Lakers Now

Round-the-Clock Purple and Gold

« Previous Post | Lakers Now Home | Next Post »

Caught in the Web: Reactions to Lakers' 112-57 victory over Cleveland Cavaliers

 

Game stories

--The Times' Mike Bresnahan documents the historical night the Lakers put on in their 112-57 victory Tuesday over the Cleveland Cavaliers.

--The Plain Dealer's Mary Schmitt Boyer details everything that has caused the Cavaliers to hit rock bottom.

--The Orange County Register's Kevin Ding details the Lakers' dominance over the Cavaliers.

--The Riverside Press Enterprise's David Lassen credits the Lakers' defense.

--The Daily Breeze's Elliott Teaford observes at times it looked like the Lakers were simply toying with the Cavaliers.

Notebooks

--The Times' Bresnahan details Andrew Bynum's impressive play.

--The Riverside Press Enterprise's Lassen reports Lakers forward Joe Smith doesn't bother checking into hotels with an alias.

--The Daily Breeze's Teaford details Matt Barnes' injury.

Sidebars

--The Times' Broderick Turner highlights Byron Scott's contention that the Lakers remain the "team to beat."

--The Orange County Register's Earl Bloom shares his NBA All-Star picks.

--The Orange County Register's Janis Carr looks at the Lakers' best all-time performances.

--Sports Illustrated's Brit Robson ranks the Lakers at No. 4.

--Yahoo! Sports' Marc Spears reports Scott has a three-year contract with the Cavaliers without an out clause.

--The Plain Dealer's Branson Wright talks to John Lucas about this Cavaliers team compared to the team before the James' era.

Columns

--The Times' T.J. Simers explains how Lamar Odom's marriage to Khloe Kardashian has made him mature.

--The Times' Mark Heisler notices LeBron James' game flourishes when he's angry.

--The Riverside Press Enterprise's Gregg Patton looks at how the Cavaliers have fared without LeBron. The answer: They're not really good.

Blogs

--Sports Illustrated's Kevin Frazier talks to Bryant on The Dan Patrick Show about the state of the Lakers, his knee and Carmelo Anthony's future.

--ESPN Los Angeles' Brian Kamenetzky breaks down the Lakers' victory.

--The New York Times' Rob Mahoney argues in the Off the Dribble blog that Kobe Bryant's late-game clutchness is overstated.

--Ball Don't Lie's Kelly Dwyer dissects the Lakers' victory.

--ESPN Los Angeles' Dave McMenamin lists 10 things to take away from the Lakers' victory.

--Lakers.com's Mike Trudell details the game through a running diary.

--Silver Screen and Roll's DexterFishmore argues tongue in cheek that Cleveland doesn't have a basketball team anymore.

--Forum Blue and Gold's Darius Soriano never saw a beating like he did in the Lakers-Cavs game.

--Lakers Nation's Josh Surdin credits the Lakers for returning to the basics.

Tweet of the Day: Crazy. "Karma is a ..... Gets you every time. Its not good to wish bad on anybody. God sees everything!" --- KingJames (Miami Heat forward LeBron James).

Reader Comment of the Day: "Forget about waiting until Drew regains his pre-injury form, I submit that what we are seeing right now is a Bigger, Badder, and Better Beast. Offensively, Drew has never been more under control and is showing a low post power presence that the Lakers have not seen since Shaq. Defensively, Drew is patrolling the paint and protecting the rim a passion and athleticism that has even rubbed off on Pau Gasol, who played some of his best defense this year last night. ....

"While he has to prove he can remain healthy for the rest of the regular season and playoffs, there is little doubt now among the Lakers media and fans that Andrew Bynum is the key to the Lakers three-peating as NBA champions. He is the difference maker, the player who elevates the Lakers above other elite teams in the league, the player for whom no team has the answer. And he is undoubtedly the catalyst that suddenly turned everything around for the Lakers.

The way Drew is playing right now not only restores the Lakers hopes for a three-peat this year but also brightens the Lakers long term future and gives the team genuine reason to believe that their great success will extend beyond the Kobe Bryant years. No more Superstar Interruptus. What we are watching may well be the true emergence of the Next Great Lakers Center. --- Laker Tom

--Mark Medina

Twitter.com/latmedina

E-mail the Lakers blog at mgmedin@gmail.com

 
Comments () | Archives (60)

The comments to this entry are closed.

"Alas, regardless of their DOOM, the little victims play!." - Thomas Gray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6__o39_iGxM

This was written:

Are you serious...Are you SERIOUS!!!

With all that Bynum has done...which is way more that you expected from what you have posted about him when he returns...you fall back on Theo and the Lakers had a better record?????

Is your message really saying that we are a better team with Theo than with AB...

my response: Can you actually read or do you have a 3rd grader do it for you?

my original comments were: The Lakers are winning because they have
committed to playing defense. [ paraphrase ]

This comment was made with supporting arguments by Phil Jackson,
Chuck Pearson, Andrew Bynum, Lamar Odom & Kobe Bryant.

