Lakers Now

Round-the-Clock Purple and Gold

« Previous Post | Lakers Now Home | Next Post »

Ratliff to have knee surgery

Lakers reserve center Theo Ratliff will undergo arthroscopic surgery Tuesday morning on his left knee, a Lakers spokesman said Monday.

Ratliff has been bothered by the knee since the season began. A timetable for his return will not be announced until after the procedure.

Ratliff was averaging 0.3 points and 1.6 rebounds in 8.4 minutes a game.

Forward Lamar Odom had an MRI exam Monday morning on his sore right foot but was expected to be available Tuesday against Milwaukee after results of the exam were negative. Odom, diagnosed with a bone bruise in the foot, played 42 minutes Sunday against Phoenix and complained of a burning sensation in the top of the foot.

--Mike Bresnahan

 
Comments () | Archives (89)

The comments to this entry are closed.

so it goes Gasol LO and then Caracter as the one sub ?

we are looking a bit thin no?

London Laker:
I agree that we are way too thin up front. There's got to be a big out there we can sign for the vet minimum.

Dampier is still available. He would be the ideal backup for the vet. minimum.

Maybe we could bring back Russell Hicks?

Man I really don't want Damp, but he's probably the best option at this point....arggh!

@Laker J – congrats on your RCOTD


@63 Footer – nice jam session with MMW and of course the master Sir Duke.


@mclyne – Fool in the Rain is one of my favs by Zep. Lebron is probably thinking about all the fans he lost and singing that line now…

You swore that you never would leave me baby,
Whatever happened to you?

Agreed, Dampier actually would be a very solid pick up at this point.

@Jamie Sweet – I’m with you on Stern trying to turn the NBA into the National Boring Association. Think about some of the funny stuff we would’ve been deprived of like…

Motumbo’s finger wagging


Laimbeer raising his hands to encourage opposing fans to boo louder


Mark Jackson and teammates pulling out the broom and sweeping the court after sweeping the 76ers


Rick Barry’s classic rants


ML Carr giving the Lakers the choke signal


Van Exel going into his boxing routine after making a big shot


Reggie Miller blowing into his fingers (as if they were guns) and putting them into his holster when he got hot.

Hey, Karl Malone says he's ready to come back. Something about the scoring record being close....

(I have my sarcasm font on... but Karl may not.)

I thought I saw Karl Malone in a commercial the other day.

But it was the guy who ate him....

THE LAKERS ARE MISSING ANDREW BYNUM !!!
…………………………..
First of all, there is absolutely no doubt that the Lakers miss Andrew Bynum on defense. Anybody who thinks otherwise must not have been paying attention to the layup drill that other teams have been laying on the Lakers defense all season long. And anybody who thinks that Pau and Lamar at the 5 and 4 play better defense than Drew and Pau doesn’t really understand the impact that Drew has. His presence completely transforms the team’s defensive matchups in the front court and truly deters teams from even attacking the paint and the rim, not to mention the blocked and altered shots.
~
Having said that, nobody is saying that missing Drew is the only problem the Lakers have been having on defense. This team has clearly shown at times that it can play championship level defense without Drew in the lineup against most teams, even as recently as the Portland game where our team defense was great. If the perimeter defense is as porous when Drew returns as it is now, it may end up putting Drew in foul trouble because he will not allow easy layups or dunks like Pau and Lamar to often do. Team defense means exactly that: a perimeter defense that throttles penetration and prevents open uncontested 3-point shots is as important as having a defensive anchor to protect the rim.
~
Last night’s game was just an anomaly: the Suns had to set a franchise record for 3-point shots made in order to win by just 5 points. How anybody can twist that around to prove that the Lakers are not missing Andrew Bynum is a feat of extraordinary and amazing naivety and blind blatant bias. All you had to do was watch Steve Nash take advantage of Pau Gasol in the post to understand and contrast that with the times the Drew defended penetrating guards in the paint like Rondo and Westbrook and remember how Drew rejected their shots. No we did not lose the game because of our interior defense last night but had Drew been playing in the game I doubt we would have lost by 5 points.
…………………………..
TOM

LRob, LAKER TRUTH: I'm with you guys. Damp is the best option available out there. He did have the occasional good game with Mav's, he would bring size and experience plus is a shot blocker and defensive minded, 2 years less than Ratliff to boot. Actually I'm really surprised no one has picked him up. There were rumors of him taking his talents to South Beach, Atlanta had interest and the Rockets just passed on him after it looked like a deal with them was all but finalized.

The problem is, I just don't see the Lakers doing it. They would need to offer Damp a contract to bring him aboard and he'd be their 15th player on the roster, which is fine for now as Ratliff would hit the inactive list alongside Bynum and probably Ebanks who most likely will hit the NBDL when their season starts later this week. I would imagine the Lakers would probably keep Caracter around, especially now.

However, when Bynum gets back, it would either push Caracter to the inactive list, or create a situation where a vet would have to hit the list. It is really compounded when Ratliff is through with his rehab and ready to get back, the Lakers would have a veteran-player log-jam in which one of their vets would have to be on it despite being healthy (given the Lakers suffer no injuries between now and then).

I just don't see Mitch forking out a couple more million of Dr. Buss' money for a temporary, stop-gap solution, and something that would create a surplus of bodies.

I think that if the health issues continue being a concern with the bigs, then more likely down the line we see Sasha moved for a backup center. My guess is that this would happen either in an emergency (Pau or L.O. going down) or closer to the all-star break. I think that is more likely than bringing in a rent-a-vet as it allows the Lakers not to have to dish out more money in contracts (doubled due to being over way over the salary cap) and it avoids creating the situation above, where a healthy vet would need to hit the inactive list...


