Caught in the Web: Reactions to Lakers' 89-88 loss to San Antonio Spurs

59195360

Alert: The Times' Mike Bresnahan will have a live chat Friday from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. to address all things Lakers. Bring your questions about the state of the Lakers!

Game stories

--The Times' Bresnahan focuses on the Lakers' lapses late in the game in their 89-88 loss Thursday to the San Antonio Spurs.

--The Orange County Register's Kevin Ding focuses on the Lakers' and Spurs' old age.

--The Riverside Press-Enterprise's David Lassen argues it shouldn't be surprising that the Lakers lose to elite teams.

--The San Antonio Express-News' Mike Monroe details Antonio McDyess' tip-in.

--The Daily Breeze's Elliott Teaford details how San Antonio took the game from the Lakers.

Sidebars

--The Times' Broderick Turner highlights Lamar Odom's willingness to take responsibility for the loss. Turner also details Pau Gasol's excitement to be playing in the NBA All-Star game and Odom's disappointment in not making the Western Conference team.

--The Times' Kevin Baxter, Lisa Dillman and Bresnahan detail the logistics involving the Lakers', Clippers' and L.A. Kings' extended trips during awards season.

--The Times' Bresnahan focuses on Jerry Buss' appearance during the Lakers' shootaround on Thursday, and a conversation he had with Ron Artest.

--The Riverside Press-Enterprise's Lassen notices that Odom is taking the news he won't be in the All-Star game in stride.

--The Daily Breeze's Teaford highlights Gasol being picked as a reserve for the NBA All-Star game.

Columns

--The Times' Mark Heisler highlights Gregg Popovich's contention that the Lakers are the best team in the West.

--The Orange County Register's Ding notices that the Lakers haven't been playing with much joy.

--NBA.com's Scott Howard-Cooper argues the Lakers can make the trade talks go away if they win against elite teams.

--Sports Illustrated's Lee Jenkins argues Clippers forward Blake Griffin has eclipsed Kobe Bryant as the NBA's top entertainer.

--Yahoo! Sports' Johnny Ludden argues the Lakers' vulnerabilities are exposed.

--ESPN Los Angeles' Dave McMenamin credits the Lakers for their effort.

--The Riverside Press-Enterprise's Gregg Patton credits San Antonio's longevity.

--Fox Sports' Billy Witz looks at the state of the Lakers.

Blogs

--Ball Don't Lie's Kelly Dwyer dissects the Lakers-Spurs boxscore.

--ESPN Los Angeles' Brian Kamenetzky breaks down the Lakers' loss to San Antonio.

--Lakers.com's Mike Trudell has a running diary of the Lakers-Spurs game.

--Forum Blue and Gold's Darius Soriano argues this Lakers loss stings more than others.

--Silver Screen and Roll's C.A. Clark credits the Spurs for their execution, but also mentions the result came down to luck.

---48 Minutes of Hell sums it up best on why this was a good win for the Spurs: "Antonio McDyess’ game winning tip-in marks only the third time ever in an NBA regular season that Gregg Popovich has cracked a smile."

Tweet of the Day: "Stayn hm while team goes on the road. Gotta get this knee rite. Tough east coast swing. Should b ready 2 start practicing once they get back" -- Matt_Barnes22 (Lakers forward Matt Barnes)

Reader Comment of the Day: "The season's performance is usually the highlight window of the playoffs. what you see now is what you usually accomplish in the future. It does not pay to cram or shortcut success." -- Edwin Gueco

Twitter.com/latmedina

E-mail the Lakers blog at mgmedin@gmail.com

Photo: San Antonio forward Antonio McDyess is mobbed by his teammates after scoring the winning basket on a tip-in at the buzzer during the Lakers' 89-88 loss Thursday at Staples Center. Credit: Wally Skalij / Los Angeles Times

I wonder why we don't give this a shot:

PG-Kobe
SG-Lamar
C-Drew
PF-Ron
SF-Pau

I know match ups, but don't you usually want your best 5 players playing the most and together? I mean, it's worth a try.

