How do this year's Lakers compare with last year's team?

50392554 How do the current Lakers and last year's squad compare? If there were a way to pit the two, perhaps we could answer that question. Sadly, the  technology does not exist, so it's tough to say definitively whether the Lakers are on pace to match or better the 2009 championship run. Anyway, such a scenario also would likely lead to numerous physical confrontations between 2009 Kobe Bryant and 2010 Ron Artest, as well as some possible trash-talking tweets from Ron Ron.

But for now, we have to rely on data and performances. But that's the complicated thing. Consider that this year's Lakers appear to be a better team based on the numbers.

Last season’s squad — even with Andrew Bynum missing 32 games — led the NBA in rebounding (43.9 boards per game) and ranked second in assists (23.3 per game), second in steals (8.8 per game) and third in total offense (106.9 points per game). This season, the Lakers are currently second in rebounding (44.32 boards per game), 16th in assists (21.09 per game), 11th in steals (7.46 per game) and 12th in total offense (101.69 points per game).

Overall, the Lakers outscored opponents last season by 7.6 points per game and allowed 99.3 points per contest, 13th best in the league. This season, the Lakers are outscoring teams by a sixth-best 4.71 points per game and allowing a ninth-best 96.97 points per contest.

Then consider the individual performances in the regular season between last season and this season, including Kobe Bryant (26.8 points on 46.7% shooting, versus 27 points on 45.6%), Pau Gasol (18.9 points on 56.7% shooting and 9.6 rebounds, 18.3 points on 53.6% shooting and 11.3 rebounds), Bynum (14.3 points and 8 rebounds, 15.0 points and 8.3 rebounds), Lamar Odom (11.3 points and 8.2 rebounds, 10.8 points and 9.8 rebounds), Derek Fisher (9.9 points on 42.4%, 7.5 points on 38%), Shannon Brown (3.2 points, 8.1 points) and Jordan Farmar (6.4 points, 7.2 points). For good measure, there are always the comparisons between Ron Artest (11 points on 41.4% shooting) and Trevor Ariza (8.9 points on 46% shooting).

But then you have to consider the individual performances in the postseason, including Bryant (26.3 points on 45.4% shooting), Gasol (18.8 points on 54.8% shooting and 13 rebounds), Bynum (10.8 points on 58.3% shooting and 9.1 rebounds), Fisher (10.7 points on 45.3% shooting), Artest (10.3 points-per-game average on 39% shooting), Odom (8.3 points and 8.4 rebounds), Brown (6 points) and Farmar (5.1 points). Beyond the statistical comparisons, though, it's hard to equate whether the Lakers are better during this postseason compared with last year's postseason.

No doubt, the Lakers are in a better position in the playoffs themselves. Though they tested everyone's sanity last year with a seven-game semifinal series with Houston, the Lakers are on the verge of sweeping Utah, assuming they collect a Game 4 victory Monday night. But does this point more to the fact that Houston's scrappiness and quickness proved advantageous against a disinterested Lakers team? Does the Lakers' success against Utah have more to do with Utah not having the length to compete with the Lakers' inside game as well as the Lakers' overall health improving? Then you look at the first-round matchup, when the Lakers went nip-and-tuck against Oklahoma City this season, although they breezed past Utah last season.

I maintained all season that the Lakers couldn't simply rely on turning on the playoff switch. Yet, there is an unpredictability, for better or worse, where the matchups and injuries make all the difference. No doubt, the Lakers are in pretty good shape and should have no problem playing Phoenix in the West Finals. But as far as who's the better team? I'm going to go with the players on this one, who mentioned recently that the only litmus test entailed whether the Lakers repeated.

-- Mark Medina

Follow the L.A. Times Lakers blog on Twitter. E-mail the Lakers blog at mgmedin@gmail.com

Photo: Kobe Bryant signals how many NBA titles he has won while cradling the championship and MVP trophies after the Lakers beat Orlando in Game 5 on June 14, 2009. Credit: Robert Gauthier / Los Angeles Times

IS LOS SUNS FOR REAL..CAN THEY BEAT THE LAKERS?

Is Alvin Gentry really Malcolm X??

