Lakers reveal various trends in previous Game 3 losses to Utah

53620739

The Lakers made it well aware they remember vividly what's happened the past two seasons when they visited Utah for Game 3 in the 2008 Western Conference semifinals and in the first round of the 2009 NBA playoffs. After the Lakers opened both series with a 2-0 lead, the Jazz responded in quick fashion at Energy Solutions Arena, including a Lakers 104-99 loss on May 9, 2008 and a 88-86 loss on April 23, 2009. In the end, the outcome didn't really matter. The Lakers won both series and I predicted the Lakers would win in five this season.

But the Lakers obviously don't want to assume that, and they remember very well how their Game 3 loss to Oklahoma City quickly led to another loss and tied the series up at 2-2. Surely, the Lakers prevailed with taking the next two games, but it didn't come without a fight. And as the Lakers prepare for Game 3 Saturday against the Jazz, they specifically recalled what led to their previous Game 3 losses to Utah.

After the video, I detail on the next thread what stood out in the Lakers' two Game 3 losses, a pattern the Lakers pledge won't happen again.

Improved play from Utah

Utah presented a much different effort in its 104-99 Game 3 victory in the 2008 Western Conference semifinals than it showcased in the first two games. Carlos Boozer had 27 points and 20 rebounds after a nearly invisible first two games. That effort included a time where he scored eight points in a span of two minutes and 43 seconds. It wasn't at all surprising, considering the rowdy crowd at Energy Solutions Arena stood on its feet the entire game, an instrument that partly led to a 37-4 regular-season home record. Of course, the Lakers had handed the Jazz one of those losses without the services of Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum.

The Jazz also featured better execution in their 88-86 Game 3 victory in the first round of the Western Conference playoffs. Even without injured center Mehmet Okur (strained hamstring), the Jazz overcame the odds. Utah Coach Jerry Sloan made a change in the lineup, putting Andrei Kirilenko in place of Kyle Korver at small forward in hopes that it would provide a defensive spark.

The tactic worked as the Jazz held the Lakers to 36.8% shooting, which put Utah in a position to win the game in the final minutes. The Jazz took advantage of the opportunity with Deron Williams scoring on a 14-footer with 2.2 seconds left, preventing a 3-0 deficit.

Lakers' execution falters

The Lakers had gone undefeated in for nearly a month during the 2008 season, putting together a 10-game winning streak and six consecutive playoff victories. But that all came to a crashing end in their 104-99 Game 3 loss to Utah in the Western Conference semifinals.

It had all the characteristics of what the Lakers shouldn't do. They committed 18 turnovers and made five of 23 three-point shots (21.7%). Lakers forward Pau Gasol had what The Times' Mike Bresnahan said was "arguably his most ineffective game with the Lakers" because of a stat line that included 12 points, six rebounds, five turnovers and what Bresnahan described as "numerous appeals to referees in a distracted 40 minutes." And the team misplayed several sequences in the game's final moments.

Lakers guard Kobe Bryant slipped and lost the play with 2:53 remaining. Later on, Lakers forward Luke Walton committed a turnover after Gasol won a jump ball with 14 seconds left and the Lakers trailing, 103-99. And the game ended with Gasol passing the ball to nobody and drifting out of bounds.

The next year, the Lakers faltered again in the final minutes, and it went beyond allowing Williams to hit the game-winning shot. Bryant went only five of 24 from the field and missed a 28-foot three-pointer attempt as time expired. Lakers center Andrew Bynum collected more points (four) than fouls (five) in only seven minutes. And the Lakers trailed 26-17 in the first quarter after shooting only six of 25 (24%). Their poor marksmanship of 38% served as a stark contrast to the 57.8% mark they averaged in the series' first two games.

Follow the L.A. Times Lakers blog on Twitter. E-mail the Lakers blog at [email protected]

Credit: Lakers guard Kobe Bryant tries to get off a shot past Utah guard Wesley Matthews, left, and forward C.J. Miles during the first half in Game 2 of the Western Conference semifinals on Tuesday. Photo: Gina Ferazzi/Los Angeles Times.

I had a feeling Red's team was in trouble today.

OMG! Fix is definitely in. Lebron's elbow = Paula in a wheelchair. Fakers all.

Geez, at least the Celts could put up a fight.

Down by 19 folks. The Fix is in!

For once, Red's Love Child has a chance to do a good deed, but it's obvious there's no "D" in B""O""S""T""O""N"

Wonder what Darth Stern promised Doc to lay back?

Boo Birds are out in Boston.

Wonder what Darth Stern promised Doc to lay back? Posted by: Rick Friedman | May 07, 2010 at 05:01 PM
Now, now Rick let's be fair. Lol!

