Lakers Now

Round-the-Clock Purple and Gold

« Previous Post | Lakers Now Home | Next Post »

Which Laker would you want at your Fourth of July barbecue?

Happy Fourth of July, everyone! It's a day to remember those who have made sacrifices in the name of freedom, and many of us will celebrate with barbecues, trips to the beach, bar crawls and, of course, fireworks.

That got me thinking: Which Laker would you want at your Independence Day barbecue?

Mind you, this isn't a question to assess which player is the most popular, but more about whose personality would make your fete even more enjoyable.

Kobe Bryant probably would let loose a bit since the Lakers' championship win -- just don't challenge him to beach volleyball or a sandcastle-building contest. His competitive instincts will probably take over.

Ron Artest probably would have the most fun and bring all the fireworks, but don't let him light the match.

Derek Fisher probably would make an eloquent speech about what Independence Day should mean to us.

Lamar Odom probably would help give the party a chill vibe.

What's your take? Who would you want at your barbecue and why? Here's hoping everyone has a fun -- and safe -- holiday as we celebrate our nation's birthday!

-- Mark Medina

Follow the L.A. Times Lakers blog on Twitter: twitter.com/latmedina. E-mail the Lakers blog at [email protected]

 
Comments () | Archives (113)

The comments to this entry are closed.

No if and or buts, it's Ron Ron hands down! For coolness Kobe, For Dignity DFish. But for just all out fun I gots to have Ron Ron there!

Ron, Ron, Ron. He's got to be the choice because he drinks and likes to have fun. Kobe? No way. Kobe's the kind of guy who speand his holidays with three specific women, and probably no one else; and that's cool. But I doubt his circle of friends extends outside his residence. He's probably a great, great dad.


Derek? Nope. Again, I'll be toasting w/ the 40 of Old English by myself; pouring libations solo.


But you invite Ron, and the party train makes a layover. You get the Filipino family, the impromptu rapping, the singing,...it's gotta be Ron. Though he likes his food already prepared...


Wes

Hey, I'm not shy...I'll take the entire staring five and LO (although I'll do without the Kardashians, thanks).


Happy Fourth to all!


Love,
Lass

Bynum, so he can carry me around on his shoulders

I'd take Pau and Sasha and try to get them really toasted....I'd love to hear Pau say what's really on his mind, instead of the properly calculated answers he always in interviews and I think a toasted Sasha could really push his buttons....

July 4th, 2010.......when you were 5 years old, did you ever think that this day would come??? I didn't, and I'm glad there are no flying cars and robots in every home like the "Jetsons".

Toodaaloo!!!!

I would take Pau Gasol. He seems like a regular guy like myself.

Hey, I'm not shy...I'll take the entire staring five and LO (although I'll do without the Kardashians, thanks). Posted by: LakerLass | July 04, 2010 at 12:45 PM
*
Lass I'm shocked! Shocked I say! Lol! Lass, Happy Holidays to you & the Lad.
Mamba24

Luke Walton and Sasha.

Good barbecue and hot chicks.

These are hilarious responses. By the way, this will be the only post for today. We all have 4th of July plans. So enjoy the conversation thread and have fun today!

MM

Thanks MM, enjoy your Holiday Blog God you have earned it!

To my Beloved Virtual Wife Justa, Happy Holidays Honey! Every time I think of you it's like a 4th of July celebration of FireWorks exploding. I Love ya, Virtually & otherwise!
Mamba24/larrY

Ron Ron & LO minus the Kardashians and TMZ

Shannon Brown incase the frisbee gets stuck on the roof. Is he still a Laker?

I'd invite Derek Fisher and remind him, in spite of what all the unknowledgeable, so called LAKER fans say about him being old and inconsistent during the regular season, of all his big shots and timely offensive fouls he's drawn during crunch time throughout the past 5 LAKER championships. And, I'd reassure him that we really need his leadership and play on this team.

Ron Ron & LO minus the Kardashians Posted by: NBA4ever | July 04, 2010 at 01:28 PM
(although I'll do without the Kardashians, thanks). Posted by: LakerLass | July 04, 2010 at 12:45 PM
*
WELL I NEVER!

WELL I NEVER!
Posted by: CHLOE | July 04, 2010 at 01:32 PM

Uh, yeah thaaaaat's probably part of the problem. By the way sweetie, you spell your name with a "K."


Hey Mamba luv, a Happy Fourth to you and Justa.

Lass

WELL I NEVER!
Posted by: CHLOE | July 04, 2010 at 01:32 PM

Uh, yeah thaaaaat's probably part of the problem. By the way sweetie, you spell your name with a "K."


Hey Mamba luv, a Happy Fourth to you and Justa.

Lass

Pau and Shasha and take 'em around a low rider-cali style

*** REPOST ***

Check Out the Plea Made By Cleveland for "The King without a Ring":

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=16647

In His 7 Seasons, He's Been to the Playoffs 5 Times (1 Finals) and NO RINGS!

KOBE's Been to the Playoffs 13 Times (7 Finals) in 14 Seasons and 5 RINGS!

HEY LEBRON, THERE'S NO 'U' IN CHAMP!

BUT THERE IS ONE IN "CHUMP"!

HERE'S TO THE "CHUMPION"!
______________________________________________________

GO LAKERS!!!!!! ONE, TWO, THREE-PEAT SQUARED!!!!!!

GET ON THE BUSS, THE "JERRY BUSS" EXPRESS"!!!!!!