Looks like Lakers (if they beat Suns) versus the Orlando Magic....

They don't have the same hunger, except for Kobe & DFish. That is another reason they got Thrillah to provide the hunger that some of the other guys might lack since he is the only one without a Ring

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY LAKERLASS - BANDWAGON
(01) MAMBA24 - OWNER - Happy Birthday Lass my virtual love
(02) ZAIRA - DRIVER
(03) LAKERLADD - RIDING SHOTGUN - SURPRISE
(04)
(05) J24(LADYJEM24) SECURITY -

Posted by: Mamba24 | May 10, 2010 at 01:59 PM

"The late great Oscar brown Jr. He passed away a few years ago. But his daughter Maggie continues the legacy. I hate to be a name dropper but I knew his daughter Maggie. . . ."

Posted by: Mamba24 | May 10, 2010 at 01:27 PM

I admit to wavering heavily about a month ago...
Done with that.

Here's the new anthem.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBAYyabeHnw

Mamba, If I run into Maggie, I'll be asking her if she knows any diehard Laker fans named Larry. Given your popularity with the fairer gender, I was looking for Brown's "A Ladiesman," in your honor. Unfortunately I couldn't find it on Youtube. But I Was Cool still seemed appropriate. Posted by: Mark G | May 10, 2010 at 02:02 PM
Mamba24(larrY)

Jazz fans are classless bunch of morons, but I’m thankful for waking up a lion when Fish exploded with 20 pts from outside shooting. They can keep booing him today; maybe Fish will go for 30 pts. Why did not boo own Carlos Boozer, who lied to Cleveland in order to get released from rookie contract and sign with Utah after that? So here you have a typical Jazz “righteous” logic – everything what benefit Jazz is moral and ethical, everything what hurt Jazz chances is immoral and unethical. Great way of thinking Utah!!!
I hope Lakers will come up with the intent to sweep them and maybe Mamba we should start our newest bandwagon – LETS BRING OUR BROOMS!!!

Art FL - Congrats for RCOTD!

Mamba24- You're giving away your secret ID.

Mamba24- You're giving away your secret ID. Posted by: Mark G | May 10, 2010 at 02:09 PM
Naw Bro, there were several different versions of that show in several different decades. So that could put me anywhere between 18 to 98. Plus your light skin freckled guys are a dime a dozen. But thanks for the caution. As they say. Those who know your TRUE NAME, control you! Lol!
Mamba24

@Mark G, Now my admitted association with Congressman and former Black Panther Minister of Defense Bobby Rush might put my ID in more jeopordy.
Mamba24

Mamba24 - you deserve SO MUCH BETTER than that. I'm truly sorry - it's hell going through relationship crises.

But don't forget - WE've always got each other here on the blog! I love you man. Seriously. You're the best. Posted by: justanothermambafan | May 10, 2010 at 02:18 PM
Aw, thanks Justa, but it aint that serious! At the present time I got enough on my plate to not have any time for a serious real world relationship. I was just doing a lil virtual flirting to pass the long time till tonights game. So no more mush from me the rest of the Championship ride. And thanks for your concern JustAnotherMambaFan head of the Mamba Clan.:-)

Mamba24,
Please add me to the Happy Birthday Laker Lass bandwagon.
-------

Mark G and Mamba24,
I love Oscar Brown Jr. Used to play lots of his stuff when I was a jazz DJ on the old WHAT-FM 96.5 Philadelphia, back in the day.
-------

Art FL,
Congrats for RCOTD! Well deserved.

Edwin G.,

"~~Correct if I'm wrong, was this time when they won against Blazers in Portland. or you are referring to their last game against the Blazers?"

That was the game in Feb where we won in Portland for the first time since 2005. Kobe did not play due to a sore ankle and so the Triple Towers started. That game also started a string of victories and folks on the blog started talking (with the help of Pau's remarks) how we were playing much better without KB, if you remember that episode of Laker blog drama series. 8-)

Anyway, I believe that was the one and only time that the Triple Towers started a game. I think there was another instance that the Triple Towers were playing together in the middle part of the game and Stu made remarks on how it was messing up the triangle's spacing and taking away Kobe's high post plays. Again that Triple Towers sighting only lasted less than 5 minutes.

