Lakers Now

Round-the-Clock Purple and Gold

« Previous Post | Lakers Now Home | Next Post »

Ron Artest performs Champion on KTLA

--Mark Medina

Follow the L.A. Times Lakers blog on Twitter: twitter.com/latmedina. E-mail the Lakers blog at mgmedin@gmail.com

 
Comments () | Archives (54)

The comments to this entry are closed.

hobbitimage,


I consider length to be a combination of height and wingspan. And ability to play of course, or Chuck Nevitt would have been an all-star.


During the Finals I was on a business trip to Boston and read the coverage in the Globe, etc. Doc Rivers commented that, with his wingspan, Bynum was as big as Yao Ming (who has short arms) and that it caused a lot of trouble for the Celtics inside. Bynum also has bulk and is not easy to push around. In Boston there was a lot of talk that Bynum coming out in game 5 gave the Celts a chance to take that game. If you read the Boston and listened to the Boton players and coaches and press Bynum was treated as a bigger factor than he was in LA. The difference between 2008 and 210.


Pau and Lamar are also very long, so the Lakers always had a couple of guys on the floor whose length impacted defense and rebounding. When opposing coaches talk about having trouble with Laker length they are talking about those 3 guys. Two of them are being talked about as trade bait among the folks here immediately after contributing to the the defense and rebounding that won a title. I guess it strikes me as odd.


Look, Bynum is tall, he is strong, he has a long wingspan. He has good hands. he has good footwork. He has a soft touch. The knock has been injuries. But his injuries have been legit, not of the Bill Walton/ Sam Bowie school. I saw Kobe land on Bynum's knees. It was ugly. It hurt ME. I saw Lamar land on his knees. If we can keep Lakers from landing on hinm he will be OK.


Bynum is a rare beast - a big, talented, real NBA center. There's lots of talented smaller guys, not too many big ones. I would not trade a rare commodity for a more common one. It would only trade him for a monster talent. Not a little guard, even a very good one. There are plenty of good PGs. The Lakers beat 4 of them in earning the title.


I may be proven wrong, I knw it is a gamble, but Bynum is a rare commodity and I would bet on his health and tell Kobe to stop falling on him.

LEWSTERS... “No one will prevent the 3Peat...
~
All this making cap space, mortgaging the future, and FA sweepstakes...
~
It is everyone in the league CHASING the Lakers...All the GMs and owners in the league wake up every day and think to themselves...
~
What can I do to match up with the Lakers...What moves can we make to give us a shot to beat the Lakers...How can we become like the Los Angeles Lakers...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well said and dead on. Even WEEI’s Celtics Green Street Blog, the talk is about how everybody now wants and NEEDS two bigs to match up against the Lakers. Here’s what they had to say:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FROM WEEI.COM GREEN STREET CELTICS BLOG...
~
On the evolution of the center:
~
And now think about how people look at the decision to take Greg Oden over [Kevin] Durant. Let’s say Greg Oden had never been hurt, he was a good player, but not a great player. People would still be second-guessing that. I think that’s one of those nails-in-the-coffin-type things.
~
And now, on the other hand, look at how the Lakers won the championship. If [Andrew] Bynum were healthy, would it have gone the full seven games? Probably not. The whole deal in the NBA now, that it’s a guard-oriented league, and guys are slashing out on the perimeter, I think the Lakers invented the new formula where you protect the rim. You can’t stop the guys from getting started out on the perimeter, but you can stop them at the rim. You need two long guys defending the rim, one on each side basically, and you have this defensive wall now.
~
I think that’s going to be like the thing that people are going to be talking about doing from now on, having two mobile 7-footers, or big guys, around the rim.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TOM

I totally agree with both Tom's. We need to keep our front court in tact. Its the PG and back up long distance shooting swing man that we need to address. The third priority is 3rd string center. Forget Bosh... we need to think more about Korver, Miller or Blake.

hobbitimage,


I didn't really address the Chris Bosh thing. I understand it. Bynums's been hurt and Bosh is a nice big man. It is sort of like hedging the bet on Bynum's health. It makes sense in that way.


I guess I just believe, as I said, that Bynum's injuries were legit and not neccessarily doomed to recur. And Bosh is another Gasol type player - a lanky PF. I see lots of teams getting by with two PFs. I also think it is no coincidence that 3 of the last four teams standing in the playoffs had actual centers - Bynum, Howard and Perkins.