The good thing about this as a Laker fan is that we really can't lose either way. I can't feel that bad if the Celts get stomped. No matter who loses, we win.

No matter who loses, we win. Posted by: Mark G | May 07, 2010 at 05:13 PM
Mark G...THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! Let theme run each other ragged! lol!

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT! Let theme run each other ragged! lol!

Posted by: mamba24 | May 07, 2010 at 05:14 PM

No Larry, that's what I'M talking about. Thank God you came back! No more banning yourself during the Playoffs brudah! If you have to do it, do it in the off-season. :)

Lakers blowout = great effort. Any else's blowout = fix (unless the Kobe fanboy wanted them to lose, in which case it is proof of inferiority).

65-43 at the half??

RED - what's wrong with your boys?

I thought you said they had this?

Justa, you know you can't trust a Celtic Fan!

(Just kidding Red, I don't blame you)

tru dat Mark G - what the heck was I thinking??

Hey - did you notice? I might have my own troll now.... How cute is that?

celtic mystink on full display.

JUSTA, Yeah I noticed that--the stalker. I was going to ask you about it earlier but I didn't want to make things worse. But since you brought it up. . . . what do you make of it?

Seems like he was blaming you for my extra comment about the Talking Elbow Video. BTW, that Video was truly funny.

Maybe he's an LBJ fan, you do harsh on Jimmy a lot.

I have no idea, but if you're contributing to the delinquency of a troll.... well... is that possible?? LOL!

If I'm getting trolled on cuz of the princess, then all I can say is BRING IT ON YOU STUPID TROLL.

Are you watching this game?? This is quite pitiful LOL!

I thought you said they had this? Posted by: justanothermambafan | May 07, 2010 at 05:23 PM
JUSTA, No teasing of the Trolls! Lol!

CLEVELAND SUCKS. BOSTON SWALLOWS

Lol Mamba24! Hey - you watching the massacre that's currently going on at the Gahhh-den?

If you not gonna, BarBq them, don't play with your food. Feed it to the cat!
Lol!
P.S. I'm just playing with you Red! Lol!

If you not gonna, BarBq them, don't play with your food. Feed it to the cat!
Lol!
P.S. I'm just playing with you Red! Lol!

@Justa, DOWN GOES BOSTON, DOWN GOES BOSTON! Oh the Humanity!
Is the three knockout Rule in effect LMAO!!!

Hey Justa you are on Twitter right.

Yes I'm watching the game, seriously I thought the Cavs would win tonight, so I'm disappointed, but not surprised.

I can't tell by your post, are you implying I might be contributing to his delinquency, or do you mean you might be. Lol You brought him up not me!

I am completely befuddled here. What happened to the vaunted Celtic defense? The mystique of the Garden? The championship drive?

This is NOT the Celtics that Red would have you believe are alive and well. Those guys must have gone fishing, cuz I have NO IDEA who these guys are.

(Remember too, now that everyone knows you're a hottie, getting a stalker is much more likely) Posted by: Mark G | May 07, 2010 at 05:44 PM
Huh? We never had any Stalkers before.

Whenever I see a game like this I always think about the poor schmuck who paid a few hundred bucks a ticket to see his team at home, and he gets this. What a nightmare.

Mamba24 - I've got a twitter account but never use it. I only did it to sign onto the chat, but ended up using my facebook account for it.... Why do you ask? Cuz of my stalker?

Mark G - I'm just blaming all this on you. Don't worry about it. :)

Huh? We never had any Stalkers before.

Posted by: Mamba24 | May 07, 2010 at 05:47 PM

It's Friday Mamba, don't make me be logical please.

Naw! Forget. It was that damn Pseudo-Drama-Punk again.

Should we start a pool for the Margin of Victory here?

I think its going to be 30+.

WTH!

I get out from three days of jury duty and find that my beloved Mamba24 banned himself, but thankfully, returned. Oh my M24, that was like daggers to my heart, but I do understand when you need to go out for a bit of fresh air.

And now Boston is letting the Cavs have their way. Puh-leez. Well, at least each of those teams have experienced humiliation on home court.

Lass

@Justa by the way if your Stalker gwets to intense, Mark can easily get his IP address and find out who he really is.

Mark G - I'm just blaming all this on you. Don't worry about it. :)
Posted by: justanothermambafan | May 07, 2010 at 05:48 PM

Oh, like I've never heard that before! lol

That's gets not gwets, lol.

Mark G - I think you're right lol!

How about a pool to see if the crowd starts chanting MVP for the princess?

OH YEAH - that's right - they WON"T!! They only do that for Kobe!

