Lakers Now

Round-the-Clock Purple and Gold

« Previous Post | Lakers Now Home | Next Post »

I'd love to see those pics Kevin Garnett has of David Stern

Because blackmail of sorts is the only reason I can offer as to why KG is able to pull off- among other stuff- taunting Raptor point guard Jose Calderon during last nights Raps-Celts game and not get T'ed up?  Seriously, take a gander at this. 

Are you kidding me? I honestly hate playing the "If This Were Player X, He'd Have Been Penalized" card, because it's often whiny and lame.  But seriously, were that Rasheed Wallace, forget about a technical foul.  A league official would have flown to Boston, rushed the court and made a citizen's arrest.  Any other player would have gotten a T, and considering the incidents the NBA often appears obsessed with preventing, that makes sense.  So are you telling me that doing the Deke finger wag from baseline to halfcourt doesn't carry a same "instigating" danger as two dudes nose to nose?  Ronny Turiaf gets ejected from last season's Jazz-Lakers Game 4 after a hard but obviously intent-free foul on Ronnie Price (who didn't seem to take offense), but this doesn't raise a ref's eyebrows?  Really?

And before anyone thinks otherwise, this ain't "2008 Finals sour grapes."  I'm a BIG Garnett fan.  He's been one of my favorites since entering the league and is one of the few guys I could honestly not begrudge winning a ring at the Lakers' expense.  Doesn't mean I was "happy" about the results, but still, no grudge.  Having said that, what you just watched was straight up nonsense, the type that KG, for some reason, is always able to get away with. 

By the way, remember a few seasons ago when Uncle Dave made the "no emotional reactions without a T" decree?  I recall one game soon afterward where Smush Parker literally got T'ed for glaring at the ref after a whistle.  William Henry didn't even open his mouth.  He just sulked, which is basically the same as Smush breathing.  Mind you, I'm not claiming that Smush and KG deserve the same degree of respect.  I'm not even saying Smush is on the level of Michael J. Fox's "Teen Wolf" character (and that's with or without the fur).  But by pure virtue of being in the league, he should be able to look at a ref sideways without getting punished. Thankfully, Garnett's presence makes that inane rule impossible to keep firmly intact.   If Stern still ever wonders why fans- despite their enthusiasm- often consider the NBA to be the most arbitrarily run league in sports, the clip above might shed a little light.

Thanks to the great Ball Don't Lie blog for posting this and reminding me that I saw it earlier on SportsCenter and thought, "What the %#$!"

AK

 
Comments () | Archives (39)

The comments to this entry are closed.

That is seriously whack.

Isn't this the type of thing the league office can fine KG for, even after the fact?

The punkishness of the Celtics is what leads me to predict that the Celtics are going to do some dirty dirty things on Christmas once they realize they are going to lose to the Lakers in Boston.

I would be on the lookout, because the Celtics will realize their normal intimidation tactics won't work against the superior Lakers, and the Celtics will resort to cheap stuff, knocking guys down and such. The Lakers are going to have to keep cool heads and retaliate on the scoreboard.

We Can't make comparisons during the late 80's and early 90's style of play. Because back then the physicality was allowed.

Nowadays, because of AK's aforementioned Dike Wagging being a Taunting rule, this hold's water just like turn the other cheek while the crowd is watching.

Remember this? http://tinyurl.com/5jl4kf

Is it a missed no call? Sure.
Is it Celtic Green favoritism? I doubt.
But is it pro KG? Looks like it to me.

I say bring it back to the harder style of play. Otherwise, the misjudgment of this play is like "Escape from New York" ruling.

Outro

AK,

Come on. KG practically threw a ref to the ground for trying to calm him down during the Atlanta series and he got NOTHING.

You think a little finger wagging is going to get him a foul now?

The guy would practically need to punch out a referee who was stepping up to shake his hand to get a "T".

For some reason David Stern has put an "invulnerability clause" on KG's relationship with the refs.

That's the only thing that makes sense.

Lakers Today... Lakers Tomorrow... Lakers Forever.

GO LAKERS!

i agree. astonishinig example of double/triple standards that the nba likes to show.

thank you for that AK.

If this was Kobe, it'd be beyond that "unnatural basketball play" suspension. Seriously.

Jon K,

Like I said, I don't get it.

AK

That's not even mentioning the moving picks KG sets regularly.

We need to whoop these Celtics. No other way about it. These guys think way too much of themselves. Time to knock off a few inches off the top.

Wes

Are we playing in Boston on Christmas? Bogus.

Wes

KG is a thug! Lakers, beat Boston!!!!

