodrich. Shaq expected Kobe to do like Magic but Bryant had no patience. Imagine if they knew then what they know now; there would be several more banners hanging at Staples Center.

All this negativity about Pau Gasol is just too much for this Laker fan to handle, he is having a bad series as is Lamar Odom and to a lesser extent Kobe Bryant. The only Laker who should feel great about this series is Ron Artest, the Lakers are struggling to wake up but keep the faith they should be fine. That being said even if the Lakers were knocked out of the Playoffs too early I would still give Gasol and the rest of the Championship Lakers a ton of respect for making three straight finals appearances, so exclude Blake, Barnes, and all the terrible big men on the Lakers bench.

@there in 69 - good insight.

@Bako - I don't consider it negativity to discuss Pau's place historically. I agree as far as a lot of credit to all the guys going for the 3peat.

Lakers, and Laker Fans, Shalom.

I upgrade KB24's foul to a Flagrant 1. You should know why, here's what I stated couple of days ago.

I would like the LAL-NOH to go a 7 game series. Here's why. As you know, the NBA acquired the Hornets and is need of (and rely on) the revenue/profits to support the team. I will assure you that the game will be called fairly in LA, and in future LAL games. I hope you understand. The NBA is organization like any other, and we rely on profits for sustenance.

Thank you for your cooperation. You've been the biggest revenue generator for the NBA, by far.

Signed.
David, Stern NBA Commissioner.

"@MVP/Bay to LA - he may be underappreciated here, but not overall as witnessed by all-NBA selections.

Posted by: LRob | April 28, 2011 at 04:27 PM "

Agreed.

"Lakers, and Laker Fans, Shalom.

Signed.
David, Stern NBA Commissioner.

Posted by: David, Stern Commissioner of the NBA | April 28, 2011 at 04:44 PM "

It's going to cost the Hornets money to fly back to LA for the game 7 and they don't get a piece of the gate. I guess there's a TV share. Gah.

Let's close themut tonite lakers and get ready for Dallas.

Good, it should have been. This was a dirty foul.

Hey JAMF - Sorry I didn't see your message until now. Yeah we definitely communicate to each other even when they're on the road. But it's not really within my bounds to assign them and tell them to ask Kobe or Trevor that question. They have their own reporting that they're doing and editors to report to plus deadline. But I'll definitely shoot a note to them and see if the answer came up. If I see a story that mentioned it, I'll pass it along.

JonK is absolutely right on the money about Michael Jordan and the shaved head craze that made every city look like it was populated by recovering cancer patients (a "look" adopted by gangsters/thugs). Dennis Rodman, too, with his over-the-top tattooing and piercing is obviously a mental case.

As for Lamar Odom and the other players with the shaved heads and the tattoos, they ought to be ashamed of themselves. And this moral vacuum of "anything goes" is a direct outgrowth of the "do your own thing" attitude that sprang out of my generation (the otherwise great Baby Boomers) in the 1960s. So the younger readers/posters of this blog will no doubt lump me in with JonK and call us a couple of old geezers who need to "get with the program" and let people do whatever they want to do. Sadly for these intelletually-deprived people, all they can do is resort to ad hominem attacks instead of addressing the substantive arguments---just like children.

And that "politically correct" attitude, ladies and gentlemen, is why our culture is now a wasteland, and we are a Third World culture. Diversity in nature is a biological necessity for survival; cultural diversity within a society, on the other hand, is the kiss of death, since it implies a lack of standards; when there is a lack of standards, there can be no excellence. And when there is no quest for excellence, then our identity as a people perishes.

No kidding.

Flagrant fouls, sprained ankles, the list goes on and on.

Nothing can stop women from feeling Kobe's wrath!