If you can't get a legit big dude you can work around it and have a good team. Maybe even a more exciting team. But when push comes to shove, literally, it's good to have one. The Lakers have one and, if I were GM, I'd be slow to give him up.


He will never average Shaq like numbers on this squad because he won't be the focus of the offense like Shaq was, not as long as Kobe and Pau are around. But he can play a huge role in winning, especially come playoff time.

hobbitimage,


I didn't really address the Chris Bosh thing. I understand it. Bynums's been hurt and Bosh is a nice big man. It is sort of like hedging the bet on Bynum's health. It makes sense in that way.


I guess I just believe, as I said, that Bynum's injuries were legit and not neccessarily doomed to recur. And Bosh is another Gasol type player - a lanky PF. I see lots of teams getting by with two PFs. I also think it is no coincidence that 3 of the last four teams standing in the playoffs had actual centers - Bynum, Howard and Perkins.


If you can't get a legit big dude you can work around it and have a good team. Maybe even a more exciting team. But when push comes to shove, literally, it's good to have one. The Lakers have one and, if I were GM, I'd be slow to give him up.


He will never average Shaq like numbers on this squad because he won't be the focus of the offense like Shaq was, not as long as Kobe and Pau are around. But he can play a huge role in winning, especially come playoff time.

Did anyone else notice how Big Baby's presence was felt when Bynum was NOT in the game, and how he'd be ushered straight back to the bench when Bynum WAS in the game?

Remember how easily Pau makes plays when Bynums IS playing, versus how hard everything was for Pau when Bynum was sitting on the Bench?

I'd love to see what a Kobe-RonRon-Lamar-Bynum-Gasol lineup would look like during a grind-it-out game

Tom Daniels, that was a PERFECT comment, thx

TOM D... “Bynum is a rare beast - a big, talented, real NBA center. There's lots of talented smaller guys, not too many big ones. I would not trade a rare commodity for a more common one. It would only trade him for a monster talent. Not a little guard, even a very good one. There are plenty of good PGs. The Lakers beat 4 of them in earning the title.”
~
Thanks you again for all your intelligent, well-reasoned, and well-written posts. You’re a better Tom than me. I just do not have the patience to reply to Hobbitmage’s, Blitz’s, and Laker Truth’s constant disparagement of and refusal to appreciate Andrew Bynum’s contributions, value, and long-term potential to the Lakers.
~
It’s like having to share the blog with the Three Stooges. I will leave it to others to figure out which one is Moe, Larry, or Curly. Bottom line, all three of them leave me laughing every time they regurgitate their same tired illogical reasoning backed by their lame wired irrelevant stats, especially when they pull their WWE tag team act congratulating and celebrating each other for their deaf, dumb, and blind basketball perceptions. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TOM

Tom Daniels,

1st. Hola.

you wrote: I consider length to be a combination of height and wingspan. And ability to play of course, or Chuck Nevitt would have been an all-star.

my response: thanks for the definition. So. 7'0 with a 7'3 wingspan vs.
6'10 with a 7'3 wingspan. From a length perspective, are these significantly
different to you?

you also wrote: Doc Rivers commented that, with his wingspan, Bynum was as big as Yao Ming (who has short arms) and that it caused a lot of trouble for the Celtics inside. Bynum also has bulk and is not easy to push around. In Boston there was a lot of talk that Bynum coming out in game 5 gave the Celts a chance to take that game. If you read the Boston and listened to the Boton players and coaches and press Bynum was treated as a bigger factor than he was in LA. The difference between 2008 and 210.

my response: I don't disagree with the idea that Bynum caused a problem for
the Celtics. I agree that he has bulk and it makes it harder to push him
around. I was also able to see Bynum vs. Shaq and vs. Howard. I suggest
to you that against bigger/heavier players he doesn't play defense so well
and *can* often be foul magnet. Yes, he's getting better. No, I don't think
Perkins is that good. As I said earlier, for *me* the biggest difference b/n
2008 & 2010 was not Bynum. It was the SF position. In 2008, Pierce ate
Vlad Radmonic alive! Ariza was playing ~ 5 minutes per game and that was
off the bench coming off of a broken foot and not knowing the offense. If
we had had the Ariza-2009 model in 2008, we would have won that series as
well.