Go Lakers!

you're crazy if you think the league will do anything about it.

That is EXACTLY what they WANT KG to do to market the Celtics. How many times do you hear the words 'fierce' 'fiery' 'passionate' 'aggressive' etc. when describing KG?

They WANT people to see this and think that players CARE about the game and not just be a cool professional about it.

WHAT THE HAY??????????????

HOW THE HECK IS THAT NOT A T??????????

Un-fricken-believable.

We all KNOW - if that was Kobe - he'd be suspended.
(Not that he'd do anything that classless.)

Who do we write to? This is unacceptable.

I forgot to add:

I HATE BOSTON. HATE THEM WITH A BURNING PASSION. THEY NEED TO DIE. WE MUST CRUSH THEM LIKE THE NO-CLASS COCKROACHES THEY ARE.

No surprise. Garnett is always doing crap like that and yet he's the league's golden boy. Type in "Kevin Garnett taunt" into google and you can see he's taunted Zaza Pachulia, Richard Jefferson, Matt Bonner, Marcus Camby, Pau Gasol, James Posey (as a Nugget), and now Jose Calderon. $10 says you'll never see him fire up Kobe or LeBron with some taunting. Just second tier guys.

I did a whole diatribe about this in the previous topic. Maybe KG was simply acting like an idiot - OR - maybe he was doing it on purpose to get in Calderon's head. The Raptors had control of that game and lost and that's what matters. The rest is irrelavent.

AK..Last season Perkins got a tech for looking down at Bynum after dunk....Maybe the league has 2 sets of rules

lakers_sth

Sorry man - must disagree with you. The rest is NOT irrelevant. It sends a message that the ref's are anything BUT unbiased. Not good for the league or the fans who pay good money to watch a good game.

Had Sam Mitchell been Isiah Thomas, he'd have sent one of his players in to smack KG on the face.

Hey Pau, stand up for your fellow countryman come Christmas. a dunk on KG's face would be nice and sweet.

GO LAKERS!!!

Lakers STH,

I hear what you're saying and lest anyone misunderstand me, it's not that I'm gunning for KG to get T'ed because I was offended on some level. He was acting a little stupid, but fine, whatever. I just want this stuff uniformly enforced. And I'm just constantly amazed with what KG seems to get away with.

AK

Does anyone know Bynum's wingspan. I've just read that it's 7'4", 7'5" and 7'7". That's a lot of different wingspans.

Reminds one of the yoga fighter with the expandable arms from Master of the Flying Guillotine. No?

See for yourselves:

http://tinyurl.com/ytzhgh

Wes

KG's antics are tantamount to the age-old trick in professional wrestling during tag-team matches where the "evil" guys do something that makes the "good" guys jump in the ring only to be stopped by the refs. Or, he's that guy in your office that you hate b/c he's a jerk and you can't, for the life of you, understand why good things are always happening for him in the company. It's all by design.

Reacting to KG's antics is what he wants to have happen. He needs to be the biggest force causing change in what's around him. The more people get outraged and cry hypocrisy or double standards (whichever pertains) the more he's achieving his goals. I believe he did it to get Calderon's focus off the game and onto him. And, you know what? It worked. Celtics won.

Hobbit,

Again, Paxson was the starter for the Bulls in PJ's 1st year, 2nd year, and 3rd year (he didn't start when Doug Collins was the coach of the Bulls). BJ Armstrong had to become a spot up shooter in the 3rd Bulls championship. Paxson retired in 93-94 and Armstrong solidified his starting spot? Why? Jordan had retired (the 1st time) and guess who replaced his SG spot? Pete Myers from the CBA. Pippen had replaced his role from a point forward to the 1st option and guess who replaced his point guard duties? BJ Armstrong and that year earned his only All Star selection. After Jordan comes back guess what they let him go in the expansion draft and replace him with Ron Harper.

Please read some history in detail first.

"I disagree. Emphatically!" (the Lamar thing)

Seems more of your Lamar Haterade thing (Yeah I know what you said). It's ok. You must be out of your mind if Lamar is better at the PF than Pau is. Lamar was the starting candidate in the SF at the beginning of training camp. PJ put Pau at Center and gave the chance for Trevor to start. Trevor struggled the offense went down and he put Drew back at Center and shifted Pau to PF. To open the floor PJ put Radman in the SF sending Lamar to the bench. Understand or will you just keep up your hatred of Lamar Odom?

"If you have been reading the articles about the Lakers
you'll find out that Phil likes Trevor's shooting"

He said "His jumpshot is not to the point where it will spread the floor. His jumpshot though is enough to keep opponent's honest" As in defenders won't sag off him if he is in the corner at the same time though they won't closely guard him enough to open up passing lanes. Read the article FIRST!

