It begins... sort of
The Lakers kick off the exhibition season tonight at Honda Center, and as far as meaningless pretend games go, this one ought to be relatively interesting. Fans and scribes alike will get their first look at Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol on the floor as frontcourt mates, and we'll see how the LO Experiment is faring. No doubt Phil Jackson will tinker around with a few different combinations, though, tonight and as the preseason progresses as he works through his many options. I can't be the only one wondering if the LO, Kobe, Ariza, Pau, Bynum fivesome he tested on Saturday has legs. Everyone's going to have to share minutes during the season, anyway. Might as well start now.
In other news...
- Occasionally, there are reminders that for all the perks that go along with life as an NBA player, there are scary moments, too. Luke Walton spoke with the OC Register's Kevin Ding about his experiences over the last year with a female stalker. Creepy stuff.
- Despite some lean economic times, Laker fans are renewing their season tickets at a 99% clip, about 20 above the national average.
- A week into things, defense is still the mantra. Next week? Inbound passing as a mantra!
- The natives are a little worried in San Antonio.
- Modern theatrics have finally made their way to Salt Lake City.