you wrote: Look, Bynum is tall, he is strong, he has a long wingspan. He has good hands. he has good footwork. He has a soft touch. The knock has been injuries. But his injuries have been legit, not of the Bill Walton/ Sam Bowie school. I saw Kobe land on Bynum's knees. It was ugly. It hurt ME. I saw Lamar land on his knees. If we can keep Lakers from landing on hinm he will be OK.

my response: I actually agree that Bynium is tall, strong & has a long
wingspan. I agree that he has good hands & a soft touch. I'm not sure I agree
about the good footwork since he has not had many good/great games
against any great centers. Let's ignore that for now.

re: his injuries. I agree that the Kobe injury was bad/ugly. Lamar actually
didn't land on Bynum's knee. Bynum landed on Lamar's foot and hurt his
knee. After the Kobe induced injury, the Lakers said: "Bynum has wide hips
& he's knock-kneed. He will be prone to knee injuries." For that reason, Bynum
will wear a knee brace for the rest of his career. Bynum's achilles [sp?] tendon
injury had *NOTHING* to do with anyone. He was loping down the court &
something went wrong. So. Let's not blame the other Lakers for Bynum's
problem's ok? He's built wrong. I asked this question before, and I'll ask you.
Please name one athlete, in any sport, who is agile, has wide hips and is
knock-kneed. FYI, I asked a number of athletes about this and no one could
name *ONE* athlete that fit that description. for your reading pleasure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Bynum

you wrote: Bynum is a rare beast - a big, talented, real NBA center. There's lots of talented smaller guys, not too many big ones. I would not trade a rare commodity for a more common one. It would only trade him for a monster talent. Not a little guard, even a very good one. There are plenty of good PGs. The Lakers beat 4 of them in earning the title.

my response: So ... it seems to me that the game has changed based upon
rules & the speed/power of the players. I don't disagree that Bynum is big,
talented and a real Center. I have questioned his character based upon his
actions. His playing hurt was great and I have commended him for that.
You seem to be arguing that a good C & an all-star PF/C combo beats
2 all-star PF/C combos. If you are, I don't know that that's true. To say it
a different way, Duncan & Robinson seem to make an argument for the
latter.

To say this a different way, people have been *INCREDIBLY* dismissive
of the Bynum/Bosh trade and judging by the numbers/accolades that
attitude is inappropriate.

If you want to bet on Bynum's health, more power to you. As a Lakers fan &
as someone who's got knee problems, I hope you're right. As someone who
has studied the human body for the last 20 years, Bynum's body gives me
concerns. btw, he was also injured in high school.

http://collegebasketballnews.scout.com/a.z?s=218&p=8&c=1&nid=1982980

His senior season was truncated due to an injury early in the schedule. Bynum returned to score 22.0 points, 16.0 rebounds and 5.0 blocks in his final prep campaign.

Tell Bynum to go take a martial arts class, so he can learn how to evade
people.

LakerTom, those guys have a point. I'm too very frustrated with Bynum, past 3 years dealing with injuries...makes us think. Sometimes he misses easy shots, sometimes his D is not so good...So those guys have a point. But, as Tom D said, he's a keeper for at least another year, let's see how it goes. He's one of the last true centers, and a good one, assuming he will play his first full season next year. So my point is, even not "loving" him, it's SO EASY to understand why we must keep him.
Cheers.

hobbitmage, maybe you're right...but yes, I'll bet on Bynum health AGAIN...Having a true center is RARE these days, let's go all the way with Drew, EVEN NOT LOVING HIM. Again, I'm as frustrated as you are.

MagicPhil,
you shouldn't be concentrating on Bynums production as he's playing hurt, or coming back from injury (Ref: "Sometimes he misses easy shots, sometimes his D is not so good"), and focus on his 20-10 nites when Pau was injured. Even when he misses, you need to recall how many of those were turned in putback by Pau.. becasue the teams "bigs" were trying to stop Bynum.

Tom Daniels- You're on point with our front line, Mitch would have to be insane to trade any of our big’s. We're the hunted; everyone wants to be like the LAKERS, I understand money is tight. But that's the scurfy you make to be the champs. That's the deference between New Jersey and the Lakers, one has cap space the other has TROPHY'S.