"The problem has been that Trevor is in the middle of changing his game and jump shooting is not an instinctive part of his game yet."

No the fact is that Trevor is simply not the jump shooter that Radman is. His main strength is slashing to the basket. His jump shot has improved but not to Radman's level. I wonder if you just like Trevor so much that you simply make excuses for him.

"To *me*, someone's game involves all the
aspects and not just what they're known for. To use
Kobe, as an example, he is constantly trying to grow the
things that he does. The triangle offense needs jump/
catch and shoot players. Trevor is growing his
abilities in this area, unlike Lamar. Therefore, when
Trevor is better with spot up shooting, along with his
defense, etc. he should be the starting SF because he's
better than Luke. *ALL* of the Lakers should be able to
adapt what they do when necessary."

It seems to you and your opinion so I cannot say it's wrong. Having said that again you are saying Trevor is a spot up shooter now. Sure he is done a good job at shooting but do you realistically expect his 3 point shooting to be 60% for the season? Or you simply going to make excuses for him? Granted I also did the same thing for Lamar but I do hold things against him like he shoots 3 pointers when he shouldn't or he throws bad passes. Why don't you just admit that Trevor is simply a good *role* player and not the starter that you *want* him to be? Or will you over rate him and say he is good enough to start over Radman?

Besides I don't have any problem with him starting in the future unlike you. Just now he should fulfill his specific role which is he doing a fantastic job. I really dunno why that equates to being a starter.

"Derek is a great pg for the Lakers. ( like I said )"

That is one thing I had to agree with. Only because PJ is the coach and Kobe needs him to be a spot up shooter. Had it been a different coach and a different type of SG (Sasha) then Jordan would have started.

"You're comment about the "right" type of
players seems .... circular. Rondo was there before KG
and Pierce was."

Rondo was drafted in 2006 but again who was the starting point guard at the time? Delonte West. When the Celtics traded for Ray Allen they traded away West and opened up a starting spot for Rondo. Now you got a penetrating point guard and have a great shooter in Ray Allen. You don't think Danny Ainge saw that when he traded for Ray Ray?

"To say that David Robinson was mainly for defense is
pure crap! He's considered to be one of the 50 best
basketball players of all time"

Again you simply did not do your history and so much I don't know why I bother to argue with you. Robinson completely changed his role when Duncan was drafted. He was no longer the 1st option. When the Spurs won their 1st championship, Robinson's scoring averaged dipped from 21.6ppg (Duncan's first year) to 15.8ppg (Duncan's 2nd year). Sure he was still the second option on the team until TP and Manu but his role was mainly post defense And his last season he was mainly for defense because they team had TP and drafted Manu and didn't need much his scoring and he focused more on defense and did a good job guarding Shaq for 25 minutes during the 2nd championship and allowed Duncan to work more on offense (he had Horry guarding him!)

Robinson was also defensive player of the year! Or did you leave that out in his accomplishments simply to reinforce your point?

Hobbit, please I don't want to argue but when you keep to argue points that I find a bit easy to counter, it gets tiresome.

-blitz

LOL!

Did folks see the Raptors' assistant coach laughing and loving KG's toying with Calderon?!

Did anyone see KG guarding Calderon like KG was a point guard?! THAT was cool ;)

At any rate. the game was IN BOSTON GARDEN for chripes sakes. OF COURSE KG is going to get some leeway. What's wrong with that - and don't even try and say Bryany doesn't get any favorable calls at home in LA...

Geepers creepers, Lakerfans. Talk about whining like little girls. KG WAS HAVING FUN. REMEMBER, IT'S A GAME!

Remember last year when KG pushed that Ref and didn't even get a reprimad? Same thing. Even Kobe doesn't have that kind of pull. The guy is teflon.

Complain to the league office; hand-written letters carry much more weight than an email. That will get their attention - they are very sensitive to keeping fans happy.

Even Michael Jordan in his prime (during the 2nd 3-peat)
got T'ed up for doing Deke finger wag AT the United Center!!!!

Kobeblitz,

Are you reading the wrong post, dude? Haha.

This is ridiculous, as far as laying down a so-called "uniform" set of rules and punishment. You're telling me that Dikembe Mutombo can only do that to the crowd, and KG is fine with getting away with it here to a player that is a foot smaller?

What a putz, that KG. Like someone else said, have some balls and get up in the face of someone like LeBron or Kobe.