Is there something else you want to say?

Conrats Laker Tom on the RCOTD...

I was posted on the Renegade Chat the other day...That every time I see Bynum doing something incredible...I want to give Laker Tom a 'high five'...lol

But I feel the electricity like many Laker Fans...

The youngster has made us 'whole' again...

hobbitmage | January 12, 2011 at 01:11 PM

In simple plain words...are you giving Andrew any credit about our teams recent play...our current 5 game winning steak...or since AB has come back...

Please make it clear once and for all...post it like a 3rd grader so all us ignorant people can understand it...

What do you really feel about Andrew Bynumite Bynum...

Seriously, I felt bad for B. Scott. That was the worst B-Ball I've seen by a NBA team in a while.

Didn't his Hornets suffer a pretty bad playoff beat-down v. the Nuggets a couple of years ago?

Lewsters,

If I understand Hobbit correctly, he was simply stating that the improved defense of late can be attributed to several factors (Chuck Person changing the defense, team wide commitment to defense, Kobe finally practicing with the team, Gasol looking refreshed and hustling, AS WELL as Bynum's return, and I tend to agree. He was responding to those who were suggesting that the defense has improved for ONE reason and one reason only - the return of Bynum. Bynum no doubt helps the defense, but other factors have also contributed to the improved play of the team. His example that the Lakers were 14-1 with Theo does not mean he thinks Theo is better than Bynum. That would be absurd. He's simply stating that the Lakers were winning the first month of the season BEFORE Bynum's return and disputing the argument that Bynum is the sole reason for the current winning streak. If you were not so quick to attack Hobbit's opinions, I think you would see that he is a die hard Laker fan, just like most others on this blog.

@MM... Many thanks for the Friedman. I’m sure my love for Drew played a big part in your selecting my post over many other equally worthy posts but the selection is truly appreciated.
..................................
@LEWSTERS... “Every time I see Bynum doing something incredible...I want to give Laker Tom a 'high five'...lol” I have to say I feel the same way and will give you and 888 some virtual high fives while I’m at the Warriors game tonight in those $150 seats my boss gave me.
.................................
TOM

LAKER TRUTH | January 12, 2011 at 01:18 PM

--------

So of course he give sBynum no credit...Is that a fair assumption...
And I'm not saying he is not a Laker Fan...but just a fan that doesn't like Bynum...

Laker Tom - have a great time tonight at the game...way to represent...

And yes you feel those cosmic high fives coming here from Vegas...

1st.

Laker Truth, thanks. Yes to everything you said.

2nd.

Lewsters,

I'll try to write clearly [ 3rd grade level ]. Do you promise to go get your
wife/mother to help you read things?

For months I have said that defense wins championships.
I then quoted articles from the OCregister & the LA times which say
the following:

The Lakers changed their defense.
The Lakers are focused on playing defense.
Bynum feels involved now that he's focused on playing defense.

For the 2nd graders who may be reading:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-lakers-cavaliers-20110112,0,3238857.story

snippet:
"This is what hard work does," Bryant said. "We've really been focused on the defensive end and we've been getting better game by game."


1. The primary reason for the Lakers success has been a re-commitment to
defense as said by both Lakers' coaches & players.

2. The secondary reason for the Lakers success has been Bynum playing in
the new defensive scheme which has minimized his flaws [ he's slow ] &
maximized his virtues [ he's tall & big ] & allowed Gasoft to go back to the
4.

3. I'm happy to have him back.

4. I'm glad he's committed to defense instead of talking about being an all-star.

MM - I think the Tweet of the Day should be my response back to the princess.


(If that doesn't get the anti-justa faction going, I don't know what will.)


:)


Laker Tom FTW!!! SO happy to see the Beast emerging - as you predicted!

@JAMF - Hey I thought Laker Tom had a pretty insightful comment, hah don't you think?

LEW

You are obviously spot on. hobbitmage has an agenda and the members of like-minded Half-Empty Club will come running to his defense. His posts were all about Bynum and had nothing to do with pointing out that he's just a small part of the overall defensive tweaks made by the Lakers coaching staff. The tweaks were simply the fuel he used to justify his anti-Bynum position.

RE-POST

my response: so ... maybe you should go back and look at the box scores
for the last two years. I can continually point to games where his length
was *NOT* a deterrent & his talent was not an issue because he was
engaged in playing defense.

Posted by: hobbitmage | January 12, 2011 at 12:36 PM
====

Box scores? BOX SCORES?! I didn't know that BOX SCORES gave us statistics on altered shots or the number of times players stayed out of the paint because there was a talented 7 footer with a 7'6" wing span waiting for them. I'm sure that some of Bynum's best defensive games were when he didn't block any shots at all, similar to when a cornerback like Darrelle Rivas gets no interceptions. Why? Because players stay out of the paint when Bynum is there just like the QB doesn't throw to the wide receiver who Rivas is covering. What happened to MVP candidate Amar'e Stoudemire the other night? He was 1-10 because of Bynum's length and then Bynum turned him into a jump shooter.Yeah, I'm sure that 37 year old Theo Ratliff would have eaten Stoudemire for lunch like that. BOX SCORES!!

