Lakers reveal various trends in previous Game 3 losses to Utah

53620739

The Lakers made it well aware they remember vividly what's happened the past two seasons when they visited Utah for Game 3 in the 2008 Western Conference semifinals and in the first round of the 2009 NBA playoffs. After the Lakers opened both series with a 2-0 lead, the Jazz responded in quick fashion at Energy Solutions Arena, including a Lakers 104-99 loss on May 9, 2008 and a 88-86 loss on April 23, 2009. In the end, the outcome didn't really matter. The Lakers won both series and I predicted the Lakers would win in five this season.

But the Lakers obviously don't want to assume that, and they remember very well how their Game 3 loss to Oklahoma City quickly led to another loss and tied the series up at 2-2. Surely, the Lakers prevailed with taking the next two games, but it didn't come without a fight. And as the Lakers prepare for Game 3 Saturday against the Jazz, they specifically recalled what led to their previous Game 3 losses to Utah.

After the video, I detail on the next thread what stood out in the Lakers' two Game 3 losses, a pattern the Lakers pledge won't happen again.

Improved play from Utah

Utah presented a much different effort in its 104-99 Game 3 victory in the 2008 Western Conference semifinals than it showcased in the first two games. Carlos Boozer had 27 points and 20 rebounds after a nearly invisible first two games. That effort included a time where he scored eight points in a span of two minutes and 43 seconds. It wasn't at all surprising, considering the rowdy crowd at Energy Solutions Arena stood on its feet the entire game, an instrument that partly led to a 37-4 regular-season home record. Of course, the Lakers had handed the Jazz one of those losses without the services of Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum.

The Jazz also featured better execution in their 88-86 Game 3 victory in the first round of the Western Conference playoffs. Even without injured center Mehmet Okur (strained hamstring), the Jazz overcame the odds. Utah Coach Jerry Sloan made a change in the lineup, putting Andrei Kirilenko in place of Kyle Korver at small forward in hopes that it would provide a defensive spark.

The tactic worked as the Jazz held the Lakers to 36.8% shooting, which put Utah in a position to win the game in the final minutes. The Jazz took advantage of the opportunity with Deron Williams scoring on a 14-footer with 2.2 seconds left, preventing a 3-0 deficit.

Lakers' execution falters

The Lakers had gone undefeated in for nearly a month during the 2008 season, putting together a 10-game winning streak and six consecutive playoff victories. But that all came to a crashing end in their 104-99 Game 3 loss to Utah in the Western Conference semifinals.

It had all the characteristics of what the Lakers shouldn't do. They committed 18 turnovers and made five of 23 three-point shots (21.7%). Lakers forward Pau Gasol had what The Times' Mike Bresnahan said was "arguably his most ineffective game with the Lakers" because of a stat line that included 12 points, six rebounds, five turnovers and what Bresnahan described as "numerous appeals to referees in a distracted 40 minutes." And the team misplayed several sequences in the game's final moments.

Lakers guard Kobe Bryant slipped and lost the play with 2:53 remaining. Later on, Lakers forward Luke Walton committed a turnover after Gasol won a jump ball with 14 seconds left and the Lakers trailing, 103-99. And the game ended with Gasol passing the ball to nobody and drifting out of bounds.

The next year, the Lakers faltered again in the final minutes, and it went beyond allowing Williams to hit the game-winning shot. Bryant went only five of 24 from the field and missed a 28-foot three-pointer attempt as time expired. Lakers center Andrew Bynum collected more points (four) than fouls (five) in only seven minutes. And the Lakers trailed 26-17 in the first quarter after shooting only six of 25 (24%). Their poor marksmanship of 38% served as a stark contrast to the 57.8% mark they averaged in the series' first two games.

Follow the L.A. Times Lakers blog on Twitter. E-mail the Lakers blog at mgmedin@gmail.com

Credit: Lakers guard Kobe Bryant tries to get off a shot past Utah guard Wesley Matthews, left, and forward C.J. Miles during the first half in Game 2 of the Western Conference semifinals on Tuesday. Photo: Gina Ferazzi/Los Angeles Times.

What you talking about Justa?

Mark G - I guess you owe yourself some money huh?

Hey 131!! You're gonna have to change your name to 95-124!!!
Posted by: justanothermambafan | May 07, 2010 at 06:41 PM
WAAAAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHAHHA! OH THE HUMANITY!
DOWN GOES BOSTON! DOWN GOES BOSTON!!!!

I do damn it, and I don't welch.

Hey - did anyone see the previews for the new movie "Inception"?