Hey Mamba luv, a Happy Fourth to you and Justa. Lass Posted by: LakerLass | July 04, 2010 at 01:50 PM
.
Lass, did I ever tell you, you are one Classy Lady? Thanks. same to you & the Lad!
Mamba24/larrY

Yes, PJ has been fortunate to coach the best players in the world. But they have also been fortunate to be coached by him. Ask anyone who knows anything about basketball, and it's not even a question. When asked about those who claim Jackson has only won because he had MJ, Pippen, Shaq and Kobe, Bryant said his response to them would be, "Don't talk to me about basketball. You don't know [expletive] about the game, obviously. We're done."

LO, hands down and bring the family, sister-n-law everyone. I'll get the video camara and make my own movie, LOL. Happy 4th everyone.

HEY LEBRON, THERE'S NO 'U' IN CHAMP! BUT THERE IS ONE IN "CHUMP"! HERE'S TO THE "CHUMPION"!Posted by: Marc B (With a 'C') | July 04, 2010 at 01:53 PM
.
OH MY GOODNESS! ROFLMAO!!! HERE'S TO THE CHUMPION! Oh SWEET JESUS HELP ME! hahahhahha!
Mamba24/larrY

I'd Invite the Laker Girls Entire Squad Sans the Lakers!!!!!!

We'd Really Get the Fireworks Goin'!!!!!!

"Nod, Nod, Wink, Wink. You know what I mean. Get the Picture?

Is Your Virtual Wife a Goer?"

[Monty Python Historical Quote Revised & Rejuvenated]
______________________________________________________

HAPPY 4TH TO EVERYONE, EVEN THE TROLLS!!!!!!
______________________________________________________

GO LAKERS!!!!!! ONE, TWO, THREE-PEAT SQUARED!!!!!!

LO, hands down and bring the family, sister-n-law everyone. I'll get the video camara and make my own movie, LOL. Happy 4th everyone. Posted by: 2Phatt | July 04, 2010 at 01:57 PM

2Phatt, Lamar and I would be glad to come to your party anytime, just don't invite that NBA4Ever guy or LakerLass.
CHLOE - I spell it with a C now. Womans perogative!

Current Laker: LO. As long as Kim K comes too...in a bathing suit...with a muzzle.

Former Laker: Mark Madsen. So when we turn on some hip hop, I look really good at dancing for once.

I tried watching that LeBron video, and I had to turn it off, it made me so nauseas...

@Marc B............LMFAO!!!

I'd Invite the Laker Girls Entire Squad Sans the Lakers!!!!!! We'd Really Get the Fireworks Goin'!!!!!! "Nod, Nod, Wink, Wink. You know what I mean. Get the Picture? Is Your Virtual Wife a Goer?"Posted by: Marc B (With a 'C') | July 04, 2010 at 02:00 PM
.
Hell Marc, who wouldn't? Lol! Alas I get all the Fireworks I need from my beloved Virtual Wife!
Mamba24/larrY

Ron Ron, Jeanie Buss, and the 2 new rookies...

Jeanie - I can get the REAL lowdown on the PJ signing...maybe a brief nostalgic story on her Playboy layout...

2 new rookies - Find out how they really feel, and some NY blacktop stories...

Ron Ron - where ever he goes is an instant party...maybe he could spot me a loan too...

Jeanie - I can get the REAL lowdown on the PJ signing...maybe a brief nostalgic story on her Playboy layout...Posted by: LEWSTRS | July 04, 2010 at 02:15 PM
.
LEWSTRS, I'm shocked! Shocked I say! Lol!

Jeanie - I can get the REAL lowdown on the PJ signing...maybe a brief nostalgic story on her Playboy layout...Posted by: LEWSTRS | July 04, 2010 at 02:15 PM
.
LEWSTRS, I'm shocked! Shocked I say! Lol!

Shannon before he heads to Boston.

Shannon before he heads to Boston.

Lamar, because he has the Super Dank.

Lamar, because he has the super Dank.

None other than Kobe!

If I own the place, Pau or Kobe.

If its a rental, Ron Ron. Hey, he stayed up late buying fireworks; could be a combustible situation!

Just watched the 4th Q of Game 7 again (the xth time, ha, ha). Just doesn't get old!

Kobe, Ron, and Lamar + Khloe. Hell, it's not just a barbq, it's a PARTY! Oh, yes, and since you said Lakers, gotta include JACK. Laker Girls as hostesses. I'll order the barbq for Luke's restaurant; he can come only if he cooks and serves.