GO LAKERS!!!!!

We kept on mentioning that we need Bynum and yet he could not help, he could not play at this time. Lakers are missing Bynum. Absolutely. It is Bynum who does not answer the bell every time his name is called. In essence, what can he do at this time when Ratliff is down, LO and Gasol are over extended. Artest and Caracter have to make some miracles and help some posts jobs. Mitch should consider signing abled bodies on temporary basis like: Dampier, Dwayne Jones or Jake Voskuhl.

They are all not as good as Bynum but at least they can play now and help in D and rebounds.

Plus it looks like Phoenix is snapping up Earl Barron. What about Nesterovic? I don't think he signed with anyone.

I never discount what Dr Buss will do. I think the brain trust will think about what we need, and Dr Buss will pull the trigger if he has to. Let's give it a little while and see, though. We don't need to win every game. Nash take advantage of Pau Gasol in the post? Is anybody worried about the Suns beating us in a seven game series, even without Drew?

If we just need to wait for Drew to be healthy in time for the playoffs, frankly we'll be fine. Kobe will make the adjustments he had to, and Pau and Lamar will keep up the good fight. Barnes, Blake and Brown will keep our guards fresh, if Kobe will accept a bit more bench time.

I hope Kobe's willingness to upset a few fans (or at least a few sacramento fans) will signal a willingness to not treat every game like game seven. All we need to do is win 65, i think. Nobody in the East is sleepwalking to a home court advantage, and we can beat everybody in the west if we are healthy.

We got this. Let's take care of our long term plans.

IT IS ALL ABOUT THE LOVE

GO LAKERS!

I knew we should never have let Mbenga go for Theo. Now we have no backup.

@LakerTom - Having Drew certainly would help because the Lakers could tighten up on the perimeter and funnel guys to basket where Drew would intimidate.

However, last night loss can be attributed to a lack of attention to detail...i.e...improper rotations, lack of communication, etc. It was not a personnel issue but an execution problem.

Some expect the Lakers to be 100% focused all the time, and that's just not realistic. Most of us aren't focused like that on our job...everyday....so we should understand. Last night Phoenix executed their game plan better and last time I checked Nash, JRich, Hedo, Frye and company are professionals also.

Earlier today in MM's "in the web" posting their was a good article about Kobe calling out the NBA owners.
------------


“I think the owners need to look in the mirror,” Bryant told CBSSports.com when asked about the $750 million to $800 million reduction in player salaries being sought by the owners. “They need to make the right judgment themselves and stop trying to force us players to be the ones to make adjustments. They’ve got to look in the mirror and decide what they want to do with the sport, and we as employees will show up and do what we’ve got to do.”


“It’s about making sure we have the best deal going forward,” Bryant said. “That’s my stance and that’s not going to change. I’m not going to waver. It’s about taking care of the generation that’s coming after us. That’s what the guys before us tried to do, and that’s what I’m going to try to do. I’m not going to waver from that.”
-----------------

Way to take a stand Kobe. Good to have the premiere player speak up! And Sonny wants to talk about Kobe for not sweating a loss in November...while the Lakers are 8-2. Ummm...okay!


LakerTom: "How anybody can twist that around to prove that the Lakers are not missing Andrew Bynum is a feat of extraordinary and amazing naivety and blind blatant bias. All you had to do was watch Steve Nash take advantage of Pau Gasol in the post to understand and contrast that with the times the Drew defended penetrating guards in the paint like Rondo and Westbrook and remember how Drew rejected their shots. No we did not lose the game because of our interior defense last night but had Drew been playing in the game I doubt we would have lost by 5 points."
-
It is incredible. If ANYTHING having Drew back means that Pau/L.O. get their minutes cut back to normal levels, Pau gets back to his more effective power forward position, L.O. goes back to doing the versatile 6th man role he's excelled in for the past couple of years. Even the most biased and blindly negative person would see that. To fail to even acknowledge that most basic fact is outstanding. That is why I see it as more of a bash than a reasoned argument.

The perimeter defense was atrocious, but there is no way that a guard like J-Rich picks up 8 rebounds against Bynum. Now that L.O.'s foot is hurting, are people going to start demanding Caracter get more PT? It's crazy.

IMO The Laker problems have more to do with their sleepwalking through the past two games, going through the motions on offense as well as defense, looking for the 'switch' and never finding it - however there is no doubt that if L.O. was anchoring the second unit then the Suns backups aren't racking up 18 rebounds. So, if even for that reason and that reason alone, if anything, Bynum indirectly becomes a crucial piece the Lakers are missing. Even those blogsters that seemingly relish and enjoy showing how biased they are acknowledge that the Lakers need another big right now. There is no getting around that.

In my eyes, the Lakers are not only getting a big piece back, but one of the finest ones in the league, who is a mere 23, and finally this will allow the team to settle back into the regular rotations we haven't been able to see all season long.

THE CAVALRY IS COMING!!!!!


GO LAKERS!!!!!

@phred - well said. In the words of Teddy Riley and friends..No Diggity!

LRob,

How about the D League Centers like:

1. John Bryant 6'11" 13.4ppg 9.5 rpg
2. Brian Butch 6' 11" 17.7 ppg 11.4 rpg
3. Marcus Campbell 7'0" 10.9 ppg 7.6 rpg
4. Michael Fey 7'0" 12.8 ppg 6.4 rpg
5. Jared Reiner 6'11" 12.8 ppg 9.3 rpg
6. Sean Sonderleihter 6'11" 11 ppg 6.3 rpg
7. Greg Stiemsma 6'11" 15 ppg 10.7 rpg

I don't know these guys nor have seen them play. This is the time when we can rely on their statistics at D'League. It is better to have one big body out there who can put a shade in the Center.

oh dang.. LAKERTRUTH just unleashed his fists of fury..

just dropped his WMD.