What you talking about Justa? Posted by: 95-124 | May 07, 2010 at 06:43 PM

WAHAHHAAH! LMAO!! STOP THIS MADNESS NOW!

Seriously, I hate that fool's name, 131, like no other.

OMG Mark G - that was classic!

We really are a huge dysfunctional family, aren't we?? LOL!!

I do damn it, and I don't welch. Posted by: 95-124 (Mark G) | May 07, 2010 at 06:44 PM
MY GOD! A Troll with Integrity! I have seen the light Lord!

OMG Mark G - that was classic!

We really are a huge dysfunctional family, aren't we?? LOL!!

Posted by: justanothermambafan | May 07, 2010 at 06:46 PM

Yes, but apparently all I've got is a Slingshot.

Luckily I have Big Stones.

Larry you did not call ME a Troll!

Big stones can do a lot of damage.

@Mark G., Just playing wiht you bro! Sorrrrrry!

........and............. that's what SHE said.

ZING

that's "With"

@ Mamba24, I know bro, I'm just playing too. lol

Wow - Richardson just drained a 3 from the parking lot.

Someone's gotta get in that guy's shorts & make him work for it.

........and............. that's what SHE said.

ZING

Posted by: justanothermambafan | May 07, 2010 at 06:51 PM
WTH?

As much as I hate to leave the Love, I have to rustle up some grub, and probably KB and watch the Spurs game. I see you later, Family.

Someone's gotta get in that guy's shorts & make him work for it.
Posted by: justanothermambafan | May 07, 2010 at 06:51 PM
You do realize what you just said.

I'll see you later. Dang, I'm getting bad.

Later Mark, see you for the game tomorrow I got a feeling it's gonna be a classic!

Someone's gotta get in that guy's shorts & make him work for it.
Posted by: justanothermambafan | May 07, 2010 at 06:51 PM
You do realize what you just said.

Posted by: Mamba24 | May 07, 2010 at 06:54 PM

I agree with Mamba, that was Classic Justa, lol.

Chasing the Blog... I've gotta remember to check that I'm in the very latest post. MM, Yah Killing Me Peatie!!!

--------------------------

Edwin G: "MarcB, no worries on Mamba's temporary exile. You are one of us not those trolls who come in bunch and rile this blog. Be careful on whom you support because trolls and leprechauns are all deceiving, they have to use someone to divide this blog."

Thanks Edwin. I'll try. I kinda liked the acronym I came up with for T.R.O.L.L. I'm relinquishing it.

On behalf of KB24 and his outstanding D, I feel I must comment on a hater troll from an earlier post by russcrossover. I know you don't want me to feed the trolls, but I've tainted the food... LOL

It's a bit of a rant, but it's a basketball rant...

-----------------------------------------------

Russcrossover: "Kobe should not be on the first or second team."

Another Hater!

Fact is that Kobe, whether healthy or not, takes on and shuts down the opposing teams speedy, athletic guards (like Russell "Gone Fishin'" Westbrook) and the opposition's dominant small forwards at crunch time. And he does that without crying "Oh my elbow!" He won't even acknowledge his injuries.

Your reliance on Stats is a crutch for the weak minded basketball Common-Sewer. Grasping at straws like a true hater!

Stats don't tell the whole story! Deflections, shot alterations, closeouts, etc. are NOT tracked by the league.

If you understood what makes a great defender, we wouldn't be having this conversation. You would then achieve the true KB24 enlightenment.

----------------------------------------

Kobe's healthier and feeling spry. He'll show Andre Kyra-Sedgwick (formerly known as AK47) that there's only one Closer and that Closer is KB24!!!

GO LAKERS!!! ONE-TWO-THREE, DOMINATE!!!

Mamba24 - I didn't mean it like that. I'm just calling for some defense. There's no way they should be allowing him to take wide open shots. He's been hot this series so far. Posted by: justanothermambafan | May 07, 2010 at 06:57 PM
I know Justa, Just playing with you. I got to brush up on my humour it keeps getting me in troouble. Lol!

that's "trouble". Wow I'm more tired than I thought.

Damn, wouldn`t you know it...I had to help a neighbor out of an emergency situation just as the Celtic-Cav game was about to start!

Have no idea how the game turned out. I`m keeping this "blackout" going until later tonight.

Fortunately, I taped the entire game, and will sit down to watch it at midnight to watch Game 3.

Cannot wait to see how the Celts took that a 2-1 lead!

One thing you can say about the Boston Zombies - they sure are delusional

Cannot wait to see how the Celts took that a 2-1 lead! Posted by: RED`S LOVE CHILD | May 07, 2010 at 07:01 PM
LMAOF!! Funnnnny! Man you promised your boys were going to take care of Princess Jimmy. So what happens? They get home and they get lazy. Now is this any way for a 17 time champion to act? Come on now Red, I'm not playing I want your boys to take Princess Jimmy out. We got to get to the Finals and settle this thing!