MM
~~~
Happy 4th, everybody !!!
~
The real question is which Lakers Bloggers you would invite along with Lakers players. Want some fireworks?
How about Ouuuchhh and Pau Gasol? Or DFish and Derek Fisher? Or Pfunk and Phil? Or Blitz and Drew?’
~~~
I think there is no doubt that Derek Fisher will re-sign with the Lakers. The solution to the Lakers current dilemma as well as the problem of choosing a successor to Phil Jackson is for Jerry Buss and Mitch Kupchak to sign Derek Fisher to a 2-year contract with the team having an option for the second year for Fish to coach. Seriously, who really thinks that Brian Shaw could hold a candle to Derek Fisher in coaching the Lakers. Just like when Buss promoted Pat Riley after just a year as an assistant, sometimes you just go with the right guy.
~
Once Fish re-signs, it looks like the same starting lineup for the Lakers – Kobe, Fish, Drew, Pau, and Ron – with an 8-man rotation where Odom, Blake, and Sasha enter the game for Drew or Pau, Fish, and Ron with Kobe sliding to small forward. We still need another back-up point/shooting guard and center/power forward. It would be great if we could sign a vet like a Tracy McGrady or maybe a Kurt Thomas for the minimum. Anyway, a bench of Odom, Blake, and Vujacic will definitely be better than Odom, Farmar, and Brown. And Ebanks and Caracter should give us a lot more than Powell and Mbenga. Good job, Mitch.
~
PG – Fisher/Blake/XXX
SG – Kobe/Sasha
SF – Artest/Ebanks/Walton
PW – Gasol, Odom, Caracter
CE – Bynum/XXX
~~~
TOM

You know Laker Tom, at one point you were in agreement with Pfraud36 about Phil especially when it came to your boy Bynum.

"Will he play Bynum or will he send his confidence down by not playing him in the 4th??"

That you said back in the 09 Playoffs.

So it should be you and Bynum rather than me.

Have a Happy 4th.

AMMO - the teammates say he's funny!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JP - the dancer

DJ - M - for late stories and as bodyguard

hoping that Ron will show up after midnight draging LO along. for a second wind.

THE BRING BACK DFISH SUBURBAN CARAVAN

Like the Secret Service, we have unlimited black Suburbans
to escort DFish to the Lakers training camp in El Segundo...

====------ === ------===
/_____l______l__ ___\____
ll - - -PAY DEREK FISHER -------]
L___(0)l______l__ ____l(0) J

====------ === ------===
/_____l______l__ ___\____
ll - - -SIGN DEREK FISHER ------]
L___(0)l______l__ ____l(0) J

====------ === ------===
/_____l______l__ ___\____
ll - - -LOVE DEREK FISHER ------]
L___(0)l______l__ ____l(0) J

====------ === ------===
/_____l______l__ ___\____
ll- FISH WILL NEVER LEAVE ---]
L___(0)l______l__ ____l(0) J

Mark Medina
LEWSTRS
2Phatt
Jon K.
rdlee
Jackie
Jamie Sweet
Edwin Gueco
LakerTom
Tom Daniels
Floyd
apester
CTran
VMan
sean
Fatty
Mike G-Man
rambam
JohnnyP
A.
J-Dizzle
Rick Friedman
Jay Jay
Metallic
phred
Rob
pfunk36
m-photo
smartAssProducts.com
Carlos DeeP
WintonDupree
Lakerlady
Staples 24
mud
wes
RICK
Kevin
Gilbert Battung
Magic Phil
Art - FL Laker Fan
Robert
justanothermambafan
Mamba24
LakerLass
PsychedLakerGirl
Hamachi Toro
drey
Danny from the Bronx
Lockdown
Otis
Ronronindahizouse
Thorough
Marc B (With a 'C') (roof rack)
D(erek)J(eter)
teamn
INTANGIBLE
Tha Godfatha
Darius
BlackMambaFanatic
Chris Sheridan
Arash Markazi
Andy Kamenetzky
Brian Kamenetzky
Kevin Ding
Hadarii Jones
NewMexicoLakerLifer
dave m
CornerJ
Nemaia Faletogo (hood)
tata
Roland Lazenby

Ron Ron if its a rental? Hilarious Jef.

And John, I'm tempted by the Bynum ride.

But I gotta go with Sasha ...... if he brings his girlfriend.

How about Ouuuchhh and Pau Gasol? Or DFish and Derek Fisher? Or Pfunk and Phil? Or Blitz and Drew?’

Posted by: LakerTom

with any of these line-ups we can save on fireworks. LOL
except we will need paper plates and glasses. (what i really dispise).
no forks or knives.
just hand food.

Ron for sure

D@&* lost post!

As I was saying...Ouch, you make so much more sense when you don't talk about basketball, you should try doing it more often.


You like Tarkovsky films, right? I'm bothered by a few images in "Solaris" that I need someone else to look at. Have you seen it lately? Anyone else see it? Well, there's a couple scenes where it rains inside of a man-made structure that I find especially alarming. It happens inside the farm back in Russia and it happens inside the spaceship docked next to Solaris. I think I heard Tarkovsky himself describe it as "atmosphere" and nothing else, but I'm for a second buying that. Nope. No, it has to be a visual metaphor for the planet itself seeping into what we (both the viewer and the cosmonauts) think is reality. The rain in the farmhouse, especially, tells me that even at that point, the characters are ALREADY next to Solaris and are already under it's psychic mind-altering spell. Another weird thing that really bothers me is that freeway they travel on as the cosmonaut travels toward his spaceship for his journey to Solaris. That freeway is 1) no ordinary freeway 2) is not "just a modern travel way" as the narrator on the director's cut seems to suggest, but it is another important visual metaphor for some sort of living thing, in this case maybe a bloodstream, maybe we're actually being shown the inside of the cosmonaut's mind.


When you watch the film those two things really stick out and I've never been able to come up with an answer, except for the one I just gave you. And these visual metaphors don't stand alone, either. The inside of that spaceship is one spherical shaped window or archway after another. In every scene there's some reminder of a big, round thing just beyond the window, just beyond our sight, but oh so present. I think there's a hint there that even the viewer should not trust what he sees, that he's already neck deep in a conversation with a much more powerful being.


So the viewer really never sees the real trip to the planet Solaris, IMO. Because the cosmonaut is already there thinking he's back in Russia growing old. He's not. He's beside Solaris the whole time...


That's it. Any ideas? Anyone? This is the original, not the Cloony remake.


Wes

Art -FL Lakers Fan,

you wrote:

You point out what shoulda, coulda maybe would happen if players like Kidd, CP, Westbrook etc were on the Lakers.