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Mark G - I'm just blaming all this on you. Don't worry about it. :)
Posted by: justanothermambafan | May 07, 2010 at 05:48 PM

Oh, like I've never heard that before! lol Posted by: Mark G | May 07, 2010 at 05:52 PM
Hey you two! Get a room! lol!

@LakerLass, Lass is that really you!
Mamba24

Mamba24 - nawww - I'm not worried about this loser troll getting too feisty. I know y'all have got my back!

I'm not worried about this loser troll getting too feisty. I know y'all have got my back! Posted by: justanothermambafan | May 07, 2010 at 05:55 PM
You know it!

I do believe Doc has thrown in the towel.

On the other hand, princess is looking to pad her stats.

Mamba24, tis I.

(uh, you like older women, right?)

Lass

You're Safe Sis!

If the Celts are going to lose, I'd like to see it be as humiliating as possible. Go Cavs! lol Posted by: Mark G | May 07, 2010 at 05:57 PM
No, no, No! Then that will just be more Pub. for Princess Jimmy. Dang! This stuff is getting confusing!

JVG is talking Major Smack.

JVG needs to go van gundy himself.

Lass

Posted by: Mamba24 | May 07, 2010 at 05:59 PM

I hadn't thought of that angle yet Larry. Dang, this is getting confusing, and on a Friday no less.

I hate moral dilemmas on a Friday!

Mamba24, tis I. (uh, you like older women, right?) Lass Posted by: LakerLass | May 07, 2010 at 05:58 PM
Ugh, Lass where are we going with this...:-)
@Justa, Down goes Doc! Down goes Doc! ROFLMAO!
@REDS LOVE CHILD,God!$^&&* Red you promised your boys would take Princess Jimmy out. Now if they are not up to the task, I'm sure Superman Howard will be glad to oblige. Lol!

I heard JVG is going to be the new coach of the Bulls.

I heard JVG is going to be the new coach of the Bulls.

I heard JVG is going to be the new coach of the Bulls.

Hey! A comcast triple play! I don't know what the heck happened there Folks!

Are we pulling for anyone in the Suns/Spurs series? Or are we just hoping for a 7 game series?

By the way, I think I've finally caught up on the whole Justa reveal. Too cool! (not that it matters, of course) Posted by: LakerLass | May 07, 2010 at 06:02 PM
Lass, what are we talking about here.

Mark G - I really don't care about that series. Either way - meh.

Oh Mamba24,
Don't worry, I'm only a couple of years up on you.

Hey Justa,
I guess you got a kind of pseudo chat going. So howzit goin?

Lass

Larry did you see the "The Girlfriend" commercial for Jim Beam. OMG!

I'm good Lass - good to see you back!

Yeah - this instant posting is pretty cool. MM is the best!

Mark G - just so you know - NO woman feels that way.... It's just for TV, man.

Justa, It's almost like live chat.

DFish - that is actually the truest thing you've ever said.

Justa I just love that commercial though.

Seriously I'm pretty good about not objectifying women, but damn that girl is ungodly good looking.

HEY! We're the Freaking LA Lakers we don't fear any team. Teams fear us!

Wow, long day and I get home from work and find that Ron Ron got robbed, then was a twit but apologized. Rick F. scored with an outstanding comment, found out that the Sceptics had to have missed their Lucky Charms, the princess developed talking elbows, Justa attracted her own troll, and best of all, saw the return of a penitent M24.

That's not minimizing the discussion between the delusional Barcelona Ricky and our own Hobbit, or the many opinions about Drew.

It's all just too much to soak up in one evening. At least there was not talk about illegal aliens. I do hate it when those dang Romulans land in Kentucky, killin' the corn with their dang circles and they don't even have the right documents. Almost as bad as the Dutch.

I did watch some of the game from the Gaaden. Again from the viewpoint of the casual observer watching vermin consuming toxic substances. What does the princess have to do to pick up a foul, hit someone with a chair? Switched to The Outlaw Josie Wales and now watching Holmes on Homes.

It has to be game day soon cuz I'm starting to ramble......

JR

How completely classless is it that princess is still in there.

Is her coach too afraid of her wrath to take her out??

And how nice to have Mamba24 around in the evening.

(Ugh, the Lad got bored with the game and is channel surfing so now I can't join the jeering.)

Now as usual tell me why I'm completetely offbase.

Posted by: DFish | May 07, 2010 at 06:12 PM

Bro, I don't know if you're off-base or not, but I love BBall, whats wrong with taking an interest in the Suns/Spurs series?

" contributing to the delinquency of a troll "

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Ahhhhhhhhhh home sweet home :)

It has to be game day soon cuz I'm starting to ramble......Posted by: Jolly Rancher | May 07, 2010 at 06:15 PM
Lol! I know what you mean bro. I think that Cavs and Celtics are going a full 7 so the new MVP of the League can be showcased by Darth Stern!