Celts played .500 ball their last 54 games, turned out fairly well for them too.

As I was torturing myself through yet another horrible Lakers game and our boys made their late rally, I thought to myself in the last minute that maybe it's not such a good thing if we pull this one out. When will we ever learn then? Well, guess what... Not that I think this will spark any big turnaround for that matter. This bunch will never learn. What more motivation do they need? This was the league's best team they were facing. But nooo, why play good basketball for 48 minutes just because of that? So let's all hope that "switch" ain't broken yet. We're gonna need it in the playoffs - on the ROAD.

It may also be time to give Shannon a REAL shot at playing major minutes, don't see how it could hurt and would allow us to find out if he is really a player or not.

What most upset me about last night's loss was that the Spurs beat us like they were the Lakers.

By this I mean that the Lakers have had more last second, pulling-victory-from-the-jaws-of-defeat victories than any other team in NBA history. This is how we win. This is NOT how other teams--particularly the Spurs--are supposed to beat us.

I must say that I'm vexed. I'm very vexed.

I gotcha Jon K. I think by the time we face the Spurs in the Playoffs, we'll have it together and really Timmy seems to be a shell of young Timmy. Kinda feel bad for him, such a good player. I think age is catching him quickly.

PLG (and whoever else wants to read about my observations from my seat at Staples center last night)

Fish played stellar defense on Tony Parker in the first half. The haters refuse to see the good things he does. He tried to send a message for his teammates on the opening defensive play of the game by taking a charge against that brute DeJuan Blair, who gets love from the refs. Dude pushes in the back on every play and gets away with it. Anyone who could not see Fish's defense on TP in the first half is blind. He stayed right with him and TP didn't get off to his normal hot start against us. So Fish did some very good things for us last night.

I was very, very disappointed with the Lakers execution on offense last night. This has been a pattern. Way too much iso; not enough triangle. Granted that had something to do with the Spurs defense but when Ginobili and Hill are riding Kobe and no calls are made and when Kobe's forced to pass out of triple teams in the lane when he's getting hit with no calls, it's tough, especially when your teammates are standing around doing nothing.

I'm convinced that the Lakers biggest problems are both poor execution on offense and a lack of aggression. The more aggressive team gets rewarded by the refs and that was clearly the Spurs last night. They had way too many second chance opportunities which forced too many defensive possessions for us. Also, we play for about 20 out of 24 seconds and then have a tendency to break down. It's hard to watch.

I though we sucked last night. It is VERY clear that teams think they can beat us, but we lack that confidence against them. I think it is more subconscious than conscious because clearly the Lakers are trying outwardly, it's just that the opponent is giving it that extra oomph.

HAVING SAID THAT, I'm glad we competed. I smell a #4 seed and a second round battle with the Spurs. This could be 2003 all over again. I am utterly disappointed with how badly Shannon Brown has devolved from the beginning of the season and there were too many holes in Artest's game on offense again (although he played stellar defense which is his role) and I think the all-star snub got to LO last night. I am happy with what I saw from Steve Blake and Bynum; I'm glad Blake is getting more aggressive each game.

Finally, while as everyone knows I defer to Phil jackson, I was expecting to see all three of our bigs in the game for the last 4.6 seconds to avoid exactly what happened. If Bynum was in the game, I don't believe that McDyess would have snuck in for the tip and I mentioned this to my friend BEFORE the possession. Perhaps PJ figured if he put Bynum in, that would give the refs an excuse to call a foul. Who knows.

I did not sleep well after I got home from Staples Center last night, that's for sure, but at least we took a baby step. My emotions trumped my rational thought, but being there was very, very hard. We are supposed to protect our home court against every team and this is very unnerving. The fact that we can't hold and/or extend leads at home is both annoying and irritating. however, we CAN beat this team in a 7 game series.