Well they weren't, it's irrelevant.

Now your knocking Phil and questioning why you pay him so much.
So you don't like Phil either, guess both he and Fish should be gone.

Do I want Kobe sticking up for me?
Absolutely.
And he has already made public how badly he wants Fish back.

That's twice now you mention something about my Bible.
This is not the place for a religious discussion

my response:

So ... it seems like the point of the conversation changes, so that you can keep
your beliefs & while getting me to walk with you. That is suposition and
may not be true.

We started out this conversation about should Dr. Buss pay D-Fish whatever
he wants. It has not been clearly stated, but seems true ... that your belief is
that D-Fish will ask for a reasonable amount of money by *your* definition
of reasonable. You have made statements like:

1. if a championship is more important than money, Buss should pay fish.
2. Fish has a right to make as much or more money than Blake, the new guy.
3. we're only talking 2% of the payroll, which is 93 million


So ... if D-Fish has a definition of reasonable that isn't yours. i.e. he says I
deserve a raise, pay me 7 million dollars ... Do you still think Buss should
pay him?

I'm making the point that your definition of reasonable is *yours* and no one
is mandated to play by it. Therefore using it as the basis of discussion is hard.
It means that your only stating your opinion and anyone who doesn't agree
with your opinion is .. you might not say wrong, but you're certainly not
understanding of them. I hope that's pc enough.

re: other pg's vs. d-fish. You're earlier comment indicated that Fish's history
is grounds for a better contract than was talked about *although not offered*.
I countered with *THERE IS A LG NUMBER OF PG'S* who would have done
just as well. For that reason, over paying for D-Fish based upon him being in
the right place at the right time doesn't seem rational.

It is a common trait, when comparing things, to think about substitutions and
how do things work after. Therefore, bringing the other pg's into the
conversation is reasonable.

re: the Bible. You should know the man you're defending. My understanding
is that D-Fish is a professing/practicing born-again-christian. Meaning that
he lives his life by what the Bible teaches. So. Bringing in the Bible had
nothing to do with *you* and had everything to do with D-Fish and is
relevant because I know what the Bible says and that is what he says he
lives his life by.

you wrote:
We obviously differ on rewarding employees.
You'd probably like my generosity if you worked for me.
I'd probably quit if I worked for you, so you would win by default.

my response: Yes, we do differ because we're different.
I'm glad to hear that you're generous. You don't know jack about whether
or not I'm generous. We might not work well together because you seem
confusing emotions with thoughts & you seem to think that Buss should
*feel* the way you do.

You have two justifications for paying Fish whatever he asks:

1. You think it will be a tolerable amount of $$ for an extremely wealthy man
to pay.
2. D-Fish on & off the court was critical to the Lakers winning.

My response to your justifications are:

1. Your definition of tolerable is purely subjective and in fact is arrogant,
since you're not writing the check. i.e. you're making a moral issue out
of it with the statement: "if Buss cares more about championships than
money."

so we're clear on the definition of moral:


adj.

1. Of or concerned with the judgment of the goodness or badness of human action and character: moral scrutiny; a moral quandary.
2. Teaching or exhibiting goodness or correctness of character and behavior: a moral lesson.
3. Conforming to standards of what is right or just in behavior; virtuous: a moral life.
4. Arising from conscience or the sense of right and wrong: a moral obligation.
5. Having psychological rather than physical or tangible effects: a moral victory; moral support.
6. Based on strong likelihood or firm conviction, rather than on the actual evidence: a moral certainty.


2 - 4 seem applicable to our discussion.

my second objection:

Trevor Ariza was critical to the Lakers winning in 08/09. The Lakers
let him walk because he wanted a lot more $$ than they wanted to pay.
Now Fish was critical to the Lakers winning in 09/10. He *may* want
more than they want to pay. Either the Lakers have a double-standard,
which is immoral in my book, and did wrong by Ariza or ... they have to
be willing to let Fisher walk if he wants a lot more than they are willing
to pay.

Has to be Ron Artest, no doubt, no ifs ands or buts.

He seems like the most fun, crazy guy to be around. And afterward, we might hit the clubs and bars.

Luke Walton. He'll teach me how to dupe $30 million from my employer.

I have a feeling that if the Lakers want to fill out their roster with a few veteran's minimum contracts they are going to have to wait a while. Players like Kurt Thomas, Tracy McGrady, Raja Bell or Tony Allen are going to wait and see what they can get on the open market, not jump at a vet's minimum. I see us re-signing Fish and possibly Shannon Brown, then not filling out the roster until late August.
Just my opinion.

Gasol
Artest
Bynum
Fisher
Bryant
Odom
Sasha
Blake
Luke
Ebanks
Caracter
?
?

"Pau and Shasha and take 'em around a low rider-cali style

Posted by: LAL fan in Sactown | July 04, 2010 at 01:52 PM"

Yeah but they wouldn't pull that bandana thing off right, Pau cuz he doesn't want to ruffle his coif, and Sasha, cuz he would keep adjustng his and eventually it would be covering one of his eyes...keep em toasted'.....

Sure would like to see UPS and MMiller or KKorver on the team.

LakerTom,

After glancing at your lineup evaluation, I feel better, it all hinges on Fish. Fish is not a player you can replace. Yes his stats stink, yes, he gets beat off the dribble, but come money time, when you see him launch a 3 you never get that "oh no!!!" feeling, you get the "that's money in the bank" feeling. Yes paying him millions for moments is what it comes down to, but if no one else steps up to deliver during those moments it does not matter if you saved 2 to 6 million dollars over say 2 years.