@Mark G. Finally, it's weird, I'm not boasting or anything I just happened to have at one time lived in an area in which several dozen famous people came from. It does not mean I'm anything, I just happen to be in a place at a time in which all these folks happened to also be. Some wouldn't give me the time of day others I worked closely with. but it was what it was.
Mamba24(larry )

RICK FRIEDMAN, my man, another afficianado with good musical taste, I LOVE IT!
HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY LAKERLASS - BANDWAGON
(01) MAMBA24 - OWNER - Happy Birthday Lass my virtual love
(02) ZAIRA - DRIVER
(03) LAKERLADD - RIDING SHOTGUN - SURPRISE
(04)
(05) J24(LADYJEM24) SECURITY -
(06) RICK FRIEDMAN - AFFICIENADO SUPREME - Please add me to the Happy Birthday Laker Lass bandwagon.
(07)

Mamba24

Life is like is just like that I think. Not exactly the same thing, but the whole 6 degrees of separation thing is pretty trippy. It really is a small world.

Mark

"Life is like is just like that I think."

That obviously was poor editing on my part. Mea culpa.

But don't worry brah, If I happen to figure out who you are, I won't tell anyone. Not even Justa. lol. Mark Posted by: Mark G | May 10, 2010 at 02:36 PM
Thanks Bro. But if Justa asked I'd tell. But it's not a name you would recognize unless once again, you were in that particular circle, place and time.
Which is why I don't do facebook or the like and only did twitter for the chats.
Mamba24(larry)

LOS SUNS vs LOS LAKers

Hey MM,

LOS SUNS vs LOS LAKers Posted by: Tom | May 10, 2010 at 02:40 PM
BUTLER IS THAT YOU!

With the Laker payroll and such, is Dr. Buss making money? Like can he basically pay whatever to a degree or is he currently on balance dollar wise? Your thoughts if you will, thanks! Posted by: D(erek)J(eter) | May 10, 2010 at 02:41 PM
Good question DJ

131-92, what do expect a leprechaun to say? He will find faults and seize it. That is the reason why we call them leprechauns, they're mean and unkind.

Posted by: Edwin Gueco | May 10, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Eddie-

Im not mean or unkind. I understand you are a big fan of Fish just like Im a big fan of Rondo. I remember how happy I was when Rondo helped Louisville win the National Championship.

Just want to peek my head in and say HELLO to my blog fam. Thank you Mamba24 for including me on LakerLass' happy belated birthday bandwagon.

Let's close this out tonight Lakers.

See ya'll at the chat later :)

WELCOME TO TWILIGHT ZONE: You're traveling through another dimension -- a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's a signpost up ahead: your next stop: the Twilight Zone!
POSETRS BELOW HAVE just crossed over into... the Twilight Zone.
NAME DROPPERS:
VIRTUAL FLIRTS:
WHERE CONCEIT AND LIES ARE ALL ACCEPTED AS THE NORM:
Ask her if she remembers the cute light skin one with freckles from "Opportunity Knocks" Posted Mamba24(larrY)
Edwin Gueco,
You're making up stuff about Derek Fisher. He didn't play for Arkansas, let alone when they won an NCAA title. He played for Arkansas Little Rock.
Posted by: rudylarusso |

WHERE HATE IS THE NORM:

Jazz fans are classless bunch of morons .. Posted by: LAL_Fan

WHERE PEOPLE ARE NOT WHO THEY ARE:
Mamba24(larry)

WHERE PEOPLE LIVE IN FEAR FROM IGNORANCE:
That is the reason why we call them leprechauns, they're mean and unkind. Posted by: Edwin Gueco

POSETRS BELOW HAVE just crossed over into... the Twilight Zone.
NAME DROPPERS: I hate to be a name dropper but I knew his daughter Maggie. . . ." Posted by: Mamba24 VIRTUAL FLIRTS: I was just doing a lil virtual flirting to pass the long time till tonights game. Posted by: Mamba24 Posted by: Rod Serling | May 10, 2010 at 02:51 PM
ROFLMFAO!!!..TOUCHE'! and...OUT FREAKIN STANDING!!