Let's be honest here, hobbit. You can't stand Andrew Bynum and now you are making up ISH to support your wild theories and justify your blatant dislike for him. Anybody who follows the NBA .... from fans to announcers to coaches not only marvel at Bynum's size .... but they also acknowledge his growth as a player in this league and his enormous impact on the game.

"His size is absolutely a factor," [Doc] Rivers told the Boston Globe. "I go back to that game where we played them early in the year and we didn't play well. We got to the basket a lot, but we missed all the layups. Live, I was frustrated because I thought we were missing layups and we were pressing."

"But then when you watch the video, he makes you change your shot. We had three or four of them where we were right there and we double-clutched for no reason -- other than the fact to the left of your eye he was coming. And that's what size does. Size makes you miss layups. He's done that and he also gives you a low-post scorer with Gasol. And that's made them pretty darn good."

How about giving some credit where credit is due. BOX SCORES?!

MM - yes indeed he did! I already congratulated him.

Not sure why you're singling me out on that?


(LakerTom - forgot to add - have a GREAT time at the game tonight! Hope to see you on the telly!)

2. The secondary reason for the Lakers success has been Bynum playing in
the new defensive scheme which has minimized his flaws [ he's slow ] &
maximized his virtues [ he's tall & big ] & allowed Gasoft to go back to the
4.

3. I'm happy to have him back.

4. I'm glad he's committed to defense instead of talking about being an all-star.

Posted by: hobbitmage | January 12, 2011 at 01:34 PM

-----------

hobbit - thanks for the clarification...but if this is the best you can come up with about Bynum...i still have to say you are not a fan of him...same with Gasol...for anyone that insults him by calling him Gasoft is not a fan of him...

I guess you have such high standards, that our team has to win every regular season game and go undefeated in the playoffs before you can cut them some slack...

Gasoft? i take personal insult...we would not have our current success without him since he came to the team...

And about Andrew ...I know it was hard for you to say 2, 3, and 4...but credit is where credit belongs...I don't need to surf box scores, or break down details with a magnifying glass to see AB makes us a whole and dominant team...

If I miss understood you post...I apologize...but you have a long ways to go before you can convince me that you like the kid...

One day, both Pau and AB will not be playing for the Lakers anymore...I wonder how you will feel about the Lakers then...

@JAMF - Oh just b/c you said you thought your LeBron comment should've made it

KobeMVP888,

you wrote: How about giving some credit where credit is due. BOX SCORES?!

my response: Box scores. Yes, those things that actually have the scores in
them. You know. That stat that determines whether the game goes in the
Win column or the Loss column. yes. box scores.

re: giving credit where credit is due. I did that. I gave credit to Chuck Pearson.
I gave credit to the Lakers team. I gave credit to an individual Laker player.
I did *NOT* give "ALL" of the credit to a Laker player which is what you and
a number of other people did.

Sorry. I forgot 3rd grade. Ok. I gave credit to Bynum for committing to play
defense. [ this equals giving credit to an individual Laker player, but I
understand that you may not have gathered that. ]

re: making things up. hmm ... I guess I'm making things up when I quote
the LA times.

[ Mark Medina, please tell Mike Bresnahan that he is a fraud. that he doesn't
exist. that he is a figment of my imagination as well as Kobe, Phil Jackson
& the rest of the Lakers organization. KobeMVP888 doesn't actually think
he exists. ]

I guess I make things up when I quote Phil Jackson & Kobe Bryant.

Ok back to reality. There is no basketball organization named the Los
Angeles Lakers. Kobe Bryant does not exist. Red Auerbach is the most
winning coach in the NBA. Andrew Bynum is the greatest center the NBA
has ever seen. Unfortunately, since there is no Lakers team ... he's currently
playing for the NJ Nets who have won the last 3 NBA championships.

@JAMF... Thanks for the congrats and I will send you a virtual high five on Drew’s first dunk of the night. Maybe if you submitted your profile, MM would lay off you. Just a thought. LOL
.................................................
TOM

justanothermambafan, if you want me to be larry, I'll be larry.

MM - I didn't say anything about RCOTD. I mentioned that I thought my TWEET back to the princess should have been the TWEET of the day.


She tweeted her nonsense, so I tweeted back:

Are you trying to stay relevant by being in a conversation about Kobe? HAHA You're such a loser.


MM - you really should follow me on twitter @jamambafan. You'd hear all the best stuff then. LOL!!!

LakerTom - PERFECT! I will await the virtual high 5 tonight LOL! (And as a side note, I'm sending MM my profile - no pic cuz too many crazies - this week.)


@JAMF... Great news, Justa. We’ll all be eagerly waiting. Way to go, girl. 63, now you’re up.
.....................................................
TOM

Lewsters,

1st. I'm glad you read the last post and seem to understand it.