h.

Interesting if Mike Miller doesn't sign with LA. What stats he could rack up. He would either have open shots or Kobe has a field day or Pau or Ron. Miller (Korver) would makes us tougher to beat.

Saw where Matt Barnes would like to play for LA. Very strong defender and decent shooter. I'm just not really sold on that situation.

I wouldn't mind Bosh for LO and Sasha, would make us more unbeatable.

Pau indeed. Kobe, Ron and Lamar would get bored in the kind of BBQ I go to. Never would invite the machine.

Julius,

You talking Sasha or Albert Pujols, ha, ha!

I want all the Lakers to come to my party...BUT....if Pau comes to the party I'll make sure he has his own beach ball in case he grumbles about getting more touches. I want Fish there to regulate anyone getting out of hand and make sure they don't drive home drunk. Kobe has to be there and I have to make sure he "eats first". RonRon definitely has to be there, he will be the party. I hope Lamar "shows up" at the party, I hope this is the day he decides "to come out and play." I'll rent those party blow up bouncer things for Shannon Brown to go jump around in. Farmar? Well I would hire him as the party planner because he "likes to run the show", but I don't know if he will be available now. I heard he left L.A. to go run another show......

Nick,

Excellent!

Farmar? Well I would hire him as the party planner because he "likes to run the show", but I don't know if he will be available now. I heard he left L.A. to go run another show......Posted by: Nick | July 04, 2010 at 05:04 PM
.
Cold Nick, Cold! Lol! Great Post Bro!

Mr. Buss and Derek Fisher. Serve them the best BBQ, watched the sunset, then the fireworks to calm their senses, then tell them they're meant to be business partners.

hobbitmage,

wrote: "It means that your only stating your opinion and anyone who doesn't agree with your opinion is .. you might not say wrong, but you're certainly not
understanding of them. I hope that's pc enough."

I have stated in previous conversations with you that whatever I wrote is just my opinion and you are entitled to your opinion and that we just disagree.
I didn't say "you are wrong and I am right".

Of course I understand that what is reasonable to me may not be to someone else, and vice versa.

You wrote: "You don't know jack about whether or not I'm generous. We might not work well together because you seem confusing emotions with thoughts & you seem to think that Buss should *feel* the way you do."

You are absolutely right, I don't know you or if you are generous in real life or not. We are all anonymous posters who only reflect a small window into what we are really like. I made that statement just based on comments you made and your reaction in your last post to being so fixated on Fish's weaknesses vs his benefits and I interpolated that to mean that's how you are. So what I meant was if that's how you are, I wouldn't want to work for you, but you are right in that I don't know how you are outside the blog.

Now, in real life you may be a great guy/girl and maybe even a great boss, so it is wrong for me to try and judge what kind of person you are outside the blog.

I would be surprised if Buss looks at everything the way I do, though he has shown a tendency to pay up even if it cuts into his profits and I admire that about him. All along I have been just stating my opinion about what I would do if I were owner of the Lakers and what I would like to see Buss do.

Since you don't know me at all, let me share that I am drawing from my own personal experiences of managing and owning businesses for over 30 years and the first hand knowledge of the benefits I have seen from rewarding employees for what they have done for me.

Your moral/immoral argument seems to be going to an extreme.
You are claiming to be able to judge a persons morality from blog posts and playing fantasy basketball GM and the occasional game of playing devils advocate.

Aren't you the same guy that throws personal insults at Laker Tom out of nowhere on frequent occasions?
Go back and read your own definitions you posted on morality.

This is getting way more personal than it should have so I am going to stop here.

I think that from this point on it would be better for us to not communicate with each other. We seem to have difficulty understanding the others point of view and we don't seem to be able to communicate effectively with each other and if we keep communicating I see it just getting uglier.

The blog probably doesn't want to experience this and neither do I.

We've both made our points and had our digs at each other, let's just let it go and leave each other alone.

And I will not blindside you with any negative comments if you will agree to do the same.

My apologies to the blog for the distraction I participated in, keeping from more pleasant conversation.

Derek Fisher is who'd I'd live to be an my Fourth of July party.


What do we play for? RINGS!!!


Lakers Today... Lakers Tomorrow... Lakers Forever.


GO LAKERS!!!!

I've been pushing for Matt Barnes for 2 years, I think he could bring more than Raja Bell, imagine Matt could start the fight, then Artest could finish it...man, tag team wrestling....

Back to LA,........come on Matt, they'll pay you accordingly...maybe not the first year, but they will.....

Art - FL Laker Fan:

Yeah, watch out for hobbit aka Mr. stat, when he fails in his attempt to communicate then he lashes out. He is in denial that Kobe Kobe does not have a chink in his armor, his beloved hero can't do anything wrong.

Edwin Gueco:

While it is okay for you to call Dfish an antique but when someone else "Intangible" calls you an elder you get your panties in a bunch, remember cry wolf?

DRAMA QUEEN............. never left the blog as we were told right after the title win, once again we have been hornswoggled..

hahahahaha

Derek Fisher is who'd I'd live to be an my Fourth of July party.

Posted by: Jon K.

wondering who will BLESS the meal. or just a "spiritual" meditation?