So.... where is everyone??? I'd say mostly mad? Am I right? Or are we more "meh"? Personally, I was irritated, but not as much as I thought I'd be. I saw great defensive sequences, I saw a more agressive Ron, I saw Blake getting some good pressure minutes, and I saw more of the Black Swan Pau that Kobe likes. Yes we had lapses, most of them on the offensive side imo, and some pretty bad shooting. It took the so-called best team in the league a last-second tip to beat us. I'm ok with that. Socks didn't even play at the end. We are still the team to beat in a PO series. That hasn't changed. No one said the Road to the 3-Peat was going to be an easy one. It's going to be a roller-coaster ride all season long. If you're not used to it by now, I don't know what to tell ya! Stay true, Laker Nation. This ain't over by a long shot.

Good post KobeMVP888.

I think it's funny and fitting that Pau Gasol's new nickname is the Black Swan. Dude actually plays like a swan. He's soft, but he's very athletic, like a ballerina. I can dig it though because Pau gets the job done more often than not.

Go Lakers!

Thanks Rocky. I was calling Pau "Swannie" all night.

@Sonnybelfast

I love it when Laker haters spend so much time on our sites, spewing their poisoned opinions. It reminds me what a dominating force our team is when other teams fans pay so much attention to the Lakers. GO LAKERS!!!

Posted by: LakerFan4Life | February 04, 2011 at 09:45 AM

Dude..the reason Trolls and Haters come into your house is because they can. Eat your food, take your women, PUNK the LAKERHOLIC on the blog and watch the Lakers get PUNK. Where else can you go and get SOoooo much PLEASURE.

"I don't like the team's play right now, but I didn't like it at the end of the regular season last year, 4-7 in the last 11 games. Turned out pretty well, however.

Posted by: D(erek)J(eter) | February 04, 2011 at 10:59 AM"

The thing about that 4-7 in the last 11 is that Kobe missed several of those games and I think Bynum missed every single one of them. They already had HCA secured in the west so there wasn't a huge urgency to win those games.

It was not a good way to finish the season but the concern was more about health than anything else.

Derek Jeter,

Do you remember the legend of "The Weirdness?"

It seems every season The Weirdness falls upon us, from where and for why, I cannot explain to you nor any man. It's just there.

The Weirdness destroys offensive cohesion, leads to boneheaded decision-making, creates malaise and ruins defensive focus. The Weirdness seems to happen every year to the Lakers like a kind of spiritual flu season.

The question is not whether The Weirdness will happen or not. The question is when The Weirdness will happen and how long it will stay for. Well, it seems to be upon us. Let's hope it leaves quickly.

What do we play for? RINGS!!!!

Derek Jeter,

Do you remember the legend of "The Weirdness?"

What do we play for? RINGS!!!!

Posted by: KobeMVP888 | February 04, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Dude...C'MON, it's pratice season. If you're having problems sleeping after a tough loss, do like most of your 27 bloggers......HIT THE PIPE.

If you're not used to it by now, I don't know what to tell ya! Stay true, Laker Nation. This ain't over by a long shot. Posted by: justanothermambafan | February 04, 2011 at 11:34 AM
GOD$$##@!!~!~!!! Say no more Justanothermambafan!! We have received our orders and our rallying cry" STAY TRUE LAKER NATION. THIS AINT OVER BY A LONG SHOT" I'm with ya JUSTA!! LAKER NATION...LET'S RIDE AMIGOS!!!!! WE STILL GOT THIS!!!!!!
And oh by the way justa...OUT FREAKIN STANDING MA'AM!!! Carry on!

@Jon K, But of course, it is so obvious brother!!! And now we have the answer...IT'S THE FREAKIN WEIRDNESS!!! Thank you sir for reminding the Nation of this! LETS RIDE AMIGOS!!!!!

Mamba24- Dude do I hear another BANDWAGON coming?

Mamba24- Dude do I hear another BANDWAGON coming?

Posted by: G.Money | February 04, 2011 at 11:59 AM

Mamba-

Have you thought about a bandwagon to pick up those jumping off the bandwagon?