2nd. you wrote: thanks for the clarification...but if this is the best you can come up with about Bynum...i still have to say you are not a fan of him...same with Gasol...for anyone that insults him by calling him Gasoft is not a fan of him...

my response: re: Gasol. In that case, perhaps you should have a conversation
with LakerTom. It was w/in the last two weeks were we had a conversation
about Gasol and how I was mis-remembering his comments on Pau. I
*believe* he referenced the name Gasoft. Which was really interesting because
it was unknowning use of that word which started one of our ... issues. You
may have seen us [ LakerTom, KB Blitz & myself in the movie .... "Disingenuous" ] [ note: I could be wrong, but I doubt it. ]

re: being a fan of Bynum. So ... it's ok to bit*&^ & moan about Sasha & Luke
& Mbenga, but Bynum is sacred and only positive words can be spoken about
him regardless of if he's playing like a 10 year old girl? [ Dec 2009, the month ]

my comments today were not to say I'm a fan or to say that I'm not a fan of
Bynum. I am a Lakers fan. If Bynum were not on the Lakers I would not be
interested in him. He is though. Wait a minute ... KobeMVP888 said I was
making *ISH up, so ... scratch that. There is no Lakers basketball team, but
if there were and he were a member then I would be as enthusiastic about
him as I would be about LO or Pau Gasol or D-Fish.

No, none of those players is as special to me as Kobe Bean Bryant, if he
existed. However, if those players/people did exist and were on the Lakers,
if that team did exist, then I would like them too.

That's a bit confusing though.... Did you graduate to 4th grade a few minutes
ago?

Actually, I had no problem with saying 2,3, & 4. It's called being honest &
factual. Something that I would try to do if the Lakers actually existed.
Since I wasn't clear ... The next time you talk to KobeMVP888 please thank
him for telling me that the Lakers don't really exist. All this time I've been
staring at a blank wall thinking that I was watching Lakers basketball. That
percocet really must have kicked in. Now .... where's the Vodka .....

justanothermambafan, then I will send in my profile as well.

LakerTom

Congrats on an absolute Friedman-worthy RCOTD!

Congrats on the RCOTD. That was an excellent post regarding the relevance of the one and only Andrew "The Beast" Bynum. I say brace up both of his legs - a la Forrest Gump - so we can save those knees because the team will be nothing without them! As it pertains to THIS team, Andrew is all that and then some.

I want to see the team Feed The Beast tonight against this other "small" team. Inside - Out is what it's all about tonight and let's defend against those small and penetrating guards, especially Ellis. He reminds me of D Rose whenever he penetrates the paint.

GO LAKERS & IN BUSS WE TRUST!!

FEED THE BEAST
Stay Thirsty My Friends
By Any Means Necessary

Guys - we're winning - in a convincing fashion - can't we all just stick to bball and not make personal attacks against each other?


Hope I'm not 'embarassing myself' here, but come on - let's enjoy this resurgence of good Laker ball. We ALL want this to be fun, right?


We're losing posters right and left because of the sniping. It's getting to the point where ALL the cool kids will be gone. Then who'll serve up the drinks at the parade?

justanothermambafan, you could never embarass your self.

re: being a fan of Bynum. So ... it's ok to bit*&^ & moan about Sasha & Luke
& Mbenga, but Bynum is sacred and only positive words can be spoken about
him regardless of if he's playing like a 10 year old girl? [ Dec 2009, the month ]

---------

hobbit - first please share the percocets...and i have tons of vodka...

Cmon...you can't group AB with those other players...Their roles are not or were not as important to our current championship squad...And like I've said before, no one on the team should be untouchable to criticism...including Kobe, who in my eyes has not had a spectacular year so far...but to me nothing really matters but the playoffs...(another touchy topic here)...the rest is just practice...

As far as my comprehension of your posts...let's just say you write in a very different style and your points gets buried by the tangents of your body of words...

And as far as my mother...she has passed away, which I thought people on the Blog knew...and I would appreciate it if you leave her out of your posts especially when you are trying to be clever and humorous...the wifey, it's okay to include her...she is a gamer and has a great sense of humor...

Maybe you can understand that how you feel about Kobe, (he still is my favorite Laker, yes he passed Magic after winning #5, in my list), some of us here feel the same way about Pau, AB, LO, Ron, Fish and others...we all have our favorites...but not at the expense of other players...

But I can accept that some fans will have their whipping posts and some will lay an egg when ever reading anything negative about their favorite...

In my case...the whole team is my favorite...especially the starting unit and core players of this squad which I have labeled Lakers Dynasty - The Next Generation...

And you can scour the Archives...I rarely diss a Laker player, and if I do, it's in a constructive way and never insulting or demeaning...(not saying you do)...but I'm sure you have seen it here...