BLITZ.. Hey happy fourth to you and yours too. I’ve never denied that I understand why Phil drives many Lakers fans crazy with his substitutions and rotations. I definitely have thought at times that he held Drew’s development back, giving valuable minutes to Kwame, Lamar, and Pau and not giving Drew a chance to grow by playing him in the 4th quarter. We all know Phil can drive you crazy.
~
Having said that, I still have never wavered in trusting Phil’s handling of Drew, realizing that he is the proven professional with full knowledge while I’m just another Monday morning quarterback and back seat driver with a fan’s usual ridiculous impatience and need for instant gratification. Bottom line, I like how Drew has come along. He grew by leaps and bounds this year and showed me that he has learned a lot from having Phil as his coach. While the credit has to go to Drew, Phil shares it.
~
If you have ever traveled in foreign countries and then returned home, there is nothing in the world that compares to the total sense of freedom that standing on American soil creates for me. It’s time for all Americans to love their country and work to make it better rather than working to make it fail. And it’s time for all Lakers fans to love their team and be thankful for contributions of all our player and to root for them to play the game right and continue to win more championships. Happy 4th.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HOBBITMAGE… “Trevor Ariza was critical to the Lakers winning in 08/09. The Lakers
let him walk because he wanted a lot more $$ than they wanted to pay. Now Fish was critical to the Lakers winning in 09/10. He *may* want more than they want to pay. Either the Lakers have a double-standard, which is immoral in my book, and did wrong by Ariza or ... they have to be willing to let Fisher walk if he wants a lot more than they are willing to pay. “
~
Just to set a few things straight. Yes, Trevor was critical to the Lakers winning in 08/09, but the Lakers did not just re-sign him because he wanted too much money. IMO, they did not re-sign him because they had a better alternative in Ron Artest, a great move that paid off in spades this year. In this situation, the Lakers really do not have a viable alternative to not signing Fish. In fact, they still need to go out and get another combo guard to complete their backcourt roster. They did not need Trevor last year because they had Ron. This year, they need Fish. That changes negotiations.
~
Aside from accusing the Lakers of being unethical, the business reality is that every deal and player is different, depending on how important the player is to the team. You don’t negotiate with Kobe like you do with Mbenga or Farmar. In the same way, you don’t treat Derek Fisher, a player with as deep a Laker roots as any player in the game, the same way as 2-year Laker Trevor Ariza. Fish will make his point and Buss will make his but in the end, you can count on loyalty and trust resulting in a deal. Derek Fisher is a special player and deserves special treatment. He will someday coach this team.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HUMANOMALY… Here’s the thing about the rotation. Because Drew, Pau, and Lamar can cover all 48 minutes of every game at power forward and center, the open bench minutes are really for the Lakers perimeter players – last year Jordan and Shannon, this year Steve and Sasha. Luke used to be the 9th man, which Ebanks will be given a shot at and I think will be outstanding. Overall, I think the combination of Blake and Vujacic will be much steadier and consistent than Farmar and Brown.
~
What nobody is talking about – almost so as not to jinx him – is what kind of year Andrew Bynum is going to have next year. Once he has arthroscopic surgery on his meniscus and rehabs, there is good reason to believe that we will finally see a fully healthy Drew who once again has those above the rim hops and out-of-this world leaping ability. We may see a bigger, smarter, tougher, and better Beast. This is the make-it-or-break-it year for Drew. If he can stay healthy, the Lakers will dominate.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TOM

Interesting stuff about Bosh. Stephen A Smith is saying that Miami had a deal in place where Wade, LeBron and Bosh all would sign five year deals for 15-16 million a year. Bosh messed it all up by wanting a max deal and the 25 million more he would get over the life of max contract. So NY was offering the same deal as Miami, but I guess something changed because they signed Stat for the max. So unless something changes, it's gonna be Wade and LeBron together looking for a team, and my guess is it's down to Miami or Chicage, with Chicago being the best choice because of the players.


Wes

FISHER, BLAKE AND REDICK: THE RISE OF THE CHARACTER GUYS?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here is a great read from Lakers Blog favorite Roland Lazenby:
http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/lazenby/2010/07/04/fisher-blake-and-redick-the-rise-of-the-character-guys/
~
I find it very encouraging that Roland compares Blake favorably to Fisher. I have always thought Steve was a poor man’s Derek Fisher, which was meant as a great compliment. We still need to find a way to get a great young point guard like Darren Collison or a prospect like Ricky Rubio. But for now, I think it was a great move to sign Steve Blake. Now we just need to get Fish to retire and coach.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TOM

Fourth of July Party?

Bring em all. Bring Sasha hugging Kobe and Pau crying and Kobe and his kids, and Ron completely losing it with happiness, and Fish crying and covered in champagne, and a million fans all dancing and singing and cheering, the whole Laker Blog partying until three or fours days later they have to slink off and go to work or sleep or whatever...

Wait, didn't we just have this party? Oh yeah, when we won THE WHOLE FREAKING CHAMPIONSHIP! WHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Sorry, I'm still buzzing a bit.