This year's team seems slower, more methodical and less amazing. But I suggest we're better because Kobe realizes he needs to let the 3 bigs do a majority of scoring. Lsst year Kobe was on a head-trip vendetta to prove he can win w/o Shaq. Anybody disagree?

This year the offense flows better. Sure Fish is a step slower but how cool is it to see Artest drive the lane and dish or post up? How cool is it to see Odom go coast to coast?

Last year we were good but got lucky (no T-Mac, yao, Jameer Nelson, dumb inbounds passes by Denver...). this year if Kobe facilitates the offense, and if you like Red Holtman team ball and great D(like I grew up watching on B&W) then you will enjoy the lakers dismantling anything thrown at them.

I contend this year's team is better, not flashier, but better.

Good question DJ

Posted by: Mamba24 | May 10, 2010 at 02:42 PM

The link below shows Forbes evaluation that the Lakers is now the most valuable NBA franchise (estimated at $607 mil). Jerry Buss bought the franchise for $20 mil in 1979. Revenue for last year was $209 mil. Even if you subtract player salaries and other operating income, he must be crying all the way to the bank:

95-124 :)

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY LAKERLASS - BANDWAGON
(01) ZAIRA - OWNER -
(02) LAKERLADD - DRIVER - SURPRISE
(03) MAMAB24 - RIDING SHOTGUN -Happy Birthday Lass!
(04)
(05) J24(LADYJEM24) SECURITY - Thank you for including me on LakerLass' happy belated birthday bandwagon.
(07)

Eddie-

Are you a big fan of Luke Walton too? Remember how many Titles he won at Ucla? You must have been thrilled when the Lakers drafted him. He was gonna replace Shaq like he replaced Jablunt at UCLA. Posted by: 131-92 | May 10, 2010 at 03:07 PM
STOP IT, STOP IT! NO MAS! NO MAS! ROFLMAO!!
I see you are in fine form 131 sir. Your boy Rondo is beginning to emerge into a shooting star. I give him all the credit in the world. Now huryy up and finish off Princess Jimmy and Orlando, so we get this Finals thing on. Lol!
Mamba24

But if Justa asked I'd tell..
Posted by: Mamba24

DO TELL!

(and MarkG - yeah I caught that - what did I tell you about being a smart azzz?? LOL)

WHAT TIME DOES THE GAME START?????

Posted by: mamba24 | May 10, 2010 at 03:11 PM

BTW becareful what you wish for!

Wow, PHX is on the way to WCF and still no Butler sighting on this blog. What gives?

OT: I know Rondo's outside shooting has improved this year but he still seems pretty tentative. This is kind of surprising given his performance at the HORSE contest at the ASG. I mean, he pretty much went toe to toe with Durant. I think they had to go to sudden death because of time constraints. It makes me think that his shooting issues are just psychological. Look out if he ever gains confidence in his J.

Rick F.- dj at a Jazz station seems like a pretty cool gig.

Justa, oh did you catch that? lol.

See what it got me though, nothing. I can't help it though. I'm like that scorpion that hitches a ride on the frogs back. It's just my nature.

Justa game time is 7:30 our time. Surprisingly enough!

MM

Caught your interview w/ Shawn and Pooh on FSN on Saturday night. Nice postgame analysis and great job representing the blog. Keep up the good work bro!!!

Now about the game. I thought this was one of the most competitively played and entertaining games thus far in the PO. I also think the officials owe the Purple and Gold(DFish inparticular) a huge apology for the ridiculous non-call on that final inbounds play that almost cost them the victory. I mean Stevie Wonder and Jose Feliciano both would have made that call.(LOL)

That said, I have to admit that I was concerned leading into that play with Ron Ron inbounding the ball. He does make errant passes from time to time but, there's no excusing the refs.

I'll try to catch y'all on the LiveChat...lata!!!

Go Lakers...all the way to a repeat!!!

Considering that the Lakers generate $2 mil per game at Staples, don't you get that funny feeling that we just might lose tonight?