Last...2nd and 3rd grade was very fun years...Oh to be happy and care free, with no responsibilities but homework and putting your plate in the sink after meals...

justanon - Hey I thought I was Larry while he was gone...lol

Lewstrs, huh? Well ok then.

hobbit - I forgot to add...I skipped 4th grade due to academic placement tests...My parents were very proud, but I was devastated, for I had a hottie girlfriend who was still in the 4th grade...and the 5th graders still considered me a 4th grader...oh the pressures and drama of growing up...

justanothermambafan, if you want me to be larry, I'll be larry.

Posted by: justanon | January 12, 2011 at 01:55 PM

----------

justanon - Hey I thought I was Larry while he was gone...lol
Posted by: LEWSTRS | January 12, 2011 at 02:40 PM

lew - thanks for having my back. That guy is creeping me out.

KobeMVP888,

you wrote: How about giving some credit where credit is due. BOX SCORES?!

my response: Box scores. Yes, those things that actually have the scores in
them. You know. That stat that determines whether the game goes in the
Win column or the Loss column. yes. box scores.

re: giving credit where credit is due. I did that. I gave credit to Chuck Pearson.
I gave credit to the Lakers team. I gave credit to an individual Laker player.
I did *NOT* give "ALL" of the credit to a Laker player which is what you and
a number of other people did.
=====

Is that the best you can do? Give credit to Chuck Person and distort what I and others have written? No sir, we didn't give ALL the credit to Andrew Bynum; we acknowledged the ENORMOUS difference that he makes on the floor .. and Lakers fans are not the only ones to make this observation which is plain for even the most amateur eye to see. We all understand that the brilliant Phil Jackson listened to suggestions that Chuck Person made to him regarding a tweak in the defensive scheme to funnel the guards and wing players to the base line to take advantage of Andrew Bynum's size. Phil even said as much. I am ALWAYS a proponent of the concept of TEAM. As 63 Footer recently pointed out, the Lakers are at the pinnacle of the NBA and there is NO room for error, so for me or any other fan to give ALL of the credit to Andrew Bynum or anyone else would be foolhardy and is something I wouldn't do. Is he a big difference maker? Of course. The amateur naked eye can see that. But for you to talk about minimizing Bynum's value by looking at BOX SCORES (i.e., blocked shots), or to suggest that because of the new defensive system the Lakers can simply plug in a 37 year old shot blocker who is serviceable at best at this point in his career, is laughable.

JAMF - since I've been away for a bit I have to ask...Renegade Chat? unclechris805@hotmail.com.

As to the rest...IF AB17 stays healthy....IF they keep their defensive focus...IF Lamar isn't abducted by alians... ... ... ... Did I have a point?

Never Mind. Bills are paid, Mama is happy, the kids are fed...It's Game Day and that's enough.

JR

LMAO - Woody Paige "Despicable Me is LeBron James"

hahaha that's a new one...

Utz,

This is for you since you’re moving on up. Just remember...

Fish don't fry in the kitchen;
Beans don't burn on the grill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9y4iXAso4I&feature=related

Janet Dubois aka Willona on Good Times wrote and sung this one.

Lewsters,

you wrote: Cmon...you can't group AB with those other players...Their roles are not or were not as important to our current championship squad...And like I've said before, no one on the team should be untouchable to criticism...including Kobe, who in my eyes has not had a spectacular year so far...but to me nothing really matters but the playoffs...(another touchy topic here)...the rest is just practice...

As far as my comprehension of your posts...let's just say you write in a very different style and your points gets buried by the tangents of your body of words...

And as far as my mother...she has passed away, which I thought people on the Blog knew...and I would appreciate it if you leave her out of your posts especially when you are trying to be clever and humorous...the wifey, it's okay to include her...she is a gamer and has a great sense of humor...

my response:

re: AB vs. the other players. Actually I can and maybe that's part of the
problem. Basketball is a *team* sport and as such your bench is just as
important as your starters. The past 3 years should have shown you this.
1 injury to a critical player is all it takes for things to come crashing down.

I didn't know that as a Laker fan it was ok to trash the bench, but not trash
Bynum. So ... where's this list of whom it's ok to bash and whom it's not ok
to bash? Didn't we need dead-eye Sasha during game 7 of last year?

re: Kobe. No he hasn't had a great year.

re: comprehension of my posts. hmmm .... Some people seem to get it and
some don't. Perhaps, if you weren't so quick to mock me and my posts and
actually asked questions to understand my posts .... we wouldn't have these
types of conversations? What happened to trying to understand people
instead of simply mocking them because they don't drink your kool-aid?
Are you in the NBA HOF such that I should immediately agree with everything
you say? BTW, anytime I quote Kobe, Phil or Bynum ... perhaps you should
re-read what I wrote instead of immediately disagreeing with it? Just a
thought.

re: your mother passing. Nope. I had no idea. My condolences. I probably
missed it due to hard issues in my own life. Rather than bringing in your
mother or your wife, why don't we be civil to each other? It's mo bettah that
way.

re: comparing Kobe to other blogger favorites. I have *never* denied when
Kobe has done something wrong. I have offset what he's done wrong with
the *TREMENDOUS* amount that he's done right. You don't have that ability
with Bynum. All you have is hyperbole. I'd like you to be right. I want you to
be right. Sadly, the facts don't agree with you. For instance, Bynum has
averaged a double-double for 1 year in his career. I hope he does it for the rest
of his career, but as of now he hasn't.

re: skipping grades. I was not allowed to skip grades. I had started too young
as it was & they didn't want me to be 2-3 younger than my peers. I wish they
had. Taking Calculus early would have changed my life. And isn't that a
strange comment on a basketball blog ....