The Fourth would be nice. They could all sit by the Lake, Luke could be barbequing, Vlad would have come back for a visit to show Ammo how to waterski, Khloe and Vanessa and Maria and a couple of Jerry's 'models' could all be wearing the little bikinis, Kobe and Ron and Lamar and Fish's kids could all be running around with melting popsicles and getting sand in their food and trying to feed Jeannie's dog bits of hamburger and potato chips, Phil would be sitting on a huge chair telling everybody about the time he called a timeout in the playoffs, Ron would be doing the Karaoke in between sniffs of the Hennessey, Lamar would be coming in and out of the tent with little puffs of smoke leaking through the windows and just making a ton of s'mores....

Sasha would probably be wearing a speedo and a hairnet and everybody would be laughing at him. Kobe would be grilling some hot dogs and burgers and chicken and every few minutes Fish would come by and remind him to not turn them over, maybe pass over a bit of barbq sauce every now and then. Drew would probably be sitting over in the corner, playing a bit with the kids, cause they are closer to his age, but he'd be having a good time, resting up with the knee thing.

ah, good times.

BE WITH THE ONES YOU LOVE THIS WEEKEND

IT IS ALL ABOUT THE LOVE

GO LAKERS!

Post Script.

Mitch couldn't come, because he'd still be at the office on the phone, trying to convince Mike Miller that 1.8 mil really is a good deal, if you play for the right team.

I missed all the locker room celebrations after the game when we lost power b/c of a tornado. Here's some videos I found:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIcN1eMymsA&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q0XwtoqUyM&feature=related


And a funny moment from S.A. Smith about Gasol / Kwame.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j9nsqv9m6M&feature=related


Wes

I'd have Dr. Buss - have you ever seen the women he brings to parties? Wow! Laker players are kids, not in their prime and their music is dope - the wrong kind. Give me class and great conversation, appreciation for beauty that spans the ages. Dr. Buss for me - 'twould be an honor.

Fourth of July Party - must invite Luke Walton! Watch him pounding beer, the only training he's ever done.

All these top tier FAs are a bunch of greedy Sh**s , if you want maximum money , just stay put, if you want a championship, sacrifice some money, you can't get both , jerks.Just that simple!

Raw-Dog Bynum or Shannon Brown for the simple fact, we can 5-hop in potato sack races. Bynum and I can tag-team in Hot Dog eating competitions and Bynum can lift me up so I can see fireworks.


LaKER BUSS 2010-2011 SON! NO DOUBT ABOUT IT! GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Phil Jackson & Kobe...cuz they'll bring kids to get along with mine...and to drink a beer with them would be cool.

Derek Jeter,

Where did you see that Matt Barnes wants to join the Lakers? Do you have a link? Thanks.

Hey Everyone,

Hope y'all had a safe fourth of July!!! Hey, didn't Magic say during the finals that he would be willing to help out financially to bring PJ back? Maybe Magic can help out financially to bring Fish back. Just a thought. Go Lakers!!!

Art - FL Lakers Fan,

you wrote: Your moral/immoral argument seems to be going to an extreme.
You are claiming to be able to judge a persons morality from blog posts and playing fantasy basketball GM and the occasional game of playing devils advocate.

Aren't you the same guy that throws personal insults at Laker Tom out of nowhere on frequent occasions?
Go back and read your own definitions you posted on morality.

This is getting way more personal than it should have so I am going to stop here.

I think that from this point on it would be better for us to not communicate with each other. We seem to have difficulty understanding the others point of view and we don't seem to be able to communicate effectively with each other and if we keep communicating I see it just getting uglier.

The blog probably doesn't want to experience this and neither do I.

We've both made our points and had our digs at each other, let's just let it go and leave each other alone.

And I will not blindside you with any negative comments if you will agree to do the same.

my response:

1st. you seem not to understand my use of the word moral, which is why I
included the definition. Based upon your statements, you still don't
understand how I used the word. ok. No. I have not claimed to be able
to judge any one's morality.
I can only give you what my understanding of the word is so that we can
best understand each other's points. Of course, that seemed not to work.
Oh, well.

2nd. re: personal insults at LakerTom. umm .... no. I always have a
reason for lobbing personal insults at LakerTom. I actually go into a
great deal of detail as to why I'm doing it.

No we don't have to communicate.

Best Wishes to you and yours.

MM,

I would've had Ron Ron at our BBQ today dressed as a clown to entertain the kids!!!

LakerTom,

you wrote: Just to set a few things straight. Yes, Trevor was critical to the Lakers winning in 08/09, but the Lakers did not just re-sign him because he wanted too much money. IMO, they did not re-sign him because they had a better alternative in Ron Artest, a great move that paid off in spades this year. In this situation, the Lakers really do not have a viable alternative to not signing Fish. In fact, they still need to go out and get another combo guard to complete their backcourt roster. They did not need Trevor last year because they had Ron. This year, they need Fish. That changes negotiations.

my response:

re: your opinion about why the Lakers didn't resign Ariza. I'm going to
believe Mitch Kupchak's words over your opinion. Since I disagree with
the basic assumption/definition of why Ariza over Artest ... the rest of
your argument is logically unsound & incorrect to me. That does not
mean that parts of the statements aren't correct. It means that I disagree
with your interpretation of why things happened.

you also wrote: Aside from accusing the Lakers of being unethical, the business reality is that every deal and player is different, depending on how important the player is to the team. You don’t negotiate with Kobe like you do with Mbenga or Farmar. In the same way, you don’t treat Derek Fisher, a player with as deep a Laker roots as any player in the game, the same way as 2-year Laker Trevor Ariza. Fish will make his point and Buss will make his but in the end, you can count on loyalty and trust resulting in a deal. Derek Fisher is a special player and deserves special treatment. He will someday coach this team.