Red - you're in for a classic game!

Red - you're in for a classic game! Posted by: justanothermambafan | May 07, 2010 at 07:06 PM
ROFLMFAO! WAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHHAHAHAAH!

Red? Red? Awwww the lil fella must be tuckered out!

Mamba24 - well we'll see what kind of troll he is if he turns up tomorrow!

Justa, Reds cool. He's not really a Troll he just likes to argue Sports.

Justa... Tell me the truth, are you really a girl?

Mamba24 - yes I am a girl.

Why do people keep asking?

Mamba24 - yes I am a girl. Why do people keep asking? Posted by: justanothermambafan | May 07, 2010 at 07:13 PM
If you have to ask, you'll never understand. Do you realize how hard it is for some people to shift there mental frame of consciousness after thinking somehting is one thing and then finding out it's another? Much like people thought Earth was the center of the universe amd when someone said it wasn't
do you know what they did to that sucker? Well it wasn't nice.

Not sure how to take that, Mamba24.

I'm really sorry for the assumptions that were made. I should have corrected them sooner. I apologize. Posted by: justanothermambafan | May 07, 2010 at 07:20 PM
Apologize, for what? Naw see I guess I'm not explaining it right. Sorry. You don't have to apoogize for anything. Theres no box you check when you log on asking if you are a man or woman. And since all we are doing is posting messages it really doesn't matter. So really it probably would have been better for your sake not to say you were a lady. Cause I can just see these girl jokes from the guys are going to go on and on and on. But then again, if you're cool with it who am I to say what you should or should not do. lol!

Well- I guess I'm the one that should self-ban.

See you guys later.

Whew. Just finished mopping the floors. Did I miss anything? The Celts made a great comeback, right? Right?

Justa,
Please, no self banning.

Mamba24, don't let her do this.

Well- I guess I'm the one that should self-ban. See you guys later.

Posted by: justanothermambafan | May 07, 2010 at 07:26 PM
WTH! Self Ban/ I guess I'm really not explaining myself right. You cool. I'm the idiot.
@LakerLass, hey Lass, yeah you missed the Celtics getting destroyed by Princess Jimmy!

Drama drama drama. You children play nice or so help me I'm turning this blog around...

JR

Justa, Please, no self banning. Mamba24, don't let her do this.
Posted by: LakerLass | May 07, 2010 at 07:29 PM
You know this is beginning to aound like a Soap opera.

Lass, Justa?

Ok - I posted the thought of self-banning BEFORE your post explaining your comment came up, Mamba24.

I'm cool - you cool - we all cool together.

Seriously - I misunderstood you but it's all water under the proverbial bridge. I never hold grudges - it's a waste of my time.

I'm fine with the girl jokes. It's all in fun.

I'm more concerned with how our Lakers do anyways. I just want them to finish off the Jazz, get some rest and then take on the next team. I want the repeat. I'd like redemption against the weeeeeners, but I'll enjoy the beatdown of whoever dares come up against us.

That's it. That's all that matters. Especially on here!

Don't forget - it's all about the love, and I've got more than enough for all the crazies on here!

(and thanks Laker Lass)

OK, now this is the Spurs that come out to play. Looks like the WWE with free throws.

JR

You know this is beginning to aound like a Soap opera.
Posted by: Mamba24 | May 07, 2010 at 07:31 PM

Yeah. So, what do we do about it?

AND CONCLUDES OUR ENTERTAINMENT FOR THE EVENING.

Tune in tomorrow for another episode of...

Damn it, I leave and everyone get's all serious?

JUSTA, don't you go! You didn't do anything wrong. Some people were obviously a little freaked by the whole thing, but It's only been a couple of days.
In a couple more days no one will even remember.

Don't leave Sis.

The very essence of irony: Manu got called for a travel when he really didn't

Damn it, you mean I begged for nothing?

Crap I wish I would have refreshed my window before I had posted that last one.

I didn't know Justa had already decided to stay.

I think we're all good again.

Just too many days between games. We lost our Laker focus. That's all.

Mark G - begging is always appreciated, but never necessary lol!

Please ignore the comment Posted by: Mark G | May 07, 2010 at 07:37 PM.

It was some Troll trying to make me look sentimental. I have no idea who it was.

Serious? You Want Serious? You can't handle Serious...

Oh wait, that's me.