"

I must say that I'm vexed. I'm very vexed.

Posted by: Jon K. | February 04, 2011 at 11:05 AM "

Exactly what I thought. The lucky buzzer beater shot at the end of the quarter, the winning basket at the final buzzer, it was always the Lakers winning that way before.

The feelings I feel about this one point loss are proportionate to the feelings I would have had, had the Lakers won. Had the they (Lakers) won, the team still play bad D (3rd quarter) and O, but they lost and as bad as the defense (3rd quarter) and offense was, they still only lost by one point.

Honest questions (curiosity) and hope to get honest unbiased answers.
For those who are team Fisher.

Why do you guy n gals think Fisher sat the entire 4th?
What made Phil make that decision?

Posted by: Magia32

Because Fisher's defense on Tony Parker was atrocious. He was shooting 1 for 5 at the time. He was -14 for the game and nobody else was close to it.
And the Stubborn Master wanted to win this game !! With Blake in they shut down Parker and almost won the game. Should I continue ? Or is that enough reasons ?

Posted by: G.Money | February 04, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Kind of like when we beat EVERYONE the last two years and still own the Championship banner. Come to Staples, I'll show it to you. That's what gives me SOoooo much PLEASURE.

G. Money,

What food, what women fool?

So what do you do when the Heat get punked, because they have and they will just a few more times this season. It seems that the Heat are 35-14 and the Lakers are 34-16 with both teams having a 5 win- 5 loss record in their last ten.

So leave our women alone and you ain't gettin' none of our food either. By the way our women don't like chumps, they only like champs.

To my folks,

I was disappointed but not angry. It's the 1st time this season in my opinion that the Lakers played like the game mattered. They didn't lose because they didn't play hard or smart, or turn the ball over a ton, they lost because as a team, (especially Kobe) they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn last night. Even so it took a last second tip in for San Antonio to win.

Heat Shmeat. Whatever.

MVP - awesome - THANKS SO MUCH for that post. Seriously, I said the same thing (to myself) the last 4.6 seconds but then quickly realized this was February.

I don't think we have that championship swagger (i.e. confidence) yet as I believe they are trying to remain tempered.

IMHO, since this team has a lot of mileage, I think PJ is completely focused on (especially at this point in season) health and monitoring minutes. And he will pick and choose carefully when to let them play and when to make them sit. It may completely confound us fans (novice, rookie, vet, semi-pro, pro, coach). But any injury now would likely affect the team's championship aspirations.

I totally agree that LO's AS snub got to him but that was the immediate. I think he will use that as fuel to be the impact playerr we need him to be for the remainder of the season. That helps us!

Thanks again MVP888 - good stuff.

PLG

Have you thought about a bandwagon to pick up those jumping off the bandwagon? Posted by: 131-92 | February 04, 2011 at 12:09 PM
Naw 131, I don't think so. True Lakerholics would never jump off and if you aren't a true LakerHolic...LMAO!!!!!!!!! But thanks for the suggestion sir!

@LongTimeLakerLover, Fan of The Mamba & Justanothermambafan, The Swagger, The Laker Pride...OUT FREAKIN STANDING FOLKS!!!!!!!! WE STILL GOT THIS LAKER NATION!!!!!

Posted by: mamba24 | February 04, 2011 at 12:31 PM

Like a "Rescue Bandwagon" and make sure you take Gary Vitti with you because there's gonna be a lot of ankles to tape!

Im just looking out for Laker fan!!

Derek Jeter - I don't think moving Ron to the PF spot would be good. He has the physical bulk and work ethic, but he doesn't have the height advantage

I think what last night proved was that the Lakers-Spurs playoff series would go to seven games and really could be determined on late-game execution. Both teams are well coached and extremely experienced. It really looked like a chess match out there last night

Jon. K., and Bay to LA,

Come on guys we lost several close games the same way last year.

