Lakers/NBA items: Funsie and not as funsie
October 30, 2009 | 10:09 am
Funsie Stuff (like our new Twitter handle, latimesKBros, and Part I and Part II of our 710 ESPN PodKast)
- Ball Don't Lie has some sweet pics of/details about the Lakers' 2009 championship rings. I actually watched Sasha Vujacic's bling revolve in the box, and while kinda over the top, it was pretty cool. And like Skeets, 10 K strikes me as very low for a starting point estimation. I realize Brez qualified this sum with "at least," but as someone not too far removed from engagement ring shopping/pricing expeditions, I can't picture plunking down less than 20 G's for that many diamonds. Plus, all the little details.
Oddly enough, before Wednesday meeting over at LA Live across the street from Staples Center, I randomly bumped into Andrew Bynum walking through the plaza with a couple of friends. And yes, kid was wearing his ring. Drew let me take a close gander at the facial inscription and I must say, my compliments to the artist. Very nicely done. Because I ran into AB on foot, however, I didn't get to see if he rolled up in his new Bumblebee. (That ride, by the way, is a fairly good indicator that the "extension money" era has officially kicked off.)
- And speaking of rings, you may have heard Lamar Odom and Khloe Kardashian exchanged a pair. Well, they also got some commemorative ink as well. You can get the backstory from "KO" herself. Thanks to True Hoop for the Heads up.
- When Jordan Farmar made his second appearance on NUMB3RS, I tried to cajole a diss on his one-time co-star Pau Gasol's thespian skeels. Jordy didn't bite, and El Spaniard apparently wasn't malo. He'll be making an upcoming appearance on CSI: Miami. Unlike Farmar, his second time on the boob tube will not be playing himself. Dude is STUH-RETCHING his craft.
- Nuggets VP Mark Warkentein has a pretty cool idea to prevent tanking among the bottom feeders.
- The Cavs are stumbling out of the gate (which is funsie if you're a Lakers fan).
- Chuck Hayes didn't know he's a Rockets captain.
- The Bench Mob realizes it's just a one game sample. But that one game sample kinda, well, sucked.
- Tony Gaffney had a contract with the Israeli roundball team stating that were he cut by the Lakers, he'd hoop for them dudes. Thus, he's overseas.
- CelticsBlog laments the sad state of Antoine Walker's economic affairs.
- I can't imagine the Clips are thrilled with these Chris Kaman vids making the rounds. Guns give franchises the willies. They're probably not even wild about fireworks. (Tip of the hat to BDL)
- Ex-Laker Javaris Crittenton will miss a month or so after exploratory surgery on his left foot.
Lakers consultant Tex Winter receives his championship ring during the 3rd quarter at the Staples Center Tuesday. (Wally SKalij/Los Angeles Times)