Still watching SA and Suns. Is it me or does Alvin Gentry sound like Mr. Garrison? UmmKay. "Look, we're getting back into this...UmmKay?"

JR

OK I'm self banning now, I can't take the emotional Roller Coaster. lol

(kidding)

If you self-ban too much will you go blind?

JR

Ok guys - I'm apologizing for adding to the drama - and I'm out (for tonight)!

It's been a very long, emotional day (wth?? only a day??) and I'm tired.

I've gotta get my Laker focus back on. Gotta get ready for tomorrow. I REALLY really want to win game 3. Really, really badly.

I'm sure I'll catch up with y'all tomorrow on the live chat.

Meanwhile - enjoy the game, and try not to kill each other LOL!!!

JR, lol, so I've heard.

I think Tony Parker's accent is fake.

G'nite Justa.

Mamba24,
Roll call tomorrow?

WTH?? I've got a couple laptops, one's slow ad the other's slower, at least when it comes to loading the Times pages. So, I go on the less slow one and read through today's threads and comments and I write a post about how appreciative I am for the bloggers who keep it going here and then I try posting and... nope! A little box keeps comeing up saying "we're sorry, we cannot accept this data". What?! I' using my same dave m name, I never blog under anything else and I'm using the same email address I've always had. I try every which way and it won't work. So now I come back on except it's on my even slower laptop. Oh well, I've exhausted myself now. Hope you all have a great weekend, go Lakers tomorrow! (ok, this better post this time).

Come on SA, hang on to the lead. We want a game 7!!

The Cavs play GREAT loose... so a team should never let them get a big lead in the first quarter. Essentially everything has to be slowed down in the first quarter so the natural tension of a bunch of windbags ends up suffocating LeZero and his great to dopey men.

Jolly Rancher,

"If you self-ban too much will you go blind?"

And you will gain a strange, unquenchable compulsion to swallow your tongue whilst chopping off your toes with a hacksaw. It's a tragic thing. I don't make the truth, I just report it.

I respect the Spurs.

I don't respect the Suns.

I know the Spurs are a huge rival, but I don't hate them. I'd rather have them win this series.

If the Suns win, all those bad emotions from Smush/Kwame Era will come back and my heart will scream for blood.

My monitor is still crying after reading the latest drama. We should tweet this to NBA world, a sex change in the blog, how can that happen? ugh,ugh,ugh.....to be continued tomorrow LBSO lakers blog soap opera, bring a lot of tissues. What happened to the leppy team, the home court goes back to Cleveland. I hope the Lakers will handle their business tomorrow, no monkey business in Salt Laker City.

Thank you so much LTLF, boy you really have photo-digital on any player who wants to play in NBA, Mitch should use you as a scout. You have more in depth knowledge of players than LT, except for that one player, you can't beat LT's photographic clairvoyance of what will happen to Drew as a beast, not just ordinary one but a dynastic beast, franchise player might even change the name of the team itself to LA Bynum. That's how great he will be. lol! Do you still work LTLF or won lots of money in a Lotto? lmao

Mariachi is okay as music goes, but Norteno is among the worst music ever created. Awful Mexican polka with nasal vocals. Virtually unlistenable.

Steve Nash can do one hell of a chest pass.

I love playing basketball. I'm not particularly great at it.

Why?

I can't shoot to play my life.

I can defend.

I can steal.

I can rebound.

I can penetrate.

I can find the open man.

I can't shoot.

When I see these guys make off-balance shots with a hand in their face, I'm just amazed.

LakerLass,

Welcome back!

Mamba24 WELCOME BACK! Boy, am I glad you returned! WE seriously need you.

Jon K, just keep doing what you do.

Justa, I'm following right behind you. And, I'll lay my coat down to cover every puddle that might attempt to impede your progress.

Has the game started, yet?

--FEARless

Dave M,

"we're sorry, we cannot accept this data".

You are a marked man Dave M., LAT wants an agreement that you post only at one site. haha perhaps, you have to change your handle, make it Laker Dave. That's Lakers Blog where changing names or handle always happen. Another possible error, you addressed Mark M as Brian K. Wrong place lol!

FEARless,

"Has the game started, yet?"

Tell me about it.

What? Has it been like twelve days since we played last? It feels like it.

I hate the pick and roll.

Anytime someone sets a pick, the defender should be able for throw an elbow at their chin.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

That orange orangutang for the Spurs sure does annoy me. I'm not sure why.

ROFL DRAGIC IS KILLING IT RIGHT NOW

goran dragic come to the Lakers please

Wow. Phoenix is thoroughly impressive.

And I doubted whether they would make the playoffs when the season started.