LRob: "Earlier today in MM's "in the web" posting their was a good article about Kobe calling out the NBA owners.
. . .
Way to take a stand Kobe. Good to have the premiere player speak up! And Sonny wants to talk about Kobe for not sweating a loss in November...while the Lakers are 8-2. Ummm...okay!"
-
I saw that too. Props to Kobe. Too often leading athletes become masters of not taking a stand, of talking alot but saying little, like MJ, Tiger, etc...

He goes out on a limb and says he will speak up for the little guys. NBA owners are the ones that overpay players then want players to take less money. Here's a thought: manage your own business' better. I'm not completely against the players accepting an across-the-board contract reduction because we've all been hurting with the whole economic slide. But when Mike Conley signs a $45-mill contract, when the Knicks seemingly hemorrhage money to overpaid/under-producing players, when 2½ elite players congregate in a terrible NBA city like Miami - and Kobe has to take a $3-mill pay cut because of that, well that isn't right.

Here's a thought, restrict future spending. Modify the salary cap. Do whatever you need to do to succeed in business - but touching salaries would be something that would be a non-starter, something the players would never agree to, and probably will lead to the looming lockout next year...

GO LAKERS & IN BUSS WE TRUST!! Mitch - EOY

Nothing to worry about folks; management & ownership are on the case. Right now, the team has to remain healthy so in the process, we will have to drop a few games; that's just the way it is until the "situation" is resolved. Nothing to see, so just move on folks. This will all be taken care of.

It seems like other teams are pretty quick on getting a big man as soon as one of their big men goes down. I am not really sure what the Lakers are thinking at this point. Are they just waiting for Bynum comes back? Well, first of all, you don't want to bring him back too soon, and even if he comes back you dont want him to have too much PT right away. And right now the Lakers have basically only two overworking big men (and not too trusted rookie on their roster.) I just hope the Lakers address this thin front line issue sooner than later. As for Dampier, it has been a kind of mystery why Dampier doesn't sign with anyteam, or are teams avoiding him? Does he want more than min veteran contract? Is he waiting for signing with the title contending team?

MVP888 - just wondering why it's OK to always rip Vlad Rad a new one in your book, but Luke is a sacred cow (and I'm not just referring to foot speed)?

I mean the level of suckitude is about equal, but another team would actually take a flyer on Vlad. Clearly not happening with Luke.

Posted by: htj | November 15, 2010 at 05:02 PM
=====

Excellent question! Because Buzz Kill stunk and still stinks and the guy who was stupid to take him was none other than Michael Jordan, Mr. Talent Evaluator himself (see Kwame Brown and Adam Morrison). Buzz Kill was a chemistry killing dumb player incapable of doing anything other than hitting a few threes here and there and then he usually managed to kill that buzz anyway. He was a very stupid player on both ends of the court on teams that required players to use their brains whereas Luke, despite his physical limitations which the Luke Haters/Bashers insist on focusing on, doesn't hurt the Lakers because he has BRAINS IN HIS HEAD and calm things down at both ends of the court. Up until last season, Luke was an important player in Phil's rotation whereas the trade to Charlotte couldn't come soon enough for Mitch, Phil and any fan who watches the Lakers with intelligence. Yes, Luke Walton is probably through and obviously untradable because of his injuries, but he has been an asset to the Lakers in the post Shaq era. I didn't like the fact that the Lakers signed Radmanovic and I loved that they finally GOT RID OF HIM.

So I disagree that the level of "suckitude is about equal" with these two players. It's not even close to me and never has been. Buzz Kill stinks and Luke Walton has been an asset to the Lakers, having been a part of 4 teams that have gone to the NBA Finals in his 7 seasons. If Phil Jackson trusts him, that's good enough for me. I'd rather have Mo Williams on my team than Buzz Kill Radmanovic, even in the playoffs. In fact, there are few players who I have EVER disliked more in the NBA than Buzz Kill. I cant believe we got stuck with him on the Lakers.

What? Such a young loaded team with injury problems?

Gotta go celebrate the Yankee implosion!

Phil has finally converted Kobe...

Kobe's union statement, which I agree with 100%, couldn't have been timed better to rally the troops....I feel an offcourt momentum shift...

Kobe way to stand by your union, now that's leadership...Fish gotta love it...

I think the road trip, solidifies our team, gets them on the same page, and overcoming the adversity..


Dampier is still available. He would be the ideal backup for the vet. minimum.

Posted by: LAKER TRUTH | November 15, 2010 at 06:49 PM
=====

I'll defer to Mitch Kupchak.

Besides the signing of a free agent center, the Lakers can look to trade for one. Turiaf is the first one that comes to mind, secondly, Koufos, since Minnesota is hardly using him. I saw Kwame play today, his first game of the season, and he looked pretty good blocking or altering shots. Hummmm?
Otherwise, "Erica" may be our best option. I'm not panicking, and I agree that we need Bynum, that's why I was critical of him postponing surgery for the World Cup. :(

It's about time to consider signing up another big guy, it may take months for Ratliff to recover and Drew may not be 100% when he comes back. We do not want Pau and Odom already used up and banged up early on in the season. I think that's one reason why Pau and Odom are tentative or not so aggressive on defending the lane, it's a long season and they are protecting themselves not to get hurt....let us see what happens in the next 2-3 weeks if something comes up...