Never Mind. Bills are paid, Mama is happy, the kids are fed...It's Game Day and that's enough.

JR

Posted by: Jolly Rancher | January 12, 2011 at 03:01 PM

----------

Now here is a guy who has the correct outlook...
Who shot JR...NOBODY...
He is alive and kicking and should get a Friedman for this post...

KobeMVP888,

you wrote: No sir, we didn't give ALL the credit to Andrew Bynum; we acknowledged the ENORMOUS difference that he makes on the floor

my response: actually you did. Maybe you'd like to respost something you
wrote and show where you gave credit to someone besides Bynum for
the Lakers winning.

I'd love to be wrong, but I doubt that I am.

@LakerTom - congrats on RCOTD.


@Sean - Stephen A Smith tweeted last night that his conversation with Sheed was from 2-3 months ago. Thus he said they have no bearing today. I still believe he will comeback. You were absolutely right in your comments yesterday :-)


@63 Footer - Gotta love the Silver Bullet Band. Seeger is one of my favorites. Definitely underrated.


@frmkt - That Patti put a smile on my face. I'm loving the Lakers new attitude

hobbit - I have always been civil to you and I didn't think I was mocking you...

Again...where did you see that I said it's OK to criticize the bench but not the starters...How can you come to this conclusion...

Cmon...you can't group AB with those other players...Their roles are not or were not as important to our current championship squad...And like I've said before, no one on the team should be untouchable to criticism...including Kobe, who in my eyes has not had a spectacular year so far...but to me nothing really matters but the playoffs...(another touchy topic here)...the rest is just practice...

If anything, I agreed that there should be no selective criticizing...

And as much as you love the word hyperbole...I have to disagree with you that it's all Andrew Bynum merits...

And here you go again with the stats...'AB double double for one year'...
Why don't we look at just the games since he has come back...
Why don't we consider the state of the team while and AB was gone, and the state of the team now...

Let's not go back and forth...you don't care for the kid...and that's fine with me...

To each his own...let's leave it at that...no stats, no archives...just the truth...

You love Kobe...
justa loves Ron Ron...(just an example...justa loves em all)
Ricky loves Pau...
Laker Tom loves Andrew...
I love the whole team, coach, GM and owner...period...

Yeah, they beat the Cavs, but only because Grandma wasn't available for B. Scott to put in against Fish!!

OK, that was completely uncalled for, but how could I resist after yesterday's D. Fish bashfest from an unnamed poster that used to be DFish.

I thought last nights game centered around the 2 Ds. Defense and D. Fish!!

JR

Posted by: Jolly Rancher

Wake me up when the Lakers beat a quality team. And the amazing Fisher was five feet in front of the defender for an uncontested layup and the little chump gave it up to Gasol who missed the layup. Luckily Cleveland is one of the worst teams.

Jolly,
Fisher sucks almost every night...so hitting a couple of shots and making steals against a pathetic Cavs team is nothing to get excited about.

KobeMVP888,

you wrote: The amateur naked eye can see that. But for you to talk about minimizing Bynum's value by looking at BOX SCORES (i.e., blocked shots), or to suggest that because of the new defensive system the Lakers can simply plug in a 37 year old shot blocker who is serviceable at best at this point in his career, is laughable.

my response: I repeat. Actually you're wrong. Your perceptions off.

Allow me to clarify. Stats never tell the whole story, but without stats the
story can't be told.

When your 7-ft 275 lb center gets a total of 4 rebounds in 25 minutes of play
..... the 4 rebounds *DOES* tell the story of him not working hard/trying hard/
playing well. [ ref dec 2009 vs. bulls ]

[ FYI, he's playing better now. ]

Since the score is kept in the box score, you *MUST* pay attention to the
box score. It's called keeping a record. Something that is necessary when
determining who gets to go to the playoffs and who gets to watch it at home.

Why is it that you're happy to talk about the box score when the Lakers win
& Bynum scores 20 pts against a team that doesn't play defense like
PHX, but when he has a sucky game ... all of a sudden the box score doesn't
count?

you also wrote: so for me or any other fan to give ALL of the credit to Andrew Bynum or anyone else would be foolhardy and is something I wouldn't do.

my response: why don't you repost something from today where you gave
someone else credit for the Lakers winning? Go Ahead. I'd love to tell you
that I was wrong or that I mis-understood. have at it!

you also wrote: to suggest that because of the new defensive system the Lakers can simply plug in a 37 year old shot blocker who is serviceable at best at this point in his career, is laughable.

my response: That is *EXACTLY* why I quoted players and coaches.
i.e. Are the players saying: Bynum is the reason we're winning or are the
players saying: We're concentrating on defense.
Unfortunately, you were too busy shouting "Wooo! I was right! " to actually
read what the Lakers coaches & players were saying. I tried to help you
out by printing the quotes, but in your euphoria ... you missed it.