I agree that Drew has a huge upside, however, one more injury and he's ours for a LONG time. I'm kinda on the fence on this one. If LBJ wanted to come in a sign and trade for Drew and LO or Sasha, I'd do that for sure. For Bosh, I might think about trading LO and Sasha and keep Drew.

All that being said, I think signing Korver would be a really nice addition. We will have to address the PG position if we let Jordan walk.

LakerTom,

you wrote: Thanks you again for all your intelligent, well-reasoned, and well-written posts. You’re a better Tom than me. I just do not have the patience to reply to Hobbitmage’s, Blitz’s, and Laker Truth’s constant disparagement of and refusal to appreciate Andrew Bynum’s contributions, value, and long-term potential to the Lakers.

my response:

1st. I understand that it wasn't written to me. It was however written about
me, so I am going to respond.

2nd. I understand that you are an adult with a life. That being said, you should
go back and taking a reading comprehension course. You *CONSISTENTLY*
focus on all of the things I say which don't fit your view of the Lakers. You
*CONSISTENTLY* ignore the positive things I do say.

For awhile I was really pissed at you. Then I understood. You are actually a
*FAN* of Bynum. That is short for FANATIC. You don't actually try to
view the truth. You look at Bynum through rose colored lenses. I'm really
sorry that my words have a hard time going through your filter. It is what
it is. *I* think that I've been very civil to you and haven't said anything
negative/derogatory towards you in some time. Do us both a favor.

SHUT THE F*@K UP, old man. I'll leave you alone and you leave me alone
and there will be peace on the blog.

I have disparaged every single Laker when they have made egregious mistakes
over a significantly long time. I have applauded every single Laker when
they have done well. To be clear, I have disparaged Kobe, Pau, LO & Bynum.
You should remember the long conversations with KB Blitz about LO & the
small forward position.

You took exception to my quoting another blogger when the word Gasoft was
used. Everybody noticed that you didn't say jack-s$^t when Phil Jackson
told the spanish media that Gasol was playing soft.

I get it. You're a fan. Enjoy your life through rose-colored lenses. Leave me
alone and I'll leave you alone. Or, we can keep squabble. Either way, I'm
cool.

"He will never average Shaq like numbers on this squad because he won't be the focus of the offense like Shaq was, not as long as Kobe and Pau are around."

Hmm Tom Daniels.....

Because maybe he isn't Shaquille O'Neal.....when Kobe had his best season statistical wise in 2002-2003 he averaged 30ppg. He was the leader of that team because Shaq was slow to recover from his injury. How many points did Shaq average still?

27.5ppg. That's how GOOD Shaq was even if he was forced to assume second fiddle.

"And Bosh is another Gasol type player - a lanky PF."

Note: Bosh NEVER stopped Dwight Howard as defensively as Pau Gasol is so don't even compare the most skilled big man to Bosh. If Gasol was a free agent he would be ranking above Bosh in this 2010 free agent class.

Not to mention this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVsWuHblBwU

or this if you want a younger before his prime Shaq

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL6CYWJcx_I

And to the other blogger:

"Remember how easily Pau makes plays when Bynums IS playing."

Examples please? Footage? Why discredit Pau as a primarily outside shooter and not an inside presence? Have you forgotten Pau's game already. You want to make it seem Bynum was a HUGE presence yet who got 2 Finals MVP votes? Wiltisnumb01.....and as much as I love Wilt tell me who stopped his butt almost every time for titles?

Again to all the fans who want to respond by blasting Bosh as "not inside presence: Show me WHAT CENTER we need Bynum for.

Most likely none of you guys can't provide me an answer where we need Bynum against a great center because frankly Pau has OUTPLAYED those centers even as a second fiddle and playing CENTER.

I think all of us Laker fans have differing ideas and thoughts and don't see anything that should be personal about those ideas. If Kobe scored 25 with 8 assists consistently, if Lamar put up 12 and 12 consistently, if Drew played healthy and great "D" and had 16 and 10, probably none of us would complain.

MagicPhil,

Thanks for your response. I completely understand.

To be clear, because LakerTom won't pay attention and he'll misunderstand.
[ hopefully you won't. ]

Earlier I said, if the Lakers won Bynum would probably remain a Laker.
I also said, that I understood why he was good for the team & if he
continues to get better, that's great!