I like the idea of Miracle Mitch making a move....I'm sure there is some talent that would like to be taken toL.A.

I am hearing the Kings wants to trade their big man, 24 yr old 6-11, Jason Thompson:

http://espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3462

Hello laker fans,

Well, none of the threes were falling for the SUNS tonight. They used all that mojo up last night in front of Tom Petty and his friends.

Instead, the SUNS turned to their defense and their indomitable will to tame the feisty Nuggets. It helps to have a defensive ace at PG in Dragic to corral that little Ty Lawson.

And so, finding no challenger in the West, the SUNS now head east for MIA and ORL, ready to take on LaBrawn and Dwight. See you downstream, friends!

35: "What? Such a young loaded team with injury problems?
Gotta go celebrate the Yankee implosion!"
-
Good thing you have an O'neal with two good knees - between the two of them. You and your 35-year-old-average-starter-not-playing-the-point might want to cool the injury talk, lest you tempt fate and the C's run out of Ben Gay, wheelchairs or walkers.

BTW nice year for the Bosox. As I remember you guys even had a chance of knocking the Yank's out of the postseason going into the last series, but lost that too. Just goes hand-in-hand with the C's choke -errr- loss to the Lakers...


GO LAKERS!!!!

KobeMVP888 I agree with everything you said about Luke,

remember when Luke suggested to Phil to let himself come of the bench and move arriza into the starting rotation? The bench got solid and arriza fit in so well....we got Ron ron, Miracle Mitch...do it again

CyberBlaber-

Go Dodgers! LOL

Well, i think Mitch might have been sleeping on the ball a bit when it came to signing Ratliff. I would guess he has been making a lot of calls lately involving sasha's contract and a serviceable back up center.

in this case, i think Luke still has value to have around, but caracter and sasha's roster spots are definitely disposable.

If the Pistons want to trade away most of their players, could the Lakers snatch way Ben Wallace from them? or does Gasol has another 7' brother in Spain?

BTW nice year for the Bosox. As I remember you guys even had a chance of knocking the Yank's out of the postseason going into the last series, but lost that too. Just goes hand-in-hand with the C's choke -errr- loss to the Lakers...


GO LAKERS!!!!

Posted by: CyberCosmiX | November 15, 2010 at 09:29 PM

BTW to your BTW ... Who was gonna finish ahead of the Yanks if we beat them? Do you follow basketball as much as you do baseball? Hope not but it seems you do! LMAO

Hows your NFL team doing? And I dont mean USC!

LAKER (DISTORTS THE) TRUTH

Either you are KB Blitz or you are doing a great job imitating him. You take everything I say and either exaggerate, twist, distort or simply lie about it. You make it sound like I go around making all these predictions that fall flat on their face. Unlike you, who would love to see Luke Walton have a career ending injury to prove yourself right, it is not my style to make predictions.

For example, take Matt Barnes and your inaccurate take on what I said about him. Yes, I expressed concern about Barnes based on his journeyman past and I posted these thoughts after he was arrested on domestic violence charges and slapping a coach in a pickup game this summer (or whatever he did), but I did not offer up any opinions that Luke was "better" than him at this point in their respective careers. I simply stated that if both players were healthy, it wouldn't surprise me if Phil Jackson had Luke ahead of Barnes in the rotation. That obviously didn't happen and I am thrilled that Barnes is thriving with the second unit.

I also expressed that as a fan, I feel very comfortable with Luke in the lineup. Last night was a case in point. Despite his non-existent stats, the Lakers were +6 with Luke on the floor in his 6 minutes. Only Shannon Brown's +8 were better. Luke must have been doing something right. But I digress ...

CyberCosmiX understands. Here's what he had to say after your deceptive attempted trashing of me:

"KobeMVP888: Apparently, keeping a reasoned head, bringing up points without bias, criticizing the team in an even-handed manner, not keeping longstanding criticism's and biases against certain players and seeing the season within context and not flying off and ripping the organization based on a single game along with keeping a positive vibe has placed the trolls bullseye squarely on your back my friend."

I guess you're a troll, LAKER (DISTORTS THE) TRUTH. Who knew!!

Dampier would be a good addition. They don't need him to be a real part of the team, just someone to hold them over until Bynum is healthy.

By the way.

Tonight, Devin Harris committed a flagrant 2 and got ejected after playing 14 minutes.

Jordan Farmar took over, played 35 minutes, and got 15 points, 12 assists, and 2 steals.

New Jersey won by 14. Okay, it was versus the Clippers, but still...

I don't know about Dump-Here, but I guess I could live with him as a 3rd option at center.

Let's not be premature and wait until the results of Theo's surgery. Sometimes scoping is a few weeks rehab.
_______________________________________________

Triangle Physics: For Every Defensive Reaction, There is an Equal and More Lethal Triangle Reaction! The Triangulator

Go Lakers!!!!!!

LongTimeLakerFan - Jordan Farmar was never without talent, he just refused to execute the system the Lakers were running with a bullheaded obstinacy. (Of course, Jordan was 1-6 from the 3pt-line as well tonight, which is also part of Jordan's game too.) On a team like the Nets, power to him, but he thinks he's a #1 PG, and when you look at the #1 PG's in the game at time that's rife with great ones, that's just not realistic.

(Also, I EXPECT all my Bruin PG's to have AT LEAST an 80% FT percentage, NOT 67%. Maybe I'm spoiled, but Bruin PG's and great FT shooters are synonymous to me.)

the last game?
i'm over it already.

bad news about Theo, but i think they'll survive it.