We lost to a number of mediocre teams because we weren't playing good
defense and we couldn't make shots.

Did you ever bother to read the basketball-reference.com article on the
importance of defense & winning championships? If you didn't I suggest
that you do. It coincides with what the greatest professional basketball minds
have said: Defense wins championships.

Win #14 in a row at clippers tonight then 3 more to beat Lakers record
I am the King

Posted by: King James Version | January 12, 2011 at 03:23 PM

-----------------------

14 + 3 = 17...

LOL you are confused...you need to win 17 Championship Titles to beat the Laker's record...not 17 regular season games...you need to win 34 of those to beat the Laker record...

No wonder King James teams never win the big one...look at his fans...LMAO

What is he a King of again...oh yes, King of futility...

@Laker Tom....

Congrats on the RCOTD.....but, then you could win it just about any day you post!

Enjoy the game tonight, sir!

They have faults and sometimes give bad efforts.
But when they keep focus they are unstoppable.

It's just great when they play as a team. Using the Triangle that gives harmony to the group.

And thumbs up to Andrew!!!
More than the stats he makes, his aura, confidence and the understanding of team play.

For me he should be in the All-Star as a starter!!! No doubt!!!

But let's keep calm!!! And hope the team can keep the pace. One step at a time!

---> Let's enjoy this team while we can!!!

KobeMVP888,

you wrote: to suggest that because of the new defensive system the Lakers can simply plug in a 37 year old shot blocker who is serviceable at best at this point in his career, is laughable.

my response: I'd like to clarify this. You mis-understood what I wrote.
Oddly enough lakertruth didn't, but that's another story.

I said that the lakers commitment to playing defense is first and foremost what
is leading to winning. I suggested that a commitment to playing defense with
a serviceable defensive C would go much further towards winning a
championship than having Bynum focused first/primarily on his offense.
I backed up that suggestion by showing the Lakers were winning at the
beginning of the year when the old serviceable defensive minded C was
getting playing time and the Lakers were 14-1.

If you like you can go back and check the archives for the multitude of
conversations with LakerTom where he preaches about the Triangle Offense
& I respond with "Defense wins Championships."

Lewsters,

you wrote:
And here you go again with the stats...'AB double double for one year'...
Why don't we look at just the games since he has come back...
Why don't we consider the state of the team while and AB was gone, and the state of the team now...

my response: That's just it. You can't make the simple comparison. If
the Lakers had not changed the defensive scheme then putting the
winning on AB makes sense and I would have agreed to it.

Unfortunately, history doesn't actually agree with you and neither do the
coaches or the players of the Lakers.

So when coaches: Jackson & Pearson talk about the defensive changes they
need to make and have made, why don't you believe/agree with them?

So when the players: Kobe, LO & Bynum, talk about the defensive intensity
that they're bringing, why don't you believe/agree with them?

KobeMVP888,

you wrote: No sir, we didn't give ALL the credit to Andrew Bynum; we acknowledged the ENORMOUS difference that he makes on the floor

my response: actually you did. Maybe you'd like to respost something you
wrote and show where you gave credit to someone besides Bynum for
the Lakers winning.

I'd love to be wrong, but I doubt that I am.

Posted by: hobbitmage | January 12, 2011 at 03:12 PM
=====

I have said and remain convinced that without Andrew Bynum as their starting center, even playing at 50-60%, the Lakers would not have won back-to-back championships. This is a proposition that many NBA experts agree with and that you and members of the Lakers Nation Half-Empty Club in this and other forums disagree with. That is entirely different than giving Andrew Bynum 100% of the credit for the Lakers winning basketball games. In fact, that's an absurdity at best.

I have a better idea. Why don't don't you show me in a box score or even direct me to a website that shows me statistics on altered shots or players avoiding the lane all together because Andrew Bynum is there. Or how about Theo Ratliff's altered shot numbers since, say, 2005. You are the one who wants to support your wild hypothesis that the Lakers are not any better off with Bynum than they are with Theo Ratliff, so rather than me re-posting one of my old posts, how about you putting your money where your mouth is?

Whatever hobbit...I don't know if it's the percocets, but you are one stubborn dude...

Here you go...

AB GETS NO CREDIT...CHUCK PEARSONS DOES FOR HIS SUGGESTION FOR AN ADJUSTMENT TO THE LAKERS LATE STELLAR PLAY!!!

Wooo Hooo...there you go...it's on record I agreed with you...

AB is useless and anyone at the 5 would have given us the same results...

sigh...let's move on please...