Posted by: Mark G | May 10, 2010 at 03:24 PM
Actually it's the snake that hitches the ride on the frog's back and when he bites the Frog and the frog asks the snake why he bit him, the snake says, what did you expect I'm a snake it's my nature. LOL!
Masquerade
So let the Masquerade begin. Where men are women and women are men
It’s really no great trick to see, some have two names some even three
The Person who pretends to be a friend, Flips the name and is an enemy again
So how is one to know what’s what, intuition, luck & trust your gut
Just be careful if you are easily hurt, Don’t be trusting or a cyber flirt
Malicious AI’s, vicious Trolls, All manner of mischief lurks goodness Knows
So what’s the best thing to do, go along with the gag like you believe it too.
Watch for tale tale signs to fall, or speech patterns that are off the wall.
These words of Wisdom I say are true, big brothers not the only 1 playing you.

Not to disagree with you Larry but there is also a Scorpion/Frog version.

I forgot to say that the difference to me between this year's team and last year's is the unpredictable nature of this year's squad(due in large part to injuries), which I think made them so hard to get a read on.

What up Mamba? Now if the "other 3" would step their game up. I knew we could win one in Cleveland but I wasnt sure we would win all 3 at home. Blowing game 1 might come back to haunt us. BTW becareful what you wish for! Posted by: 131-92 | May 10, 2010 at 03:18 PM
If the other 3 would step up their game this Freakin series would be over now and you'd be getting ready for Orlando! Yes 131, it just might come back to haunt the lakers but...Champions are defined by their competition. If you want to be a great Champion you need great competition. What greater competition than a Finals between the holders of half of the Rings ever given out...AWESOME! So the Lakers will finish off the Jazz tonight and the Suns in 4 and hope we don't have to wait to long for you to catch up to us. Good Luck 131. Tell Rondo he's a helluva player!
Mamba24

Not to disagree with you Larry but there is also a Scorpion/Frog version.
Posted by: Mark G | May 10, 2010 at 03:40 PM
You're right bro but I was just quoting the version Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall used. My bad. Thanks
Mamba24

Are they *really* going to play the Orlando-Atlanta game 4? Why?

Are they *really* going to play the Orlando-Atlanta game 4? Why?

Posted by: Rick Friedman | May 10, 2010 at 03:56 PM

That is a great question.

Larry, Justice Marshall was the man!

>>>With the Laker payroll and such, is Dr. Buss making money? Like can he
>>>basically pay whatever to a degree or is he currently on balance dollar wise?
>>>Your thoughts if you will, thanks!

Don't know exactly, but from my ballpark figures last summer (when they were negotiating with Lamar and some people here were saying Buss should just pay him 10 million a year), the Lakers have to make it to the finals to be profitable for the season.

In fact, longer series would help their bottom line, as that's about 1.5 million more in income per game at Staples.

If the Lakers swept the rest of the way through, they could wind up winning a championship, but losing money for the season.

Rick - LOL - yeah... why is a good question! It's the NBA vs the D-league over there. Oh well - makes you wonder just how good (not to mention TESTED) the Magic will be when it really matters.

Snake,

>>>Revenue for last year was $209 mil. Even if you subtract player salaries and
>>>other operating income, he must be crying all the way to the bank:

Revenue isn't the relevant number here. It's Operating Income.

Last season, the Lakers had an Operating Income of 51.1 million. At that time, they were just a little over the luxury tax. This year, they're at 91 million, which is more than 20 million over the luxury tax. Double that 20 million (to account for salary + luxury tax) and subtract it from that 51.1 million and you get a mere 10.1 million.

So roughly, if the Lakers play the same number of playoff games as last year, and if all other incomes and expenditures are about the same, Buss will make 10 million for the season (meaning he'll earn less than Kobe, Pau, or Bynum).

If the Lakers play about 7 less home playoff games, the team would lose money.

Given that the Game starts at 7:30, will people in Utah be able to stay awake through the first half?

Seriously, the Hawks should have to remove the Logo from their Unis. What an embarrassment.

95-124,

>>>Are you a big fan of Luke Walton too? Remember how many Titles he won at
>>>Ucla? You must have been thrilled when the Lakers drafted him. He was
>>>gonna replace Shaq like he replaced Jablunt at UCLA.