Yeah I don't why Brown still has LBJ in there?

" contributing to the delinquency of a troll "LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Ahhhhhhhhhh home sweet home :) Posted by: complex brotha | May 07, 2010 at 06:18 PM
God@#%^ I told you people to stop playing with your food! If you are not going to BarBque them then feed them to the pets.

JR!!

Complex (my) Brotha!!!

Welcome home boys!

Yeah I don't why Brown still has LBJ in there? Posted by: Mark G | May 07, 2010 at 06:20 PM
Yeah you do Mark. Cause Brown is a Freakin Idiot. If the Princess is supposed to be injured why in the Hell would you play her in a Blow Out Game. This stuff is starting to be like the WWF.

hey, how many people can you get into a good ole msn chat?

JR

That elbow is talking LOUD & CLEAR.

Mark G - seriously - I think Brown's afraid of pulling the princess out. What other reason is there for keeping her in there in the 4th in a 30 point blow out??? Posted by: justanothermambafan | May 07, 2010 at 06:23 PM
God##$%^& cause he's a Freakin Idiot. Do you really think that Buffon is the coach? Princess Jimmy is the Coach!

At least Boston has shown they can win on Cleveland's home floor. Now they're going to have to do it again. I want the Princess watching the NBA Finals from home on TV, chafing from diaper rash.

The bad thing about the Nuggets being out is that Mamba can't use his "Are those Nuggets done yet, Cuz I'm hungry" line. That was my favorite this year Larry. Posted by: Mark G | May 07, 2010 at 06:25 PM
LOl! Thanks!

It's at 33, I might win the pool!

" I want the Princess watching the NBA Finals from home on TV, chafing from diaper rash."

JR

I want the Princess watching the NBA Finals from home on TV, chafing from diaper rash. Posted by: Rick Friedman | May 07, 2010 at 06:25 PM
Bite your tongue young man. Princesses do not have diaper Rash...They have royal crouch rash. By the way have I said it today...F* Princess Jimmy!

Rick F. lol, that was a nice use of chafing.

Rick F, how many Reader Comments of the Day (RCOTD) have you won already?

Rick - I'm not worried about the princess, the septics, or the tragic. As long as the East eats itself getting to the finals. Not that I'm worried about the Lakers winning, but because I want the to cruise to the parade.Posted by: Jolly Rancher | May 07, 2010 at 06:28 PM
THERE YOU GO!

TBH, I was never worried about the Lakers getting out of the West, though I was pretty shocked that Nugs and Mavs BOTH got taken out in the first round. I would have bet money against that.

I think we we'll see the Cavs in the finals, and I think that series will be a beach.

THE GIRLFRIEND

Posted by: Mark G | May 07, 2010 at 06:32 PM Oh it will be. Darth Stern will make darn sure it goes 7 games!

Man.. im sittin here with tears in my eyes from laffin at how completely insane and silly you mo fo's are and I totally MISSED IT!!! WOW !! Hilarious.. good stuff.. I'm not sure what you guys did to Justa.. but oh lawd!!! lmao Its like everyone else pulls out a slingshot and Justa and Mamba are using Rocket Launchers!!!! lmao ahhhhhhhh my hilarious dysfunctional family :) Ok gang.... holla at ya tomm nite.. gotta go be Mr Wonderful to my GF tonight so I can ignore her during the game tomm

gotta go be Mr Wonderful to my GF tonight so I can ignore her during the game tomm Posted by: complex brotha | May 07, 2010 at 06:35 PM
Go take care of the business bro, but make sure you bring yourself back for the chat tomorrow ya hear? Lol1 Take it easy Complex-Brother, DAMN! Its good having you back man.

Later complex(my)brotha!! Chat with you tomorrow. I'll try to keep the rocket launching down to a minimum lol!

Rick - my BFF - you're killing me HAHAHAHAHA!!!

Dang it, it's under 30, I lose in the pool.

Jolly Rancher, the image of the East eating itself is delightful. (And the indigestion - and food poisoning - it will cause will challenge the capabilities of known medical science.) Now excuse me while I go administer rusty pins into the elbow of my Princess Jimmi voodoo doll. Posted by: Rick Friedman | May 07, 2010 at 06:36 PM
RICK NO! Wait!.. Let me Help!!! ROFLMAO!!!

OH NO!!!

The Septics have just suffered their worst playoff loss in NBA history!!!

Hey 131!! You're gonna have to change your name to 95-124!!!

POOL!, POOL! You had a Pool on Princess Jimmy!

1 2 3 | ยป