MM, bring back the blogger DFish. I really miss his humor.

@LakerTom- I could not agree more about Young Bynum helping our defense. Good call, my man!

I think I heard Erik Dampier's agent calling.....

LTLF

I too saw farmar in action again the woeful n injury plagued clippers... Good game today.. Was active and making things happen... Of course couldn't shoot worth a lick but making good passes... I don't know why the clips didn't just give him the rondo treatment and dared him to shoot.. But then again vinny couldn't see that comin n didn't exactly gameplan around farmar... Nevertheless good showing off the bench.. But I repeat off the bench... I would love to see farmar in a starting role once devin harris goes down since you know that's gonna happen sometime soon... Don't think he can handle the big game pressure as a starting PG in this league but we shall see.. That day is coming soon... Just you wait.


Lakertom

I too can't wait for the much awaited return of bynum... Once he steps on the court we shall turn over a new leaf and let bygones be bygones... Of course he'll be judged on how he performs going forward and you can bet he'll be under a microscope scrutinized for every little move so I really hope he can brings it.. I mean really "bring it"... Will be crossing my fingers.

I know you're probably marking the days off your calendar too so I guess in that sense I'm happy for you too! Cheers!

And .... Bingo!

A LakerTom sighting, right on schedule.


http://www.ocregister.com/sports/lakers-276106-jackson-gentry.html

snippet:
The Lakers are now committed to using Pau Gasol more consistently on offense, and already we can see what a difference that makes in creating good shots – for Gasol and others. Gasol hasn't hit his usual shots the past two games – both losses – but that hasn't undermined the Lakers as much as untimely turnovers from trying to move and pass too fast.

snippet:
To understand just how much the Lakers are screwing around with their pace of play and thus their defense: The last time the Lakers allowed that many points before the Denver game was March 15 ... before they began gearing up seriously for their championship defense.

snippet:
Once Andrew Bynum returns next month, the Lakers will automatically have to calm down somewhat because Bynum, with his lack of speed and feeble transition defense, flat-out can't play this way.

Kobemvp888

Deferring to phil is starting to become your go to answer.. When in doubt are you always gonna defer to phil? Geez

And FYI lakertruth is no troll by any sense of the word.. How does ripping a player constitute being a troll? That is completely asinine... And yes a fan of the team has every reason to criticize a player based on each and after every game... Its called venting.. You should try it sometime.. Fan rule #1 Its always team first player second so not being loyal to a player does not mean you are not a fan... And another thing this whole luke bashing campaign believe it or not is not a new overnight sensation... Its been around since the beginning of lukes tenure as a laker for the PAST 7 YEARS... And is also rampant on EVERY MAJOR LAKER BLOG IN EXISTENCE... (Sorry for the caps) but you best get used to this luke bashing if you expect to get along around here. Just sayin...



yellofever - I understand fans' focus and, dare I say it, love for certain players, but I'm with you about team first, player second. To me, if five Popsicle sticks and some chewing gum in the shape of a PF could hit 60% 3's and had lockdown D, I'd be the first to yell "play 'em!" over whoever else was starting. Still, different strokes for different folks.

But I think you've gone TOO FAR on Luke. It's already been scientifically established that without Luke, there would have been no Big Bang, gravitational constant, or sentient life in the universe, and even the Book of Revelations has a passage about him: "And after these things I saw another player step onto the court, having little shot and no vertical leap, but verily the Coach Phil smiled down from on high and played him regular minutes; and Staples was lightened with his glory and BBQ." (Seriously, don't believe me, look it up.)

@LRob - Yeah, in my opinion it's beginning to affect the quality of the product I've enjoyed for my entire life. The rule is poorly written...and has been in place since last year only now it's been highlit in green by the league. Anyone saying it would be too hard to change, amend or do away with has such a short memory that they don't remember the disastrous ball change of '06. That flopped, they changed it. Same can be done here.


I'm all for a general lack of griping, it's unseemly...I get it. But the raw passion cannot be legislated. The NBA does not have the power to distinguish between good and bad emotional responses in the heat of the moment and no amount of David Stern bull crap spin is going to change my mind. The difference between what Lamar did and what Childress did minutes later were the words 'and one'. If they cannot use this, of all rules, consistently than it means either the rule is so poorly concieved as to add the incomprehensible onus of distinguishing emotional responses in a split second as well as determining if Manu is flopping to a ref's plate. Or it's there to affect the outcome of games. To control the NBA, make it more robot-like.


I'm sorry, but there was already a show on TV that pitted robots against in each other in titanic struggles of skill, speed and strength while being controlled by nerds on the side lines.


It isn't on anymore.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e4cHWS2758

Edwin,

The only two of those D Leaguers you listed I know anything about is Brian Butch and Greg Stiemsma. Both of them played at Wisconsin. I don't think either has NBA talent, although Butch is a decent banger and good outside shooter.

If the Lakers are going to consider picking up a D Leaguer they might as well give those minutes to Caracter instead and expedite his development.

LRob - yeah, Caracter over any D-Leaguers seems a gimme. I guess the calculation is can the Lakers hold out until Bynum is back to full strength, and will it put to much PT on Pau and Lamar... getting Andrew back but having Pau go down to injury (knock on wood!) would hardly be the answer. I think the "wait and see" approach is valid for the moment.

"too" not "to"

Frick.
-
Darn.
-
Not awesome.
-
What do we play for? RINGS!!!!
-
Lakers Today... Lakers Tomorrow... Lakers Forever.
-
GO LAKERS!!!