Nice display of your ignorance 95-124. Luke didn't play for UCLA. He played for Arizona.

Or perhaps you were referring to BILL WALTON. Who was drafted by Portland, not the Lakers.

Thanks for displaying your complete ignorance of the history of basketball, both college and pro.

By the way, there's still a typo in your username... it should be 95-124

>>>Considering that the Lakers generate $2 mil per game at Staples

The number I heard was 1.5 million, but yeah, I agree with you. Jerry Buss might not mind too much if the Lakers didn't sweep.

I don't think this team has reached its potential yet, but I believe it has a higher potential than last year's team.

Last year's team played its best ball in the Finals. If we do the same, we'll be just fine.

Mark G, Rick F, thanks for the nod, enjoy your posts.

This years team vs last years team,
I'd pick the Lakers in 7.

Is 2 mill enough to take this back to LA for #5.
I dunno, really hard to believe they would do that.
The players won't be in on that scheme, but maybe that's a way for PJ to keep more of that big salary next year!
Watch PJ's substitutions for a hint.
Ok, putting the tin foil hat away now.

LongTimeLakersFan,

"Jerry ain't exactly rolling in dough for the season, but assuming the Lakers make it to the finals, he will have a profitable year - he'll make less than his 2 or 3 highest paid players, but he'll make a profit."

Interesting.

Do you have any estimates as to how much a Championship will affect the overall estimated value of the Lakers franchise itself?

Do your estimates include merchandising?

LongTimeLakerFan

Psst, you're mixing up 131-92, with 95-124. They are two totally different posters. 131-92 is a Celtic Troll. The other guy, 95-124, is a Laker fan, seems extremely witty, strikes as an all-around excellent human being. 131-92 is the guy that Roasted you and Edwin. Just saying.

LTLF,

You are correct. I should have read through the footnotes of the Forbes article.

One intersting financial stat is that the Lakers org seem to be the only franchise where the gate receipts exceed the players salaries.

"If the Lakers play about 7 less home playoff games, the team would lose money."

That's why I have this funny feeling that we just might be headed for a Game 5 at Staples. $2M for a game at Staples might just be too hard to resist.

Buss might make ONLY 10 mill in profit this year if they win it all.
LOL.

Art-FL, you ought to see me Stretch 10 Mil!

These videos have me concerned.

The Lakers are a bit too relaxed, too jovial.

We haven't beat Utah yet, but people are talking like we have.

The Suns are very good.

Whoever is going to come out of the East will be very good.

We need to buckle down.

Conspiracy theorists:
The Laker players don't care how much Buss makes with an extra playoff game at home. They want to have 6 days rest. If they don't win tonight it has to do with how they perform on the court not on the money Buss will make.
Kobe's going to bring it tonight. Get your brooms ready.

myopiclongtimelakerfan-

LOL ... How many times do I have to tell you that its better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and be know as a fool? Please keep this in mind before you click that post button.

Let me help you out and repost why I posted what I did ...

I have been a fan of Fisher since he was drafted as a Laker in 1995 with Kobe. he a great pg of Razorbacks who contribute to their only NCAA Championship season. I also felt, it was not a good move in 2004 for not re-signing Fisher and Payton and opted with this unknown Tierre Brown and later on Smush Parker, thereby wasting the prime time years of Kobe.

Posted by: Edwin Gueco | May 10, 2010 at 08:41 AM

Now please take my advice and pause before you click the post button and make sure you really want to correct me next time.

But thanks for helping me out ... I really didnt know the difference between the two Waltons. I was amazed how young Luke looked considering he was in college 30 yrs ago but now you really clearified things for me and it makes sense.

Mamba24 - I'm hoping part of your "masquerade" poem was not aimed at me. If so - I apologize again. Please forgive me. Any and all hurt was completely unintentional. Posted by: justanothermambafan | May 10, 2010 at 04:06 PM
Naw, It's just that ever since the suppose McAfee Antivirus kit I was using turned out to itself contain a virus that did damage to thousands of computers not to mention 2 0f mine a laptop & desktop, I'm just warning folks beware what they click on cause what you think you're getting is not always that. I switched over to Norton directly after that, it's a smaller package, it's faster, cheaper, does not hog memory and has more features. You Justa, I trust with my life.
Mamba24

I thought it would be nice to stop and comment on the actual article by FCM at the top of this thread, since nobody else who posted a comment bothered. (why do i feel i have to ps that with a ': )' ? nobody did.

anyhoo, FCM, i was a bit confused as to your initial statement that you felt the Lakers are better this year than last, followed by a raft of statistics that all seemed to be in favor of last years team.