WiltChamberlainNo1, I agree. I was just pointing to the reason some guys here are frustrated with Bynum; but I agree with you: Bynum contribution is enormous and we must keep him.
Cheers.

Doesn't it seem that everyone is accurate about Drew? He can be a load! He has been injured year after year. A couple of those hurts were flukey. He does/can make us nearly unbeatable. He can play good "D." He mostly wants to score and make the All-Star team. You know, all that stuff is pretty much true. So there you are.

You’re a better Tom than me (Laker Tom).

You got yourself a point Laker Tom. One reason when it comes to Bynum I can be civil with him yet you go ape bananas.

Tom Daniels,

you wrote: I guess I just believe, as I said, that Bynum's injuries were legit and not neccessarily doomed to recur. And Bosh is another Gasol type player - a lanky PF. I see lots of teams getting by with two PFs. I also think it is no coincidence that 3 of the last four teams standing in the playoffs had actual centers - Bynum, Howard and Perkins.

my response: So ... How do you rate the following?

Kareem-Abdul Jabaar 7'0 225 lbs.
Hakeem Olajuwan 7'0 255 lbs.
Bill Russell 6'9 215 lbs.

D(erek)J(eter),

you wrote: Doesn't it seem that everyone is accurate about Drew? He can be a load! He has been injured year after year. A couple of those hurts were flukey. He does/can make us nearly unbeatable. He can play good "D." He mostly wants to score and make the All-Star team. You know, all that stuff is pretty much true. So there you are.

my response: wow. you actually read what people said and didn't try to
color it. props to you my man. [ assuming your not a women like justa. ]

TRADE ANDREW BYNUM ???
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The funny thing about all of this talk about trading Andrew Bynum for Chris Bosh is that NONE of the reports are coming from anybody connected with the Lakers, who say that they are NOT making any major changes. Does anybody believe that Hobbitmage’s, Blitz’s, or Laker Truths’ misguided opinions are shared by Jerry Buss, Jim Buss, Mitch Kupchak, or Phil Jackson, the guys who actually make those kind of decisions for the Lakers? Bottom line, the Lakers are NOT going to trade Andrew Bynum and anybody who thinks they will is wrong.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TOM

If Bosh really wants to come to LA, we could trade LO and Sasha for him and keep Drew. Toronto really has no options, Bosh can walk and they get nothing.

MagicPhil,

Do you feel the same way about Lamar's contributions as you do about
Bynum's contributions?

hobbit,

Yeah, man my friend. But on the ol blog you never know, huh?

"He mostly wants to score and make the All-Star team."

That's a HUGE point Jeter. Everyone is specifically paying attention more to his offense than the rebounding/making your teammates better thing and give excuses like "oh Pau and Odom get more rebounds" when it should be that Bynum should be OUTREBOUNDING them. (While I don't blame them entirely considering Bynum made $12.5 million though there are other ways to impact a game than just scoring).

Does Bynum makes his teammates better? Does he take over when it is clutch time and forcing teams to also consider him as well as KB? Or is he a product of a great system combined with the fact he's playing along with the greatest Laker of all time?

Kobe can't win without Shaq? Been there done that. Let me say really negative about Bynum: Bynum can't win without Kobe!There the first "negative" thing about Bynum I can say hehe.

No one (not even Hobbitmage) is denying Bynum is good. When the people who feel insulted by people who believe Bynum is a franchise player gets us rattled and they make mostly the worst excuses (oh he's a big guy (then why not put Mbenga?), Pau is not an inside presence Bynum is etc). For the true center argument? Again aside from Shaq O'Neal who else won a title without a true center in the last decade? What you needed to win as a perimeter player was a POST presence (Duncan/O'Neal/Garnett/Gasol). MJ played his own post presence especially in the latter years of his last three-peat. Pistons had Rasheed Wallace (this was before Rasheed decided to spot up in the perimeter more). You don't need a true center to win a title.....just a post presence. And many people forget Pau is a POST presence.

Anyone has an answer to which Center we need Bynum to counter against? I'm still waiting.