I think Grant Hill would make a great PG in the Triangle.

The Suns are starting to worry me a bit... Not Nash or Stoudemeire so much as that speedy Dragic guy who can't miss a shot--the type that has "Lakers killer" written all over him...

The Suns? Really? REALLY?

Somewhere out there Butler is preparing to swoop down upon this blog like a vulture with a case of the runs.

DRAGIC 20 IN THE 4th
O M G !

Dragic is a Slav.

I'm a Slav.

We are strange, unruly beasts.

{Shudder}

Well they said that Dragic guy had only one other great game the entire season, so hopefully he exhausted all the rest of his awesomeness in tonight's game...

Ladies and gents, I present to you Goran Dragic. And there's no need to worry.

Dragic slayed the Spurs. Who would thunk it. Ron will just have to show a little corrective action when we meet them.

Edwin - I refuse to change my handle, haha... or to blog at just one site! My oddness knows no borders.

Butler - your team's playing some inspired ball, no doubt.

How did Goran Dragic slay the Spurs? His coach Alvin Gentry told him, don't worry about making mistakes. Don't worry about missing shots. You'll get your minutes. Just go out there and be aggressive. That's what a coach should tell a young point guard.

What did Steve Nash say about Goran Dragic? He's not here just so I can get a rest. He's here because he's a really good player and can help our team. That's what a veteran point guard should say about his understudy.

Sound familiar?
It doesn't?
Exactly.

Nice Rick.

Dave M - It's a good feeling to overcome a longtime nemesis.

HEY RED'S LOVE CHILD, 131-92, and Let's go C's!

124-95!

Lebron James outscores the Fake Big 3 21 to 17 in the 1st quarter! Outscores da Big 3 38-37 in the your little garden no less!

HAHAH! Anymore excuses and dodging those questions?? How about you 3 eat a BUCKET load of crow while having NO MORE injury excuses unlike last year.

It's a shame you guys talked so much smack and now LBJ just made Jesus Shuttlesworth have NO GAME, KaaayyyGeeee looking like a shell of himself and Paula Pierce become a wannabe Larry Bird. No wonder why McDonald's chose Dwight over da False truth to be in that commercial with Lebron.

Come you three your AARP's are fresh and ready......Rasheed must bleed!

So the Celts did it again! They lost a home game, after winning a road game, go figure. I didn't watch the game but....did the refs screw up? what happen???????? Smells bad...

Well, bla-bla-bla, let's win tomorrow, what about that?

Cheers.

Well, looks like the Suns are peaking at just the right time, they may actually give us a run. Dragic, geesh, another guard to torment us.
Let's close out these Jazz quick.

Jon - I've been pulling for the Spurs as well. They've had a real up and down season and it looked like they had put it all together against Dallas. That said, I won't mind seeing the Suns in the western finals. We've had some good wars with them in the past. Gentry has managed to put together a style that utilizes their speed and ball movement and also brings a desire to play defense.

Speaking of guards, T Porter was on the Herd yesterday talking bout how the league has become a Guard driven game especially the PG and how talented the Lakers are to be champs with no PG. I've posted before but what do the Lakers look like with an elite PG? Does the triangle hide that deficiency? Would trading Bynum for a young fast PG make us better or worse? Are the days of "throw it inside to the big man" going the way of rotary dial phones? How bout Bynum for Westbrook, CP3 or Curry? Would any GM go for that? Don Nelson has always pined away for a legit big but played with a team of smalls and he's got 2 PG's with Curry & Ellis.

D Fish is hard not to love as a human being but how can you shoot like 25% on layups? He has got to be the worst finisher ever. The guy can rain a clutch three every now and then though and is a true warrior-like competitor but he'd be better as a coach at this stage. He'd be like the Mike Singletary of the NBA.

HawaiiD - I wouldn't trade Bynum away, it's just too rare to have a dominant 7-footer. I don't think we need classic blazing speed at the PG but it's certainly our weakest position. I'm pretty sure we'll see some kind of movement there in the off-season. We're not going to get one of the league's elite players, it just doesn't work with our cap and assets. Probably, we're looking for that unrecognized or under-valued gem out there. Dagic's a good example of somebody who was a second round pick and has been a nice surpise.

This blog is freaking hilarious. You can tell how scared everyone is of Lebron - he puts up a 35-8-7 by the 3rd quarter and blows out the Celtics, and all everyone here can do is call him names and claim the refs fixed it. There are a select few players that scare Laker fans so bad they would react like that.

James Worthy - you're right about Jon K. For the amount of words he expends talking about basketball, it's ridiculous how little he knows about basketball.

« | 1 2 3 | »