However, i am also in agreement with the statement, as i feel that the statistics cited not only fail to take into account the rather obvious fact that the two teams cannot play each other, (and i also would look forward to the ron ron- ron ron smack twitters, but not as much as Kobe '09 guarding Kobe '10 and vice versa) but also a fact that i don't think you mentioned; the quality of the opposition. Here's a question; which are better, the other 29 teams in '10 or the other 29 teams in 2010? that to me is the real question.

>>>Do you have any estimates as to how much a Championship will affect the
>>>overall estimated value of the Lakers franchise itself?

Nope. But the Lakers franchise pretty much has an expectation of a championship every year, so I'd consider that number rolled in.

>>>Do your estimates include merchandising?

I'd assume so, but I don't know it for a fact. My numbers are from the numbers published on Forbes. So I don't know every detail of what they included and didn't include. But they claimed that last year the Lakers had an operating income (basically, a net profit) of $51 million dollars. So I was working from that number and just considering how much more in player salaries the Lakers were paying out.

The reason I did the calculation last summer is that people were getting down on Jerry Buss about why wouldn't he just pay Lamar 10 million. I wanted to estimate the salary level at which the team would be losing money. And that figure was about $96 million in player salaries. And that assumes they played as far into the post season and got those revenues as well.

Now you see why Buss isn't just jumping to do any wild signing or trade he can to shore up the team - If you add 10 million more in salary and the Lakers lose in the first round, Buss could stand to LOSE 20 million.

Mark G,

No, I'm just calling 131 whatever by his proper name. He can't hide from me, even if there is another poster with that name on the blog.

>>>Buss might make ONLY 10 mill in profit this year if they win it all.
>>>LOL.

You laugh because the numbers are ludicrous to us (at least I'm assuming you're like me and not a billionaire).

But consider this: when Buss was approving doing all those big contracts for Lamar and Drew and Pau and Kobe, he's gambling that they won't pull a post-season like Dallas or Denver and tank early.

If the Lakers were to lose in the first round, Buss would LOSE millions.

That's a lot more at risk than in one of his poker tournaments.

"But thanks for helping me out ... I really didnt know the difference between the two Waltons."

Posted by: 131-92 | May 10, 2010 at 04:36 PM

Bill Walton is a Celtic HOF'er. Shame on you, 131.

Ive forgotten more about sports than youll ever know. I knew some idiot would come to Eddie's rescue and sure enough it had to be the biggest idiot of them all! LMAO Posted by: 131-92 | May 10, 2010 at 04:36 PM
Aw 131, treating one of the deans of the Blog like that is terrible. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Posted by: Mark G

Nothing like a little self-promotion Mark G - LOL!!

longtimeidiotlakerfan-

Im not hiding from you. What are you gonna tell me next? That Im ignorant because Rondo didnt play for Louisville? LMAO!!!

see, this is what happens when you talk to trolls. 'hey, i don't know who any players played for, or what schools they went to, or who any of the players are for that matter, but I know way more basketball than you!'

sure.

Posted by: Mamba24 | May 10, 2010 at 04:46 PM

Sorry mamba ... I am a bit ashamed. Its not his fault. Ill try and play nice from now on.

Justa,

I have NO idea what you are talking about.

VoteMarkG.com

131-92,

Just came back at this time, I already read my name several time that I'm the biggest idiot of the day for not knowing where Fisher's alma mater. I think the sharp leprechaun was trying to trap our friends in the blog with Luke's reference. Somebody pointed it out, why is he now referred as a idiot?

Secondly, to all who loved to correct on posts 'minutiae', what's is the importance of such correction to the grand scheme of things or in this playoffs? I made a mistake in reference of Fisher's school in Arkansas, will that mistake affect his game on the Sweep tonight?