LEWSTRS,

I think what King James was referring to was the NBA record of 16 consecutive road wins set by the 71/72 Lakers team that was part of the lakers 33 game streak.

If the Heat win 3 more on the road they break that record.

KobeMVP888,

today you wrote: I have said and remain convinced that without Andrew Bynum as their starting center, even playing at 50-60%, the Lakers would not have won back-to-back championships. This is a proposition that many NBA experts agree with and that you and members of the Lakers Nation Half-Empty Club in this and other forums disagree with. That is entirely different than giving Andrew Bynum 100% of the credit for the Lakers winning basketball games. In fact, that's an absurdity at best.

today you also wrote: OMG! Are you serious? ARE YOU SERIOUS!

today lewsters wrote: Well no one can deny how much better our defense is since Bynum came back...Now AB is almost back to 100%, and we have seen glimpses of the domination with our new D...now we are on a 5 game winning streak...halfway there on my double digit winning streak..

today oldhippy wrote: Any doubts? It is a bygone conclusion that Bynum's length alone is a major deterrent and couple that with true talent and voila!! As good as Theo was and can be defensively at this stage in his career but he sure does not possess Bynum's attributes, period!!

Posted by: OldHippy | January 12, 2011 at 11:47 AM

Now please show me where OldHippy gives any credit to the new defensive
scheme that Pearson put in place?

Please look at lewsters quote and tell me where he's giving *ANY* credit to
the Pearson for coming up with the defensive change and what that change
actually means?

Please explain to me where you said: Last night the Lakers showed a team
commitment to defense.

I can see your comments today which detail the greatness of Bynum. I haven't
seen one word of praise for the energy & intensity of the Lakers nor have
I seen one word of praise for the Lakers funneling the guards to the baseline
and allowing Bynum to stay close to the basket.

hobbitmage

hobbit wrote: "Allow me to clarify. Stats never tell the whole story, but without stats the
story can't be told.

When your 7-ft 275 lb center gets a total of 4 rebounds in 25 minutes of play
..... the 4 rebounds *DOES* tell the story of him not working hard/trying hard/playing well."
====

Really? So hypothetically, if Andrew plays 25 minutes and grabs only 7 rebounds and Lamar plays 28 minutes and grabs 18 rebounds and Gasol plays 41 minutes and grabs 14 rebounds, does that tell the story of Bynum not working hard, trying hard or playing well?

And I disagree with your comment that "without stats the story can't be told." This isn't baseball where stats are a much greater measuring stick than either basketball or football. They are helpful at most, but can be extremely misleading. The above hypothetical were actual rebounding statistics from the Knicks game the other night. Not only did Bynum work his tail off in that came, he was a huge difference maker because he dominated their MVP candidate. His fundamentals were sound, which included boxing out which helped allow gasol and Odom to glass when they were on the floor with Bynum.

My example of altered shots and dissuading players from entering the lane are just a few examples. Derek Fisher is probably among the league leaders in selling illegal screens, but there's no statistic for that. There's no statistic for successful box outs either. In Luke's case, I bet he's among the league leaders every year in "hockey" assists per minute. Did you know that it took the ABA to come up with statistics like steals, blocked shots and offensive rebounds? If they were so important, why didn't the NBA record these stats long before a newbie league came along to try to trump the NBA with a few gimmicks?
.......

hobbit wrote: "you wrote: to suggest that because of the new defensive system the Lakers can simply plug in a 37 year old shot blocker who is serviceable at best at this point in his career, is laughable.

my response: I'd like to clarify this. You mis-understood what I wrote.
Oddly enough lakertruth didn't, but that's another story."
=====

Oddly? That's about as predictable as the sun rising in the East.

and while we're on it ...

How about a round of applause for Artest who scored 15 pts?

Oh crap. There's that box score again.

How about a round of applause for Artest who scored 15 pts?

Oh crap. There's that box score again.

Posted by: hobbitmage
================

I'll give some kudos to Ron. I was critical of his play a couple of weeks ago when he was stinking up the court and am glad to see him getting back to making a difference. I hope he keeps it up.

To all you Trolls:

Drew is the Greatest Center of All-Time,

Do Not Trade the Beast,


BandWagon!!!

Really? So hypothetically, if Andrew plays 25 minutes and grabs only 7 rebounds and Lamar plays 28 minutes and grabs 18 rebounds and Gasol plays 41 minutes and grabs 14 rebounds, does that tell the story of Bynum not working hard, trying hard or playing well?

---------

Excellent point...of course AB was not working hard...stats don't lie...lol

Hi,
i have seen a very informative blog. i really like this great post . i 'll keep this post in mind. This blog information is "How about a round of applause for Artest who scored 15 pts? " .

Thank you,


Connect

Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

All Things Lakers »

Your database for all things purple and gold.

Find a Laker

Search a name

Select a season

Choose one of our lists



Categories


Archives
 

About the Bloggers


Bleacher Report | Lakers

Reader contributions from Times partner Bleacher Report

More Lakers on Bleacher Report »



Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists:


In Case You Missed It...