Sunday, January 24, 2010 to the Raptors by 1
Thursday, February 18, 2010 to Boston by 1
Sunday, March 7, 2010 to Orlando by 2 , prior to this game to Miami by 3 in overtime and to Charlotte by a bunch. After the game against the Magic I knew there was still life in the old legs. I feel the same way after last night game against the Spurs.

As Jerry Buss said just yesterday, "I'm kind of used to up and down," he said. "We've had a lot of up-and-down seasons that turned out pretty up...and a few that have turned down. I'm not surprised or anything. Nothing's different."

Is he still hopeful the Lakers can pull off a three-peat?

"I'm always hopeful," Buss said. "Even when we didn't make the playoffs, I thought we'd win the championship."

I still say the problem was Phil trying to change the winning formula from running the offense through Kobe to running the offense through Pau. It messed up the mojo and it'll take just a little while longer to get the swagger back. But it's coming! Kobe can get the ball to the right people they just have to make the shots. That truly was the difference last night in IMHO, that is the inability to just put the ball in the bucket. Ten assists for Kobe doesn't even tell the story of how many times he passed out to a wide open Derek, Steve or Ron and they missed the shot.

Last night showed me that they just might be rounding into form, not there yet but rounding into form. The game mattered to them as a team and that's real good to see.

>>>The season's performance is usually the highlight window of the playoffs.

Well, yes and no.

The Lakers got swept by Orlando during the 2008-2009 season, before thumping them in the finals.

Last season, the Lakers finished the season on a 4-7 run, the Celtics flopped the whole second half of the season, and Cleveland DOMINATED... during the regular season.

Yet, the Lakers and Celtics staggered into the finals, while Cleveland folded.

I don't think you could win 50% of your games and win a championship, or anything like that. But as long as you have one of the top 4 or 5 records during the regular season, you have a reasonable chance of making the finals and winning it all.

131

>>>Have you thought about a bandwagon to pick up those jumping off the
>>>bandwagon?

It happens every year (in fact practically every time they lose a game).

We don't need a bandwagon for them.

I like to think of them as roadkill.

Posted by: Fan of the Mamba | February 04, 2011 at 12:19 PM

Dude...That's what the Lakers are playing like CHUMPS, btw most women are shallow with SHORT memories like most on this site.

RCOTD = EDWIN GUECO = OUT FREAKIN STANDING SIR!!! KUDOS

"Jon. K., and Bay to LA,

Come on guys we lost several close games the same way last year.

Sunday, January 24, 2010 to the Raptors by 1
Thursday, February 18, 2010 to Boston by 1

Posted by: Fan of the Mamba | February 04, 2011 at 12:48 PM"

Very valid point, but now look at how many games they won last year in that same fashion. I know these games have happened to them at the past, but I'm much more used to the Lakers being on the other side of it.

We don't need a bandwagon for them. I like to think of them as roadkill.
Posted by: LongTimeLakerFan | February 04, 2011 at 12:54 PM
NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!! Preach LongTimeLakerFan, Preach!!!!

longtimelakerlover- Dude or Dudette.....You'll have to start living in the NOW, to many of your comments are PAST related Posted by: G.Money | February 04, 2011 at 12:56 PM
Let's see now, according to the NOW that I am aware of The Freakin LA Lakers are still The NBA champs and the Heat have not won a thing. Second I think 20 plus teams in the NBA would like to have the record these "chumps" have. Finally, LongtimeLakerLover is not a dude or dudette but a Real Laker Girl. Carry On!

"Well, yes and no.

Yet, the Lakers and Celtics staggered into the finals, while Cleveland folded.

Posted by: LongTimeLakerFan | February 04, 2011 at 12:50 PM
"
True, the regular season doesn't make or break anything, but Boston had a quick start when everyone was healthy and then as their health declined, their play declined. They were mostly healthy for the playoffs and went back to where they had been before. Cleveland mostly coasted through the season, but Boston did give them major problems in the regular season. They're probably the only team in the east that could have beat them.

The Lakers, as I mentioned, had injury issues with Kobe and Bynum in those last 11 games and when they came back, they were better again.