my response:

I didn't accuse them of being unethical. I said, "if they treat Ariza different
then they treated Fisher they would be unethical." At this point, they
haven't done anything in which case they can't be unethical based on
behavior.

re: negotiations. You're being vague to make your point. All negotiations
should be in good faith be it with Kobe or Mbenga. Therefore your statement
is incorrect. Perhaps you're talking about leverage/power. i.e. piss kobe off
and he leaves and that is not what you want. I agree with you. The rub of
your argument is that you are not Jerry Buss and therefore *you* don't get to
judge the morality of his decision and neither do I.

Y'all mention the intangibles of D-Fish and your only support for that
argument is what other teammates said. You can't actually judge that
another pg wouldn't have made a similar impact on the Lakers.

All y'all see is D-Fish in the playoffs.

I see that, but I also saw the regular season and I also saw Dr. Buss
commit to the most expensive salary in the NBA. Dr. Buss has done an
incredibly great job as an owner. I'm going to give him the benefit of the
doubt. He was right about Kobe vs. Shaq. He was right about Ariza both
times. I'm guessing he'll be right about D-Fish as well.

I hope Fish stays with the Lakers, say 3.5mil this year as a player and 4mil in the 2nd year as assistant coach. I also want JJ Reddick or Raja Bell..get Theo Ratliff as a back up center...it's not easy to put the pieces together to achieve 3 peat...but it is possible....3 peat as we say......

I'll take the NBA's Renaissance man, Pau Gasol!!

HELLO CHAMPS!!!

I just wanna say that it saddens me to be away for a while due to some personal reasons.

I will be back to join the fray soon, why not? I'M A LAKERHOLIC FOR LIFE.

One more time, BOSTON SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


LAKERS ALL DAY!!!

Go LAKERS!!!!

Hi blogsters happy 4th to you all.Peace and prosperity and also good health to all of us,lakers player and staff and specially all our family.Hi justa I miss you.takecare baby.hahaha.lol

Looks like the Geriatric 3 will give it another go in Chowderville...

How about another Laker/Celtic finals...

Nothing would be better than Lakers tying Celts for the most Championships with another win over the Pukes...

Us old guys are into legends.

We like to discuss the 'good ol days', back when they played for the pure love of the game, and playoff bonuses were actually needed.

Even the endorsements were much more simple. "I use 'Old Spice' because I like to smell like a man!" or Jerry West shooting jump shots with shaving cream on, proving it stays moist. Now those were real commercials!

A good dose of nostalgic talking with Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, and Bill Sharman over some Watermelon and churned ice cream would be very nice indeed.

Ah, those were the days......

Current Lakers: Derek Fisher and Ron Artest.

Laker Legends: Jerry West and Magic Johnson.

I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE KOBE BRYANT BEC AUSE OF THE I NTENSE ADVERSITY HE HAS HAD TO OVERCOME AND STILL THROUGH GOD MANAGED TO PREVAIL. JEREMIAH 29:11 JEREMIAH 32:27 ISAIAH 45:3 JEREMIAH 33:3

wes---

Tarkovsky AND the Lakers.
Damn, the yin and yang of neural excitement.

can't comment on Solaris. Been too long.

But if you look at how much of Nostalgia is inside a character's mind, Tarkovsky certainly wouldn't shy away from such a move.

I couldn't help but think of this quote from the blessed Andrei Rublev (I believe from Andrei, as he stands inside a roofless church razed in the endless fighting of the film):

"Nothing is more terrible than snow falling in a temple."

and just to make sure this post belongs here...go Lakers

hobbit -

All your arguments are logical and statistically correct.

But logic and statistics don't win championships. If they did, Stockton and Malone would have won a few. So would LeBronze.

Heart wins championships. That's why a player with an injured finger on an off shooting night puts up 15 rebounds in game 7. That's why a player with a reputation as a head case puts up 20 points and locks down the best player from the other team in game 7. That's why a 7 footer with a reputation for softness toughens up when he's needed most. That's why another 7 footer drags a torn knee through 20 minutes to kick start his team. And that's why we're champions.

Derek Fisher is the heart and soul of the Lakers. With Kobe on an off night, who else would you have wanted shooting that game tying three? I don't care who has the best year round percentage. Fisher leads. Fisher comes through in the clutch. And Fisher needs to be a Laker for life.

Pay the man. Let him coach the following year or whatever, but for this three-peat, pay the man.

I would take Ron Ron. He would be quickly followed on the list by MAMBA 24!!

Mamba, good to see your 4th of July wishes.

I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT STEVE BLAKE!!! Has everyone in the League known forever that a lack of a true Point Guard and the ability to hit an outside shot is our greatest weakness?? Have we improved in our weakest spot?? YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If some Montana rivalry prohibited us from putting Ammo in the starting line-up, this is a very great alternative.

Next year - the year of the threepeat - is going to be a VERY GOOD YEAR!!

GOOOOooooOOOOOO LAKERS !!

John

I would like Ron Artest over for bbq. Who would'nt after watching his press conference after the Lakers won the Championship.

 
1 2 | »

Connect

Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

All Things Lakers »

Your database for all things purple and gold.

Find a Laker

Search a name

Select a season

Choose one of our lists



Categories


Archives
 

About the Bloggers


Bleacher Report | Lakers

Reader contributions from Times partner Bleacher Report

More Lakers on Bleacher Report »



Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists:


In Case You Missed It...