To Calderon's credit, I love that he talked smack right back in KG's face, seemingly getting under his skin. Too bad the Raptors totally blew that game in the end.

What a joke. Just another reason to hate the celtics, as if i needed one.

Stern wants KG well enough under the Tech limit to ensure his Lakers/Celtics rematch in June 2009!

blitz,

you're logic is ... hmm ...

let's try this a slight different way.

you wrote: Robinson completely changed his role when Duncan was drafted. He was no longer the 1st option. When the Spurs won their 1st championship, Robinson's scoring averaged dipped from 21.6ppg (Duncan's first year) to 15.8ppg (Duncan's 2nd year).

This was in response to my comment about your
comment that Robinson was
only there for defense. Gasol is averaging less than
15 ppg. in 08. So, since Gasol is getting less points that
should mean that he's even more defensively minded
than Robinson? a difference of 6 points is roughly 2.5
shots, allowing for free throws. You're telling me that
shooting the ball 2.5 less times over a 48 minute game
is being there "mostly for defense" ? Especially when
you compare his numbers to Bruce Bown or Ben
Wallace. These are two players who are on the court
"mostly for defense" and they don't score 10 pts let alone
15.

I'm not saying that Robinson didn't change his game. I'm
saying your "mostly for defense" is wrong by any
rational standard.

you misquoted me by saying: Having said that again you are saying Trevor is a spot up shooter now.

No. I'm saying Trevor can shoot. Just like I'm saying that
Vlad can play defense. *I* am not pigeon holing players.
Especially when they are working on expanding their
skill sets. I am telling you what they can and can't do
very well based upon what I see.

you obviously aren't reading my posts carefully because
you're in such a rush to prove me wrong.

you wrote: Besides I don't have any problem with him starting in the future unlike you.

my response: Pay attention. I haven't said that he should
start now. As a matter of fact, I *clearly* stated that I
had no problems with the current rotation. I have
stated that he's a better SF than Lamar and that I
predicted that he'd better than Lamar at SF this year.
I *specifically* did not say that he was a better SF than
Vlad. I *specifically* did not say that he was a better
shooter than Vlad. I did say that he's shooting well
enough to space the floor.

you wrote: Why don't you just admit that Trevor is simply a good *role* player and not the starter that you *want* him to be? Or will you over rate him and say he is good enough to start over Radman?

my response: I don't say the things you ask about
because you've added a different emphasis to the
things I've said and interpreted them ways I did not
mean.

Your first question implies that there is a difference
b/n being a starter vs. being a role player. I think that is a
bad distinction. I see Vlad as being a role player
and he starts. However, we're going about this
backwards. Please define role player? Is it someone
not named Kobe or Michael? Was Kobe a role player
when he won championships with Shaq? Was D-Wade
a role player when he played with Shaq or was Shaq
the role player or were neither of them role players?
Is role player limited only to the triangle offense?

you wrote this: You must be out of your mind if Lamar is better at the PF than Pau is.

Umm ... I'm not sure where you got this. It seems to me
that I have been consistently saying that Lamar was the
2nd best PF on the team to Pau. The desire to not have
lamar in the starting 5 was specifically to have him stay
at the PF where he's done his best work. Maybe your
just fussing at me because it's me?

you wrote: Again, Paxson was the starter for the Bulls in PJ's 1st year, 2nd year, and 3rd year (he didn't start when Doug Collins was the coach of the Bulls). BJ Armstrong had to become a spot up shooter in the 3rd Bulls championship. Paxson retired in 93-94 and Armstrong solidified his starting spot? Why? Jordan had retired (the 1st time) and guess who replaced his SG spot?

my response: sigh. *You* wrote that Paxon was the
starter and BJ Armstrong was a better guard. I was
responding by showing that there is no conclusive
evidence to show that Armstrong was better at the
time when Paxson started.

To be clear, you wrote: During the 1st Bulls Three peat the Bulls started John Paxson instead of BJ Armstrong even though Armstrong was better than Paxson (BJ did get an all star selection in 94). Why? Because Paxson was the better fit for the triangle offense at the PG slot than Armstrong was even Armstrong was better at being PG.