Health doesn't really seem to be the problem for these Lakers so it is going to take some work to correct the issues. They can't sit around and hope it all magically fixes itself when the playoffs start.

G. Money,

I don't know what women you're dealing with, cause Laker women have very long memories. What say you Justa, Psyched, Zaira, Eastcoast, et al!

If the Lakers are playing like chumps, they need to keep up the good work as they are tied for the 5th spot in the League. If they were chumps they'd be in the bottom 5. Can they play better, yep! Will they play better, yep! Will they be the last team standing, Yep!!!

The"man" called me into work this morning, so I'm a little late...

I can't believe I had to stop recording "30 Rock" just to watch the Lakers blow a golden opportunity to win a "statement game". Mrs. DBDH was clogging up the DVR with "Private Practice" doubling up on Tina Fey and company. The Lakers take priority, but MAN! What a letdown! Now I know how all the other teams feel when the Lakers pull that last minute magic on them.

However, my seat on the bandwagon will only be occupied by another once I check out for good. Until then... Lakers forever! RAWR (battle cry)!!!!

DBDH!

Fan of the Mamba -

You're right, of course. RLG's have VERY long memories when it comes to all things Laker-related! That's what makes us better than the Laker Girls on the court. We can shake our pompoms AND carry on an intelligent conversation about basketball! (Not necessarily at the same time, but we are multi-talented so don't discount that happening LOL!)

But are you asking me about something a troll said? Once they show their true troll colors I commence scrolling by their posts, so I have no idea what the little fella said recently. It's all just blah, blah, blah.... to me.

Bay,

And what did we say about those last second, last shot wins? We called them fool's goal and decried how that way of winning wasn't a long term recipe for success. Bay remember, champs never do it the same way thrice!!!

Every year, folks say the Lakers can't depend on kicking it into another gear in the playoff and every year they do. Seems to me you have to give them the benefit of the doubt until they provide evidence to the contrary. As long as everybody is relatively healthy, it's gonna be on. The Lakers will not be an easy out come playoff time. More than that, they know what's at stake and they're slowly preparing themselves for the challenge.

That's what seasoned vets do, they bide their time. They don't waste a lot of energy, because they need to conserve theirs for the final battle. They do just enough to make sure they position themselves near the top. They let the young pups run around all frisky, thumping their chest and preening and then they lay the smack down.

Don't sweat the small stuff, our guys have been here too many times, they know what it takes to win. Peak too early, you're done, Peak too late, you're done! Peak just right and you're champions 3 times in a row!

I wonder why we don't give this a shot:

PG-Kobe
SG-Lamar
C-Drew
PF-Ron
SF-Pau

Posted by: D(erek)J(eter) | February 04, 2011 at 10:57 AM

---

The Triple Tower starting lineup was tried only once last year, against Portland when Kobe was injured. It wasn't successful; Portland kept pushing a fast pace and the defense could not set up quickly enough. Stu L also commented before that a Triple Tower lineup would render Kobe as a perimeter jump shooter. This effectively takes away his mid-post game, which Kobe's most effective offensive weapon.

"Bay,

Posted by: Fan of the Mamba | February 04, 2011 at 01:31 PM "

When you win the close games consistently, I think it can become something more than fool's gold. They were doing it in the playoffs the same way they did in the regular season. Is it lucky? Maybe. But so often it all comes down to who has luck on their side.

I'm not sure what you mean by kicking into another gear for the playoffs. In my opinion, the last time they really had that was with Shaq and even then, it came up unsuccessful a couple times.

They were the 1 seed in the west each of the last 2 years. They were ranked ahead of their eastern opponent each of the last 2 years. It's not as if they have been off the radar and came out of nowhere to win.

This loss hurts because the Lakers showed some heart. After a good recovery to lose in the last second.

They didn't execute right. Made a lot of mistakes, but showed will to play and that I respect from this team.