The same is true with the smart leppy 131 blogger who is afraid to give a decent name, instead he intentionally gives a 'mean name' to refer the 2008 Finals debacle...is it not understood who he was referring to when he mentioned the family name Walton? Will Luke's game improve if he finished in UCLA?

Once you take the leprechaun's gambit, you become a meaner individual because leprechauns always win in any arguments. See what he posted referring to my rescuer as an idiot! Do you expect any relief or good things that would happen in dealing with a leprechaun?

Eddie-

Let the record reflect that I did not call you an Idiot. I was having some fun with your "Fisher played for the Razorbacks" post.

If you noticed, it was ltilf, who felt the need to make a fool out himself and called me ignorant.

Edwin Gueco,

is the leprechaun's gambit anything like the fool's mate?

To everybody else,

The Atlanta beat down continues. *sigh*

For L:akerLass and anyone that remembers Sheriff John:

Put another candle on the birthday cake
We're gonna bake
A Birthday cake
Put another candle on the birthday cake
You're another year old todayyyyy

JR

I don't know who really sets the record here, everybody knows what your intentions are, in posting in the Lakers Blog. I will always refer you as a leprechaun for as long as you keep hiding on that score. The thing I don't understand is that you are a Celtic fan and we are Laker fans, why can't you debate or discuss things civil. You are no longer a juvenile to deal with minutiae and engaged in stupid discussions but you still chose that avenue for self-glorification in a Lakers forum. lol If ball players like Larry Bird and Magic Johnson can be friends and jointly write a book I'm just perplexed why a matured Celtic fan and Laker fans can come out in the open and discuss the merits and demerits of their team? Sonnybelfast is a Kings fan yet he learned how to talk to Laker fans in a frank and cordial manner. In your case, it is the chicken or the egg theory? When will this mockery end?

G in DC - Thanks a lot for the love. I had a great time on the show and I appreciated that you like the insight. I hope to do more radio interviews in the future not just to promote the blog, but so people realize what kind of great community you guys have established

MM

Jon K - I'm intrigued by the idea that you're concerned with how Phil, Lamar and Derek answered the questions in the video. I took it more as in the middle of the postseason, they're not really in the mood to self reflect and compare. They know that winning a championship is the only answer to say whether they're even equal to last year's team. I think that would be an interesting question to pose to them if they do win the title, who would win in a head to head matchup.

MM

Eddie-

Again ... I did not call you an idiot. Did I call LTILF an idiot first or did he call me ignorant first?

I engage cordially with mamba because he is cordial with me. If the village idiot LTILF calls me ignorant then I will respond accordingly. Do you think calling someone ignorant is being cordial? Especially when the the village idiot is the one making a fool out of himself?

Of course I know who Bill Walton is. He played for us in '86, the year the Lakers "ducked" us and took the easy road out and lost to Houston. If not we would steam rolled their a$$e$ and we would be 10-2 head to head in the Finals. Im still pissed at that!!!!

At the end of the day I dont care if Laker fan likes me or not.

Did I call LTILF an idiot first or did he call me ignorant first? - 131

As I said talking to you is like going on a vicious cycle, don't know where to start or end just keep on trading insults. Maybe you did not call me idiot but trying to make fun is also playing the "I" card. Well, you know how this blog reacts on small mistakes, I think if somebody calls you an ignorant, they were referring you on what you posted. You are cordial with Mamba because he's funny with his remarks in praising your smart-alec approach. During the 2008 playoffs, I blogged on the Boston blog and got a decent response over there. Of course, the kid will always be kids, but generally, the matured fans accepted my post when we won 2 games here in LA.

Edwin and 131 ... you too sounds like 4 year olds quarelling over who's Dad is better... senseless argument... STOP it already!!!

We are here to discuss as basketball fans... for that matter as Lakers' fan...

>>>But thanks for helping me out ... I really didnt know the difference between
>>>the two Waltons.

Yeah, I knew that. Because you're clueless enough to be a Celtic's fan.

>>>Did I call LTILF an idiot first or did he call me ignorant first? - 131

Neither of us lied, so what's the problem?