During the 1st Bulls threepeat, Paxson was better or
equal, from a statistical standpoint, to BJ Armstrong
for 2 of the 3 years. After the 3rd year he retired.
Your statement about Paxon being a worse PG than
Armstrong is not supportable for 2 of 3 years. Your
last sentence is a blanket sentence and therefore it
is wrong, incorrect, factually & logically untrue
according to the rules of the discipline called logic.

re: Robinson's DPY. Thanks for bringing that up. Does
his DPY change that he was averaging over 15 pts a
game? If I look at defensive types Bowen & Wallace
I can clearly see: "mostly there for defense". Someone
who scores 15 pts a game actually has to be
defended don't they? That would mean that they are
not there "mostly for defense" when compared to
Wallace or Rodman in his later years, wouldn't it?

re: making excuses for Trevor. I don't think you can
find many examples of me making excuses for anyone.
If Trevor's numbers go down they go down. You can
bet money I'll be looking at them.

re: the article. Actually, I did read the article. I've quoted
it to you on several occasions. I'm sorry that my
paraphrasing of what Phil said caused you to have a
brain hemmorage.

re: countering my points. Maybe you wouldn't find it so
easy if you actually bothered to read what I was saying
instead of putting words in my mouth. For example: I
have not consistently argued that Trevor is as good as
shooter as Vlad. I don't believe that I've *ever* argued
that Trevor was as good of a shooter as Vlad. I have
argued that Trevor would/has worked on his jumper and
it's serviceable right now. If these two things are true,
and they are, it is illogical for you to keep mentioning that
I think Trevor is as good a shooter as Vlad and then
tear down that argument.

KG has always been that way - what about all the sucker punches he pulled against his own team mates? And Celtics back to back, how illogical the whole "home-court-it's-just-a-game-thing" is. It's about consistancy and fairness, not about a Celtics/Lakers thing. If the league expects everyone to follow a set standard, then he should have been at least T'd up. Raptors should complain like they were Mark Cuban. No two ways about it.

If I was Jose I would have thrown the ball in his face. I'm sure he would have recovered the ball.

And he can claim he lost the handle.

People shouldn't take crap like this.

"


LOL!

Did folks see the Raptors' assistant coach laughing and loving KG's toying with Calderon?!

Did anyone see KG guarding Calderon like KG was a point guard?! THAT was cool ;)

At any rate. the game was IN BOSTON GARDEN for chripes sakes. OF COURSE KG is going to get some leeway. What's wrong with that - and don't even try and say Bryany doesn't get any favorable calls at home in LA...

Geepers creepers, Lakerfans. Talk about whining like little girls. KG WAS HAVING FUN. REMEMBER, IT'S A GAME!

Posted by: CelticsBacktoBack"

KObe may get calls every now and then. But he has never done that sort of BS that KG was doing to Calderon.
First of all, it was intimidation according to league rules.
second it was unsportsmanlike conduct.

A stupid move is a stupid move.

Yeah...kinda like how Odom *tackled* Ray Allen last December but Ray-Ray got the technical... those refs suck....

You guys are hilarious!!! You'd trade anyone on your team right now not named Kobe Bryant for KG and all of his antics!! Get a grip. Loss still hurts huh? Don't worry, you'll get your chance next month. On Christs' birthday....good day to PRAY!!

Poor whiny Lakers fans still whining about the finals and bias newspaper blogs. If Kobe did this you guys would say nothing. If KG was traded to the Lakers and did this you would be fine with it and YOU KNOW IT!

re: countering my points. Maybe you wouldn't find it so
easy if you actually bothered to read what I was saying
instead of putting words in my mouth. For example: I
have not consistently argued that Trevor is as good as
shooter as Vlad. I don't believe that I've *ever* argued
that Trevor was as good of a shooter as Vlad. I have
argued that Trevor would/has worked on his jumper and
it's serviceable right now. If these two things are true,
and they are, it is illogical for you to keep mentioning that
I think Trevor is as good a shooter as Vlad and then
tear down that argument.

Posted by: hobbitmage | November 11, 2008 at 11:07 PM

=========================
Hobbitmage,

The post got very long as it usually does with Hugo Blitz.
I however would tend to agree with your position as you have logic and your oppenent just rants.

My 2 cents.

"But seriously, were that Rasheed Wallace, forget about a technical foul. A league official would have flown to Boston, rushed the court and made a citizen's arrest."

I loved that! The suspension of KG for the Bogut incident seems like a makeup call by the NBA for ignoring this incident. I agree with the blog and most of the comments that followed. For me, this year it's ABB -- anybody but Boston.


Connect

Advertisement

In Case You Missed It...

Video

All Things Lakers »

Your database for all things purple and gold.

Find a Laker

Search a name

Select a season

Choose one of our lists



Categories


Archives
 

About the Bloggers


Bleacher Report | Lakers

Reader contributions from Times partner Bleacher Report

More Lakers on Bleacher Report »



Get Alerts on Your Mobile Phone

Sign me up for the following lists:


In Case You Missed It...