I prefer a team making mistakes but showing some will to play,
rather than the team we sometimes watch in games against Milwaukee, Indiana, Memphis at home where they appeared to be zombies.

The effect is the same a 'L' in the standings. But I prefer the way they played yesterday.

Keep the faith in the team.

Posted by: Bay to LA | February 04, 2011 at 01:13 PM

Bay,

I still contend that Kobe and Bynum's knee surgeries had an adverse effect on the Lakers, though the Lakers seemed to have started out of the gate quickly and successfully. Pau was the focal point of the offense, however having Pau run the offense and play so many minutes, wasn't the best thing for him or the Lakers, as he doesn't seem to have the stamina for it. Well by the time Phil and the coaching staff recognized the problem, Pau's efficiency was waning; Bynum wasn't back; Kobe hurt another finger, along with the two that were already damaged, so his shooting stroke was ugly which made his shooting inefficient and ineffective; Shannon's quick start couldn't be sustained; Ron was having offensive problems; LO's hot play wasn't as consistent as it was during the 1st 20 games; the defense was atrocious; etc... And let's give the other elites teams their props, they have built their teams to meet the challenge that the Lakers present in preventing their teams from winning the championship.

I'll sum it up by saying this. First, health is an absolute necessity and we didn't start off with a completely healthy squad and the health of certain members of the squad has been up and down since the beginning of the season. Second, on any team, everybody has to know their role and accept their role in order for the team to be successful. When their roles are not clearly defined or willingly accepted you get dysfunction and the team doesn't work as a cohesive unit. The Lakers haven't really been a cohesive unit for long stretches this year for a variety of reasons, but I tell you I see signs that they are coming together slowly but surely because everybody is falling back into their roles.

If Phil is smart and he is, he hasn't shown his hand just yet and the Lakers haven't played their best ball just yet, but it's coming.

Fan of the Mamba, I agree that injuries have hurt the Lakers at times this year but in this most recent stretch of games, health hasn't been a factor. Kobe has looked fine, Bynum has looked fine (other than that one game he missed with the bone bruise) yet they're still losing the games against good teams.

That's why I am saying the focus should be on more than just health. They have to stay healthy AND make adjustments and corrections if they want to win.

Now Bay,

Did you really forget the last couple of months of the 2009-2010 season, how up and down the Lakers played?

Many thought that they wouldn't make it out of the Thunder series. Did you forget.

I remember post after post on this blog about how vulnerable the Lakers looked going into the playoff. Again, I guess you expect something different from them. They weren't dominant during the regular season last year, they won't be this year.

Again, I guess I can give them the benefit of the doubt, when they say they know what's at stake and they'll be ready when it's winning time because 85-90% of the time it's been true.

Fan of the Mamba,

They did look vulnerable at times in the playoffs, but what team in recent history hasn't looked vulnerable at times?

As I brought up before, they had a good regular season record against the teams they faced in the playoffs last year. They may have been up and down against some of the other teams like Denver, Cleveland, and Dallas, but they didn't have to face them.

If we could look into a crystal ball right now and see the Lakers don't have to face the Spurs in the playoffs, then these losses to the Spurs wouldn't be a concern.

Bay,

I hear you brother. Let's see if we can redeem ourselves over the next 6 weeks or so.

Enjoyed the convo!

We need some youth along with the vets. I was shocked that I kept hearing the Spurs game is up tempo. Since when Have the spurs run an up tempo like the suns. They're old are''nt they? How has Papa, changed his style of play? PJ just runs the same boring offense. We actually look like crap on fast breaks. My sons 10 year old team runs better ones. What happend to our Bench mob that pushed the pace of the game. We need that back. Right now this bench is not getting it done. Here is what I think we need: A star player in the Wings of Kobe. Bynum is not cutting it. He does not have that agressive attitude. We're in trouble for years to come if we dont get one. Youthful guard like CP3, Power Forward with some weight and an Outside Shooter. Blake Griffin would have been perfect for this Laker team. I feel he is stealing the thunder in LA right now. Any thoughts?

CrzyFan