Bynum is hurt... again and we are again lacking depth in big men. Let's grab another Gasol from Memphis. I like how the last one turned out.

yellofever,

Bynum will takes weeks to get up to game speed. He always does.

Here's hope his usual January peak happens in may-june!

Anyone thinks that Lakers should pursue a trade Bynum-Kevin Love?
In my opinion, it's a no-brainer, if possible.
But I don't think that Minneapolis could agree: Bynum's contract, ill-advised, is too heavy..

Besides the turnovers Kobe played a well rounded game. 14 assists? Outstanding! However the Lakers left their defense at home. For us to three peat we need to start holding teams to under 100 points man. The Suns scored at will against us. The Lakers are just trying to outscore teams which is the easy way out. Everyone is scoring over 105 points a game which is surprising considering we have Ron, Kobe and Barnes.

You know who's available? (Drum roll, please . . .)

Rasheeeeeeeeeeeeed Wallllllllllllace!

Sitting out, biding his time (storing up days to avoid exceeding the limit on Ts). Basically in line for Boston to pick him up... but how about LA?

"Sacrilege," you say. A chemistry disaster waiting to happen?

I think with Thriller and Barnes (not to mention the triangle), he'd fit right in.

Steal the C's thunder, stretch the court, provide a little bit of toughness, earn another ring...

If you are looking for freebies like myself the best place online to get is "123 Get Samples" You can qualify easily with out credit card.

finallyyyyyyyyyy, someone is NAILING IT:

Oh good, it's the same old Lakers (regarding DEFENSE - my note)
by C.A. Clark on Nov 15, 2010 12:19 PM PST in Editorial

from Silver Screen and Roll (another Lakerholic Ivory Tower):

"Who's to blame? Pau Gasol probably needs to bite the first bullet here. Whether he's conserving energy because of an increased share of the offense, or because he knows with AB out he'll play a lion's share of the minutes in the middle, I don't know, but Pau's defensive effort has certainly been lacking, even if his rebounding is as good as ever. Besides Pau, I don't know of one person who deserves more blame than anybody else, but the team defense is not nearly as cohesive as we might have expected considering that all the new additions to the system are theoretically better defensively than the guys they replaced."

@t-sensei - yep, I'm with you about Sheed returning in Feb. However, I think its the Heat that'll come knocking instead of Boston. Sorry, but I can't stoop to requesting the Lakers to get Sheed. Just can't find it in me. (Feelings similar to Rodman in 99). However, if they did get him of course I'd root for him.

Good Morning Laker Fam,

The Lakers are hitting the road so here’s a song for the road by HOF class of 2002 Tom Petty…cause the Lakers should be King of the Road.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9pYepSl-Do

Milwaukee is nearly the polar opposite of Phoenix. They lead the league scoring defense giving up just 89ppg and they place at deliberate pace. Plus, John Salmons always seems to play his best against the Lakers . I’m expecting the Lakers to win a close one. Remember last year Kobe hit one of his buzzer beaters to win it in OT.


I believe the Lakers have only lost 3 in a row once since Pau joined the team and I don’t see it happening a second time tonight.

And since the first stop is Milwaukee, its only fitting to kick out a little something from Rock and Roll Pioneer & Milwaukee’s finest…Les Paul.

What’s the ceiling for the Lakers this year? How High is the Moon…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CNJ0txKXSo

Bynum, Theo and Lamar injured...not good. I agree with LRob about Nesterovic. Always liked his game. Dampier is a big stiff and it would probably take Rasheed until at least March to get into shape. Remember, his conditioning was an issue with the Septics last year, and that was with a training camp. Sheed is probably over 300 lbs. as we speak.

@ LRob...that was some serious picking and strumming from Les Paul! Thanks for sharing!

@ t_sensei,

No on Wallace. That guy hasn't seen the paint since he went to Dunn-Edwards in 2001 to buy some flat eggshell interior for his living room.

Peace!

@ LRob,

Lest we forget the Nick at Nite index-finger-over-pursed-lips-SSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH motion after making a big shot on the road (a la last game at the Gah-den).

Out!

[dbdh]

ouchhhhh,

re: Pau Gasol

[sarcasm] How dare you print an article which talks about one of the Lakers
bigs in an unflattering light? HOW DARE YOU! The blog ettiquette specifically
says:

None shall make mention of any deficiency in the play of Pau Gasol or
Andrew Bynum, regardless of observable facts.

All statements regarding Pau & Bynum *MUST* refer to their length.
note: you may substitute wingspan or height for length.

All posts which mention the names Pau Gasol or Andrew Bynum, or any
part their of, *MUST* say something flattering regarding the afore
mentioned, regardless of it's context or relevance.

ex: Bynum's tremendous length & excellent shot blocking skills were sorely
needed in Sunday's loss to the Phoenix Suns. His huge wing span would have
altered the 22 3-ptrs of the phx suns. His amazing lateral quickness would
have greatly impacted the porous defense of the Lakers by reducing the
Suns pts in the paint from 22 to -13. The Lakers, w/o Bynum nabbed a
measely 56 pts.

[/sarcasm]

btw, After watching Pau burn 40+ minutes a game for 3-4 games and
looking rather tired right now ....

How many people are glad that Bynum delayed his off season surgery so
that he could go watch the World Cup in South Africa?

Good morning all - missed out on yesterday's activities. But I do have to comment on all this AB17 stuff once again.

Laker Tom makes some very good points as always, Cosmix is in the mix too. But I don't think they can in any way push AB to come back any earlier because Theo is out and we need a big in the post. That would be the ultimate mistake which we have seen the last couple years.