Doesn't it seem like Lamar is usually lost? I mean, he normally doesn't get many shots for one thing. If he misses a couple at first, I think he kinda shuts down (afraid to miss another). I think he's at his best when he gets on a roll. With Kobe and Pau and Ron or Drew getting so many shots, Lamar is kinda the 5th option. Or am I just making excuses for him?

Laker Tom,

We aren't saying to actively it WILL happen just stating the reasons why Bosh for Bynum to be a good trade SHOULD it happen. yet you guys go out of your way to bring this and that and discredit Bosh.

Again think with your HEAD man not with your EMOTIONS. And you tell us LO/Walton for Darren Collison/Okafar while stating the Lakers haven't stated they will trade Bynum.....see the Oxymoron in that?

KB,

Yes, let's do that trade for sure, ha, ha. Luke and Lamar for Omeka and Darren!


hobbitimage said:

_______________________________________________

an all-star PF/C combo beats 2 all-star PF/C combos. If you are, I don't know that that's true. To say it a different way, Duncan & Robinson seem to make an argument for the latter.
_________________________________________________

hobbitimage, Robinson was an agile, athletic center, but a center nonetheless.

Keep Bynum and trade Kobe for LBJ.........

Peace and Ball Hog-

"Anyone has an answer to which Center we need Bynum to counter against? I'm still waiting."

And keeps waiting and waiting and waiting hehe.

hobbit - you said " props to you my man. [ assuming your not a women like justa. ]


So - Jeter would NOT have gotten props if he was actually a woman?


:)


Just messing with you hobbit - you know how much fun that is for me!

Had the Lakers not won the title, they would have traded Bynum. Even now, you could make a case for trading him. LA's been to three straight Finals and won 2 of them back-to-back without much help from him. They pay him big bucks. Why not replace him with a healthy post player with All-Star credentials?

But Bynum gives LA something they would not have. A big man (with 2 inches and nearly 60 pounds on Bosh) with good feet and good offensive game that can shut down the lane and alter shots.

Gasol already gives LA what Bosh can and he's more much more polished. Odom gives the Laker frontcourt versatility and the ability to run the offense at PF in key stretches. Bynum gives LA bulk and production. No other team has this combination and that's a big reason why LA is where it is today.

I'm not saying Bosh wouldn't be great. But someone already fills his role and if they trade Bynum LA will lose a key element in the grind of the Second Season.

The only reason to trade Bynum is his health.

Ya'll come out to the ballpark tonight and see me play. After game autographs for Lakers fans only, ha, ha!

blitz, you are right. when you look at the current league, there is no "true" center that we need to counter with bynum. the only player I think that would give us real trouble from the post already plays for us: Pau Gasol.

people who think that bynum would put up shaq numbers if he were the focal point of the offense are delusional. bynum is nowhere near the player shaq was in his prime. most of the big rule changes in the last 2o years were because of shaq.

look, I like bynum and I think he brings something good to the table. what annoys me is that many of you continue to overrate his abilities based on a few nice games he had against deandre jordan and tyson chandler. he is not the second coming of kareem mixed with shaq but he has potential to be a decent role player...no more no less.

I agree about the health being a reason. Toronto might take LO and SV for Bosh over nothing?

scottie pimpin:

I for one would be more than happy with Bynum just being the team's anchor in the paint. Not their first option; his health alone might preclude that. His rebounds and blocked shots mean more to me.

Take football, for example. Great nose tackles can help you win Super Bowls with penetration, occupying blockers and collapsing the pocket, along with making a few tackles. That seems to be Bynum's role in this system. When Bynum occupies the paint, blocks shots, and rebounds on both ends, LA cannot be beaten. I'm not so sure any old role player can do that. He's worth more than his stat lines.

Health is the only reason to consider giving him up. I'm not so sure Bosh could just walk into that spot and make the Lakers better than they are today. I'm pretty sure that a healthy Bynum would make them notably better. It's a gamble either way.

hobbitmage, yeah...I feel the same. I know, I know...Lamar have ups and downs...But his potential is big. Now, what we Lakers do the best?
Change players, make them play their best. We can do it with Lamar, but I get your point: one more year of inconsistency and I'll throw the towel.
But for now, let's keep those guys.
Cheers.

Plus, SP, if what you say about the lack of "true" centers in the league is true, then that's all the more reason to keep him. He's a quality player that other opponents don't quite have. That's true of Pau and LO as well, and those are big reasons (literally and figuratively) why LA's been so good for the last 2 and a half years.