Even AB can't start talking about pushing himself to come back any sooner. We just have to wait. Unfortunately.

And the team will just have to go through this stretch and try to get their defensive act together. There are no guarantees against any injury and you play those who suit up - that's all you can do. So, Pau and LO just have to suck it up.

I think this road trip helps. They should be able to hunker down and get their heads right.

Cheers all - PLG

PS - it's game day!!!

63 footer,

>>>(Also, I EXPECT all my Bruin PG's to have AT LEAST an 80% FT
>>> percentage, NOT 67%. Maybe I'm spoiled, but Bruin PG's and great FT
>>> shooters are synonymous to me.)

Well, then you must be overjoyed with him. He's hitting 90% of his free throws this season.

But I won't dispute that he was a bad fit for the triangle, and a bad fit on a team that already had a number of go-to guys. He wanted to be a leader, not just the 8th or 9th guy. And on the Lakers with Kobe, Pau, Bynum, Lamar, Fish, Artest, etc., that wasn't going to happen.

yellofever,

>>>I too saw farmar in action again the woeful n injury plagued clippers... Good
>>> game today.. Was active and making things happen... Of course couldn't
>>> shoot worth a lick but making good passes

Actually, 5 of 11 is 45% overall, which isn't terrible. But couldn't hit THREEs worth a lick, there's no denying that.

@LakerTom...Amen!!!!We DO miss Bynum and when he comes back, we will be BACK stronger and better and worth the wait. I predict he will go injuy free the rest of the way, if they can keep his minutes down per game!!! I crossed my fingers though! LOL

yellofever,

>>>I would love to see farmar in a starting role once devin harris goes down
>>> since you know that's gonna happen sometime soon

No kidding. That kid is fragile as Bynum.

And like you I don't know if Farmar can succeed being a full time starter. He certainly did a good job of it at NBA - the Bruins went a lot farther than expected. But the NBA ain't the NCAA, so what made him seem great there may make him seem like Sebastian Telfair in the NBA.

Kobemvp888

Deferring to phil is starting to become your go to answer.. When in doubt are you always gonna defer to phil? Geez

Posted by: yellofever | November 15, 2010 at 11:20 PM
=====

When it comes to matters of player substitutions, calling time outs and anything related to coaching decisions, you better believe it! Don't get me wrong, I cringe at times, but Phil Jackson does things for a reason and he knows his team better than anyone. So when he's experimenting with certain combinations of players and sitting players like Lamar or Artest for the fourth quarter, I may "disagree" with him, but Coach Eleven Rings has been at this successfully a lot longer than I have.

Oh, and when it comes to matters of personnel decisions, Mitch Kupchak has mastered his craft. It has taken him time and he has made some mistakes as all GMs do, but he has learned his lessons the hard way. So on this Dampier issue, what would you do? I can say that's a no brainer, but I'm sure it's not, so I defer.

LongTimeLakerFan - yeah, out of 22 tries, I hope he's solved that FT problem... but I don't think it's going to stay there if he gets more playing time. Great if he does it, but at 67% lifetime, odds are against it.

Good afternoon Fam!

I will be short and mainly just cheering you because I have a BIG fever and gotta rest a while if I want to make it for tonight chat.
And THIS time no matter fever I will actually chat as well cos FINALLY Lakers are on our tv too, which means I can use the only internet connection workin at my house to talk with you as game progresses, instead of spending it for setting NBA pass up :)

I'm sorry for the surgeries we're undergoing, but whatever doesn't break us will make us stronger ain't it?

I am way behind with reading comments (my feverish state did not help my reading today at work... you'll understand won't you?) so beside congratulate the RCOTD posters, there's not much more I can offer.

Tomorrow I'll be home all day though so I will trackback ;).

No way I miss any of your words guys.

I was meaning to post Avalanches as for song of the day but I will do it tomorrow, as in this very moment I am all awing and ravishing downloading Beatles Boxset from itunes.
YEAH!!!!! Finally iTunes sells Beatles!!!!
I have all vinyls and cds of them, but I guess they deserve more than anyone else a TRIPLE buy don't they?

My post of the day in music should therefore be Beatles but since we have already the Beatles expert among us, I leave to him the pleasure and duty and honor to pick up three songs by them in my place.

Anything Beatles is perfect in my book, so anything will just be spot on ;)

Catch you in chat at 2.

Not even fever can stop my Lakerholism, no matter if I have to wake up at 2 am ;)

LLL, Z. :)

(Oh... and WE GOTTA WIN. No excuses, no justifying, NOTHING. Today is a win and tomorrow is a win. END OF IT. Right, Lakers? It's a deal. ;))

And FYI lakertruth is no troll by any sense of the word.. How does ripping a player constitute being a troll? That is completely asinine... And yes a fan of the team has every reason to criticize a player based on each and after every game... Its called venting.. You should try it sometime.. Fan rule #1 Its always team first player second so not being loyal to a player does not mean you are not a fan... And another thing this whole luke bashing campaign believe it or not is not a new overnight sensation... Its been around since the beginning of lukes tenure as a laker for the PAST 7 YEARS... And is also rampant on EVERY MAJOR LAKER BLOG IN EXISTENCE... (Sorry for the caps) but you best get used to this luke bashing if you expect to get along around here. Just sayin...

Posted by: yellofever | November 15, 2010 at 11:20 PM
======

1) I was joking about the troll thing. CyberCosmiX made the implication regarding LAKER TRUTH and I jokingly chimed in.

2) I vent and criticize from time to time, but I do it in context and try to keep my vision on the big picture when it comes to a championship caliber team like the Lakers. This isn't the Lakers of the mid-90's or the Kwame-Smush Lakers; these are back-to-back champions, so the venting you refer to is downright foolish at times. I am well aware that all forums are flooded with these fans, so it's important to have fans like LRob, CyberCosmiX, LakerTom, LakerJ, 63 Footer and others who are voices of experience and reason.

3) As for the Luke bashing, keep it coming. I'm PROUD to be in the minority on the Luke bashing, the Fish bashing (which has finally calmed down after all these years), the Bynum bashing and to a far lesser extent, the Sasha bashing. All of these players have made contributions to our recent championship runs and to have end of the bench, out of the rotation veterans like Luke and Sasha is a luxury regardless of their salaries.

4) Your fan #1 rule may apply to you and to fans of sub-elite teams, but when you are talking about a team that has won back-to-back championships, I prefer to sit back, relax and show more appreciation than the rule implies. (You should try it sometime) There are fans from 29 other teams who are envious of us right now, so if you want to constantly criticize our players in a gravy, potentially historic season, then keep letting off your steam while fans like me who attend the games savor every moment of this wonderful team with its championship tested players.

KobeMVP888 - "so it's important to have fans like LRob, CyberCosmiX, LakerTom, LakerJ, 63 Footer and others who are voices of experience and reason."

Voice of experience and reason!?!? I am SO offended. I am anything but reasonable. I will not see reason at all! I am un-reason incarnate. My Native American name is "Fan-Who-Does-Not-See-Reason-Or-Lamb-chops."

I expect a sincere apology, or I will go all unreasonable on your azz.

And, are YOU experienced?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB3PXTTFB24&feature=related

Our easy choice is to go for Dampier but here might be the pending problem. Lakers have the highest salaries and luxury taxes will be levied at the end of the season. Knowing the need for a big man, Dampier and his agent may want to go to a team who could give him a better pay. There are still teams who are below cap and could afford to fork 50% of what he was making @ $10M with the Mavs. Lakers could only get him at minimum, they could be countering longer terms. Under the kind of situation, if I were Mitch let's go with D'League or Euro League.

These are the opportunities that Ebanks and Caracter should take advantage. If they truly belong to the Lakers, then this is their take off stage. Get out of those rookie jitters and just execute the basketball know learned from scratch. It is a matter psyching one's self or selling it to the brain that if Barnes or Brown can do it, then I can do it too, maybe better.

63 Footer

My sincerest and most humfelt apologogies to you, sir. Great clip!

Our easy choice is to go for Dampier but here might be the pending problem. Lakers have the highest salaries and luxury taxes will be levied at the end of the season. Knowing the need for a big man, Dampier and his agent may want to go to a team who could give him a better pay. There are still teams who are below cap and could afford to fork 50% of what he was making @ $10M with the Mavs. Lakers could only get him at minimum, they could be countering longer terms. Under the kind of situation, if I were Mitch let's go with D'League or Euro League.

These are the opportunities that Ebanks and Caracter should take advantage. If they truly belong to the Lakers, then this is their take off stage. Get out of those rookie jitters and just execute the basketball know learned from scratch. It is a matter psyching one's self or selling it to the brain that if Barnes or Brown can do it, then I can do it too, maybe better.

Posted by: Edwin Gueco | November 16, 2010 at 08:08 AM
====

I agree with paragraph #1 entirely. Any decisions will depend on Ratliff's prognosis following this morning's surgery. I am sure that Mitch will look at all of his options including trades, 10 day contracts, D-Leaguers and possibly players like Dampier or Josh Boone if Ratliff is going to be shelved for awhile.

As for the rookies, Phil Jackson doesn't like playing them to begin with and these two guys are mid and late second rounders. They won't be given much of an opportunity to show their stuff, just a few minutes here and there. That won't get them into any kind of rhythm. In hindsight, it might have been nice to simply re-sign Powell and Mbenga, but as you basically said, we needed a couple of cheap players on the payroll because we are so far into luxury tax territory.

All it took was two losses to drag the trolls, borderline trolls, masquerading trolls, embittered, sarcastic, cynical, dour, negative-toned half empty posters onto the blog.

Do Laker wins burn like a cross to a vampire?

This half-empty club does nothing more than look for reason to criticize. To bait. To bash.

yellofever: Too bad Phil sucks, huh. He doesn't know what he's doin, especially when he plays Luke. Where's ol' Delmer?

hobbitmage: You're obsession with LakerTom/Bynum runs deep. Has there been any post you've made lately without referring to them in a derogatory tone? Sick man, sick...

It's seems to always the same group, always the same people, always the same names. All you guys do is bait and bash away on the blog. Pathetic.


GO LAKERS!!!!!

Kobemvp888

Appreciate you response. Point well taken. I'm glad we agree then.. At the end of the day whether cup half empty or cup half full fans like you and Lakertom, or bashing fans like dfish, or hunky dory fans like cybercosmic fans.. ALL FANS ARE CREATED EQUAL.

But in regards to luke believe it or not you're actually in the majority... at least in this blog... All other blogs you would be in the minority but for some reason this is the ONLY lakerblog in the world where bashing luke is not conventional or an accepted ritual.. Go figure!


Connect

Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

All Things Lakers »

Your database for all things purple and gold.

Find a Laker

Search a name

Select a season

Choose one of our lists



Categories


Archives
 

About the Bloggers


Bleacher Report | Lakers

Reader contributions from Times partner Bleacher Report

More Lakers on Bleacher Report »



Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists:


In Case You Missed It...