I guess the issue with bynum is that he hasn't committed to being our "nose tackle" in the paint. if he recommits to that role, then I'd feel really good about keeping him around...And he has some offensive game when needed plus he's a decent ft shooter.

LakerTom predicted that Bynum would be an all star for the last three years in a row - WRONG

LakerTom wanted Bynum to be the #2 option ahead of Gasol, but continues to claim how much he loves Gasol - LIE

LakerTom wanted the offense the revolve around Bynum over Kobe just last year, but continues to say Kobe is his favorite player - LIE

LakerTom predicted Farmar would be the Laker PG for this dynasty - WRONG

LakerTom wanted Lamar to be let go last summer to ensure minutes for Bynum. Now he wants Lamar traded again. Yet he claims that he the "biggest Lamar supporter out there". - LIE

This man is not a Laker fan, he is a Bynum fan. He is Mike T reincarnated. He gets angry at the Bosh rumors because the trade is unlikely to happen (true), yet continues to spew out his own unlikely trade proposals. - HYPOCRITE

LakerTom continues to say that Gasol cannot play center, yet he ignores the fact that Gasol held his own against Dwight. - LAME

When Laker Tom is in a discussion with someone who does not agree with him, he resorts to insults, and misquotes people, rather than providing a logical argument. - SAD

He loves to repost his same drivel over and over and over again. He even reposts his posts from years ago. - SAD

If hypocrisy had a name, it would be spelled LakerTom.

justanothermambafan,

you wrote: Just messing with you hobbit - you know how much fun that is for me!

my response: Girl, you are brutal! :)

Peace,

you wrote: hobbitimage, Robinson was an agile, athletic center, but a center nonetheless.

my response: Nice catch. Yes, he was a Center. A spindly 7'1 235 lbs.
compared to our spindly PF/C at 7'0 227 lbs.

Can you get justanothermambafan to spank me because I was wrong? :)

peace,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_forward_(basketball)

snippet:

Power forwards are not necessarily undersized; the duos of David Robinson / Tim Duncan & Ralph Sampson / Hakeem Olajuwon are notable pairs that could play either position, and are often called Center-Forwards.

you can still have justa spank me. :)

Wow. When did Bynum-Bosh become an issue again?

It looks like Bosh isn't even considering the extra year - he's just planning on signing wherever LeBronze signs.

The only way I could see the Bynum-Bosh deal become relevant again is if LeBron re-signed with Cleveland, Miami signed Wade and Amare and didn't have enough left for another max deal, Chicago signed Joe Johnson and Boozer, and Bosh didn't want to go to New Jersey or New York.

Only then do I think Bosh would go back and try for a sign & trade to the Lakers.

And I don't think Odom is enough to get the trade done by himself. I think Toronto would agree to Bynum for Bosh, but not Odom. And what's more, I doubt BOSH would agree to that deal either. He's going to want to start, wherever he goes, not play off the bench behind Pau and Drew.

Lets not lose our heads, Andrew Bynum will be the face of the League very soon, because he will be a top 10 All time center because of his work ethic, his touch around the basket, and the sheer Power he has going to the rim when his game and body both agree. I will say right now the Lakers have two of the three best big men in the game bar none. In order to play the kind of game we want to play, Bosh would be a weak substitute for bynum. The only player who has what it takes to replace Bynum in the lineup would be Dwight Howard, and something tells me orlando is not interested.

P.S Dwight has none of the moves around the basket drew has. If you deny the dunk Howard has got nothing.

They need to keep Byynum...He's only going to get better and bigger. Do you rememeber how small Shaq was his first few years?

hobbitimage:

when David and Fundy were on the floor, Fundy played PF and Robinson played C. When Robinson went to the bench, Fundy slid to C. So in reality, only *one* of those guys were a PF/C.

Spankings aside!


Connect

Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

All Things Lakers »

Your database for all things purple and gold.

Find a Laker

Search a name

Select a season

Choose one of our lists



Categories


Archives
 

About the Bloggers


Bleacher Report | Lakers

Reader contributions from Times partner Bleacher Report

More Lakers on Bleacher Report »



Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists:


In Case You Missed It...